Home of the Old Fart's Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all, cup of Joe and a my vape pen....then off to do some yard work today. Beautiful days and nights in the spring. Wont be long till summer comes back now. Peace

Morning O.F.C. !-- I have seen the error of my ways !-- From now on -- I'm tow the line !-- Not gonna start any more trouble or anything !-- Even gonna clean my act up and start going to church !

U do know what today is ?

Morning O.F.C...raining still....:48:.......shingles, don't know when I have had this type of pain..
Keef your gear is looking fabulous....
Wh...Looks like she is revegging...

Oh man Cane, i hate that for you. Does anything help? So sorry. I think you made me want to get the shot. Hang in there.

Keef, ya got me. lol till i got to the church part. Happy april fools day.

woodhippy, that is a pretty plant is she going to reveg? whats up with the single blade leaves?

We got some more roses pruned yesterday in the sunshine. neither one of us can move now, but oh well. lol... almost done.

G'morning folks. I been missing for a few days 'cause I'm down with the flu. I ache from head to toe and one minute I;m freezing, next minute I'm sweating. Friend of mine came by a couple of days ago and shared a doobie with me. What a guy.

Feel better soon St Nick.. that is one lousy friend to share the flu with you.

Cane Sorry about the shingles. No re veg She is under 12-12 for 2 week.
Keef not fooling me.

Morning Potheads.
Sorry bought your pain Cain. One of my best friends just got over the same thing. He had it on his face.
Love ya Rose.

Well I think Pete is St Peter, and we do things for his sake because he stands at the gate to heaven. I think this where the saying comes from.

Umbra, I shoulda known I'd get an answer from you! But, I do believe I read that or was told that at some time in my life. Kinda forgot about it til now. Surprised, as usually all I do remember is useless tidbits of information!

They originated as substitutes for something stronger—“for Christ's sake,” “for God's sake,” “for the love of God,” and so on. The Oxford English Dictionary explains that the name “Pete” in these exclamations is chiefly “a euphemistic replacement” for God
The phrase “for Pete’s sake” was first recorded in 1903, according to OED citations, followed by “for the love of Pete” in 1906, and “in the name of Pete” in 1942.
The intent, in case you didn’t already know, is to express “exasperation or annoyance,” the dictionary says.
Why “Pete” rather than “Phil” or “Fred” or “Percy”?
We don’t know, though the Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins speculates (without offering any evidence) that whoever coined “for Pete’s sake” may have had St. Peter in mind.
These “Pete” expressions belong to a large class of euphemistic phrases that developed as substitutes for more irreverent oaths.

Lefty ain't working so well today !-Frustrating! -- -- I got 4-5 more those little things to trim maybe later maybe even tommorrow !--

What up Hopper ?

Bud I'm wait another week or so to move that Strawberry back to bloom !-- That's some clean pollen !-- How U do that ? -- I lean a blooming boy over far enough to get the top in a paper bag and slap it around !-- I get lots of the little male flowers in it and stuff !-- I then take it to the girl and put a limb or top in the paper bag and slap it around !-- Got to be careful not to turn your pollen bag upside down !--

I got a question for Kraven --Nick or whoever knows about making liquor --- I ferment my mash --Then freeze it off like I do now -- What I want to know is what happened to the heads ?--Does it have something to do with the ice and surface area ? -- Anyway sometimes I'm not happy with how it turns out --- So I freeze 10 gallons down to one --Let's just say-- IF-- I had a small stovetop still-- I don't have to worry about the nasties in the head ?-- Just cook it off !--

When the time comes should I turn the green dragon loose on the local yokels ? -- I'm a sick man !

Keef the alcohols in the wash begin to vaporize around specific temperatures.

If by themselves they would be ...

Acetone 56.5C (134F)

Methanol (wood alcohol) 64C (147F)

Ethyl acetate 77.1C (171F)

Ethanol 78C (172F) - the prime cut

2-Propanol (rubbing alcohol) 82C (180F)

1-Propanol 97C (207F)

Water 100C (212F)

Fortunately for us though, each of the alcohols will tend to dominate around its boiling point temperature, thus we know whats "mostly" coming off at that point. By tracking the temperature of the vapor, you have a fairly good idea when you're collecting the Ethanol your after (172 °F), vs when it is starting to get lean and you're into the higher alcohols.

Since your not distilling I am not sure of the chemistry Keef, my thinking is your not really getting rid of the Acetone and that will make you go blind, but all wines and beers have ethanol in them so I would need a chemistry lesson. I would have to look into the process and see your exact method...my guess is your creating very little, but it is still in there, just not separated from the other alcohols. When I distill I know the texture and smell of the forshots.....years of practice....it's oily and smells just like Acetone. The head is what smells mostly like whiskey and the prime cut has a whole different smell, it's clear and you know it's pure ethanol....tails smells just like a hot wet dog and tastes the same. ;)

I will say I always run my distillate twice, and then do a custom blend by mixing in some of the heads and tails with the prime cut to get a good blended whiskey, then I will oak that for 6-8 months in charred white oak barrels. If I'm just after smooth straight grain alcohol, I will just run the prime thought twice to try and get out as much of the other alcohols out as possible. Best way to distill if you have little or no practice is by getting a fractionating still, it will let you monitor the temps and you can keep it in the sweet spot after distilling of the acetone. Using a pot / submarine still like I use you get a smear of the alcohols so it take lots of practice to make good shine verses just making grain alcohol.

Good morning everyone hope everyone's off to an excellent start I'm joining Keef in playing the chopping game :48: talk to you guys in a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back