High

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keyspy2

Reaction score
I am not a smoker....but my wife is, and I love her more than anything. I am planning to start growing within the next month, basically to save money. I will be using a homemade closet about 20" deep 48" wide and 72" tall, my thought is to use this closet for both vegitative and flowering, to see if I can grow anything. I have a few questions.... I think my light source will be LED, any pros-cons? This closet is in my basement, the humidty level is fine, but the temp is about 63 degrees F, is that too cold? any tips would be appreciated!

do a search here on leds
there are alot of pros and cons but nost ppl here think and air cooled hps light for flower
for veg you could go for cfl,tube floro or mh for best results
if outside your grow is cold you will just need less venting on your light to heat in your grow
just search on this site or ask lots of info and ppl here to help

:welcome: First let me say how cool it is that you are open to growing for your wife even though you don't smoke. Second, being that this is your first grow, LED would not be the right path for you to choose. In that size area you would be fine with a 400 watt HPS, and you will be happy with the results. If you didn't want to have to change the setup you could then buy what's called a metal halide conversion bulb, you would be able to run that bulb through the same ballast. The mh would be for veg and the hps would be for flower. Before you even start the seeds read, read, and then read some more. Good luck.

Thanks, I've read so much already my head is going to implode. I have not even built my grow room yet, it won't be done until the end of the month, so I still have alot of time to get this right.

I also grow for me and the Wife (I Smoke Too :D ) I use T5 Floras for Vegg and Flower.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40150

Good luck on your grow. And by the way,,yur own smoke is always better then the stuff ya buy off the street,,and much safer then buying from dealers,,,, as long as you tell,,,,,,,,, NOBODY,,,AND I MEAN NOBODY Bro, about your grow.;)

Welcome to MP. I wish my nonsmoking hubby would grow for me. He's not very crazy about my use. :p

cadlakmike1 said:
:welcome: First let me say how cool it is that you are open to growing for your wife even though you don't smoke. Second, being that this is your first grow, LED would not be the right path for you to choose. In that size area you would be fine with a 400 watt HPS, and you will be happy with the results. If you didn't want to have to change the setup you could then buy what's called a metal halide conversion bulb, you would be able to run that bulb through the same ballast. The mh would be for veg and the hps would be for flower. Before you even start the seeds read, read, and then read some more. Good luck.

So I would just buy a different bulb and use it in the same fixture but only during the veg stage?

So I would just buy this bulb and use it in the same fixture during the veg stage?

SmokinMom said:
Welcome to MP. I wish my nonsmoking hubby would grow for me. He's not very crazy about my use. :p

My wife puts up with alot of my crap.... I make homade beer, sauerkraut and about anything else that makes a mess. this is the least I can do for her.

SmokinMom said:

My Wife gave me crap for 21 of our 23 years of our Marriage. Now she helps me with our girls and smokes as much as I do. She was just saying yesterday how she couldnt believe I finally got her to Smoking.:hubba:
It replaced her Sleeping Meds.:ignore: Now she sleeps like a baby. My buddies laugh cause her eyes or squinched and almost shut when she is stonned.:D

keyspy2 said:
So I would just buy this bulb and use it in the same fixture during the veg stage?

Yes, you would buy a High pressure sodium bulb and ballast. Nothing will outperform this for flowering. Then you would buy a metal halide conversion bulb, the conversion part is important otherwise it won't run in the HPS ballast. You will veg under the MH, it will be left on 24 hrs a day, then when you are ready to start flowering you could simply change the bulb to the HPS and switch the light cycle to 12 hours on 12 hours off using a timer.

I do it this way because I don't want to have to keep switching my grow room around to accomodate different bulbs. (plus my grow room is too small to fit the T5 setup I own) It costs a little more in electricity than running flourescents, but seeing as how much money I save by not having to buy pot, I justify it. When I set up a seperate room for veg and flower I will use fourescents in the veg room so my ballast can be running in the flower room.

Latest posts

Back