Hermie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Havingfun

Reaction score
I think I know the answer is not good. I have plants in a tent all Fem plants. But in another part of the room I started a seed from a friend and it is budding and looks like it is a Hermie. Question is the male going to be fertile? This does not matter but it is a girl scout cross that I hate to get rid of. I started a clone from it before I knew it was a Hermie in case things work out to keep the strain going.

no matter which way they lean (male dominant or female dominant herms) they will always beget hermaphroditic progeny.

Well I just went thru the plant and removed all the seed pods there were 5 of them total so far. But what you are saying is yes fertile and clones will always be hermie of this plant?

Also with it just showing being hermie how long before it would be before the pollen would show. Reason being I have 18 plants on there last three weeks near by and this plant that is hermie has only been in flower for 2 weeks.

just throw the plant as soon as you see the pollen sack. I would not rely on a hermie to open on time besides there may be other pollen sacks that i missed and i dont quite understand why you want to keep it

i agree with Zem, tell your friend that crap happens and it was a hermie... toss that piece of sexualy confused crap away before it actualy does throw pollin and screw your entire crop.... just aint worth it, granted its mainly female that doesnt matter a herm is a herm is a herm... end of story there so toss it reguardless of what strain it is and toss all clones of that plant as well... DO NOT waste your time with that herm...

Ok thanks I guess everyone. It is what I was expecting to hear.

Havingfun said:
Well I just went thru the plant and removed all the seed pods there were 5 of them total so far. But what you are saying is yes fertile and clones will always be hermie of this plant?

Hermie makes hermie....so yes the clones from the said plant will also have the nanners...sounds like you caught it it time..as for the latter plants ..I will tell you that it takes 3 weeks to form seed after pollen drops...IMO..I would mist the room well with water as this will kill any stray pollen...Hope this helps and all ways be awhare that seeds from bagged weed tends to be from hermie stock

:48:

How old is this hermie plant?...how long in flower?

I dont mind a late hermie...as I stated the time needed to form seed...The other down side to hermie is when its making seed it slows down on THC making

It has been in flower I am thinking 17 days now. Did not really keep track on this plant as far as time.So you are saying if I kill off pods as I see them I should be good? I only have 3 weeks in the grow tent where I have 17 Fem plants.

If you stay on top it,, you can pluck nanner til the plants is ready for harvest but you take the chance of missing a nanner or 2 before they open and seeding all your plants not just the hermie

It's not "putting out seeds" it making seeds. The male flowers(yellow nanners) are showing and producing a viable pollen if your getting seeds.

Can you post a pic?

If you are seeing true seed development in one plant in your room you should be seeing seeds on all your plants. The pollen from the "hermie' would be spread very quickly by your fans

"pollen pods" are male flowers normally they are yellow but I've seen purple hues too.

Can you post a pic?

Are you sure your getting seeds and not just swollen pistils on the female plant? On some plants the calyx swells up even tho there is no seed being produced

If more show up I will take photos. I removed the ones that were on there so not photos. I have had male plant when I first started growing so have see what a male looks like. These have just showed up in the last few days and were green. They were not like calyx they were starting to hang from there own little branch like males do.

seriously just trash the plant, since its still so early in flower and throwing actual pollin pods and not little nanners out of the bud its just not worth the risk of seeding your other crops... i would get rid of that asap, just not worth it at all, we want to keep GOOD genetics not HERMIE genetics... dont waste your time, money and resources on a crappy plant its just not worth the risks.

sunakard2000 said:
seriously just trash the plant, since its still so early in flower and throwing actual pollin pods and not little nanners out of the bud its just not worth the risk of seeding your other crops... i would get rid of that asap, just not worth it at all, we want to keep GOOD genetics not HERMIE genetics... dont waste your time, money and resources on a crappy plant its just not worth the risks.

:yeahthat:

This is why I do not use bagseeds. This seed your "friend" gave you most likely resulted from the plant selfing. You are seeing the result--your plant is hermying. There is no upside to keeping the plant and many downsides. Pollen sacs can hide in the buds and defy detection. Chances that you can pluck all the nanners off (especially since it is throwing them this early) is very low. I'm with Sunakard--it is not worth risking the rest of your crop.

The Hemp Goddess said:
:yeahthat:

This is why I do not use bagseeds. This seed your "friend" gave you most likely resulted from the plant selfing. You are seeing the result--your plant is hermying. There is no upside to keeping the plant and many downsides. Pollen sacs can hide in the buds and defy detection. Chances that you can pluck all the nanners off (especially since it is throwing them this early) is very low. I'm with Sunakard--it is not worth risking the rest of your crop.
Plant has been thrown out. Just hard to do. But the right thing.

LOL--I know that it can be hard, but if you have ever had an entire crop ruined by a hermie you wouldn't have any problems throwing it away. I have no problem getting rid of a hermie as soon as I see a single nanner. It really is heartbreaking to end up with an entire crop seeded with worthless seeds.

Latest posts

Back