Hermies?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowlyburn

Reaction score
I am beyond upset right now... 2 of my plants have seeds... ***? I am a beginner so I really have NO IDEA how this even happened??? What will cause a female to get seeds? I never in the whole grow let light hit the plants during its 12 off cycle. Never had a power outage. I had 3 males but got rid of them in the first 10-12 days of the 12/12 cycle... What did I do wrong? Can plants just be genetic for this? The 2 that had this happen were my tall plants. My short little girl looks to be all bud but I haven't chopped her down yet. I'm so sad right now... This is very discouraging for this to happen on my first indoor grow. I never saw this from my outdoor grows... Please shed some light...

where the seeds are from would be my first guess bc if they came off a herm plant then they carry the trait. after that i'd go with stress, if you know the room was light tight or not, if there weren't any light interruptions then soil issues (ie ph issues etc etc). good luck with the other girls

Lots of herms out there. Only suggestion from me is to source good clone only strains. :( sorry for your luck brother

If one of the male you got rid of got one flower to part open you can have seeds look at the buds closely you will see a flower somewhere in the buds if the plant hermied and you didnt catch it

Slowlyburn said:
I am beyond upset right now... 2 of my plants have seeds... ***? I am a beginner so I really have NO IDEA how this even happened??? What will cause a female to get seeds? I never in the whole grow let light hit the plants during its 12 off cycle. Never had a power outage. I had 3 males but got rid of them in the first 10-12 days of the 12/12 cycle... What did I do wrong? Can plants just be genetic for this? The 2 that had this happen were my tall plants. My short little girl looks to be all bud but I haven't chopped her down yet. I'm so sad right now... This is very discouraging for this to happen on my first indoor grow. I never saw this from my outdoor grows... Please shed some light...

Hold your head up, I think you did good for your first indoor grow. Realize your first grows are were you want stuff like this to happen and it will so dont be too down. Unfortunately I cannot offer you much advice for your plant situation as I am new at this as well. Just thought a few nice words of encouragement would help. Dont give up and enjoy the harvests........

I grew several males all the way out on my first grow thinking they were female, don't feel to bad.

You did have a Hermie. I saw it in the other post that you had asking when to harvest. I suspect it was genetically inclined to herm on you because it was only a couple nanners that showed. If you look back at that other post, at slide #3, in both pics you can see the 2 nanners. They are nearly dead center of the pics. Look at the large bud leaf that is at the bottom of the bud cluster. It has a little bud leaf that is at the top of it and pointing just to the left. if you look closely just to the right, above the top of the big leaf you will see what looks like a little stem with a bananna shaped yellowish thing going to the right of that little stem, and what looks like a tiny yellowish pair of lips going to the left. Those are "nanners", the proper name for them is staminate anthers, which are the pollen holders.

You may have had only those 2 nanners or you could have had more that just weren't developed or exposed enough to pick out. The hermie trait, or what we commonly refer to as the hermie trait(self pollenation) is inherent in all MJ, but in good genetics it is repressed. When the genetics start to falter or someone unknowingly breeds in higher levels of herm traits Then it doesn't take much to cause this to happen. You may not have done anything wrong.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, just put it to learning experience as everyone gets hermies sooner or later. Besides, for your first run at inside growing it looked pretty decent :)

My only advice is to get some new genetics and be sure to clean your room good as that stray pollen can hang around awhile.

If its only a few buds with seeds your be ok, if its all seeded it wont be any good.

the smoke might not be completely ruined either - i've smoked some seeded bud that was pretty strong.

lumpcore said:
the smoke might not be completely ruined either - i've smoked some seeded bud that was pretty strong.

Its if the overall plant, 80% or more is seeded it wont be any good because the plant stops producing THC to make seeds.

Ive had this happen to my most potent strain and it was all hash material.

if they show up during late flower tis completly normal andhappens on many strains, espcially when growing indicas. i also notice alot of fem seeds throw out naners on the bottom of the plant in the begining but then grow out as normal females from that point on.

Have yu ever seen any fem seeds produce completely male plants? would they be viable candidates for breeding or would that just cause more problems?

i personally never seen a fem seed go male, hermy yes but never pure male. thats a very good question, i think itll breed like normal but have the hermy gene brought out more just like other fem beans that are bred.

Well at least now I know it is kinda normal... Does everyone here run into this problem? I guess with experience I will be able to spot these nanners and just pluck them off before they seed my entire plant? When a female hermies is it the whole plant or is it the nanners that cause the whole plant to seed?

Slowlyburn said:
Well at least now I know it is kinda normal... Does everyone here run into this problem? I guess with experience I will be able to spot these nanners and just pluck them off before they seed my entire plant? When a female hermies is it the whole plant or is it the nanners that cause the whole plant to seed?

I think the information presented is a bit deceiving slowly.."Quality" genetics, should have that "very undesirable" trait bred to a minimum, AT LEAST. Good, well bred, genetics, given the proper environment, will NOT hermie.
ONLY over the past few years, has a degree hermaphrodism became acceptable.. in SOME circles. (that circle being professed ..breeders, that either lack the ability or the patience to isolate and eliminate or minimize the characteristic...IMO)
In addition, "late in flower" staminate (nanners) like puffin speaks of don't allow time for seeds to form.
All that said, you done well for your first grow. You brought them to fruitation, and you reaped a harvest. It will only get better...;)

I think the information presented is a bit deceiving slowly.."Quality" genetics, should have that "very undesirable" trait bred to a minimum, AT LEAST. Good, well bred, genetics, given the proper environment, will NOT hermie.

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: It's not normal, it's not desired and it can be avoided with good genetics and care!

In addition, "late in flower" staminate (nanners) like puffin speaks of don't allow time for seeds to form.

Right on, if you had seeds, you had a hermie early on and missed it. They're hard to see sometimes, but you now have an idea of what to watch for!

All that said, you done well for your first grow. You brought them to fruitation, and you reaped a harvest. It will only get better...

My first true attempt was bagseed in a bucket, they were hermies and males and smelled like hay. My first attempt with better equipment and knowledge brought me 10oz from a 6' OG Kush...and MMJ independence!! You're ahead of some of us already!! :)

What I have is 1 plant with normal sized seeds on the lower branches and tiny oval shaped pods with 2 pistals poking out of each on the upper parts. 1 plant with 0 seeds and 1 plant with just a bunch of these very small oval shaped pods again with the 2 pistals poking out of the tops... My plans are to just continue with the drying and curing process and then grind up a few samples to see what I really have...

I got really lucky I suppose... After trimming and inspecting I only ended up with less then 7 grams of seeded buds... I got 5 oz of great sensi buds! whew...

Latest posts

Back