how do i raise my soil ph

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evz355

evz355
Reaction score
i have been watering my plants using rain water with the ph adjusted to 6.7 ,6.8 and last watering i tested the run off and got readings of 6.17,6.19,and 5.98 from the run off of my three plants.what should the ph of my soil be and how do i get it there.thanks in advance.

Hello Evs :)

Alter your PH to 7 then check the run off, your soil is lowering your PH, so if higher PH is used, your soil will lower it.

Your aiming for a run off of 6.5 ;)

:peace:

You can water in some 'sweet lime' to raise the ph of your soil at a rate of 1TB/gal. Hydrated lime is similar but pretty caustic and should be used very sparingly.

PH of the soil and PH of the runoff are related but they are two different factors. In my opinion, with soil the accuracy of the reading depends on the quality of the measureing meter. A soil probe pH meter with a detailed, graduated readings scale, tends to be pretty accurate. A cheap, general range soil pHmeter, will only give you a ballpark reading (I trust these less).

With using runoff water to measure pH, you tend to get more influence from the pH of the water being used than the soil, which can skew the reading. For soil pH measurement, a good quality soil probe pH meter is best. The kind I speak of has a flexible wire run in a protective casing to the hard probe. The scale on the meter is much more detailed and these tend to cost between $ 30 and $ 60. Rapi-Test Brand is a really accurate soil pH meter with a good service life. The key to years of service, is to rinse off and dry off the soil probe after use. I have one that is 5 years old, that still reads very accurately.

Rapidtest.jpg

i will increase my water ph and see how i go thanks.that soil meter looks sweet i might have to get one of those.

4u2sm0ke said:
IMO...the soil testers are no good...dont waste you money

Hi 4u2...

Do they never work for you? What brand tester have you used? I gotta respectfully disagree on this one. My family has been in the horiculture biz for decades and whenever I've visited serious commercial greenhouses or an organic cooperative, etc. they use probe meters for frequently checking the soil. I often see the more expensive meters like these pics below in the larger operations but many of the smaller setups use the RapidTest and mine sure works.

Peace!:cool:

Kelway.jpg

ControlWizPH.jpg

I bought the soil tester on the left months ago.
See how the needle is at 7.0.
No matter where i stick that probe, wet soil, dry soil, outside soil, MG, FFOF, it all reads 6.9 - 7.1.
After i bought the one the right ( NOT a soil tester, its for water ) it made all the difference. Also i bought the PPM meter which i have not used yet.

I think THAT particular soil tester is CRAPOLA ! to be nice about it.
I guess you get what you pay for.

my .02 - :eek:

no matter where you stick that thing, it will read 7. i bought one at our local hardware store 2 years ago. it has never left 7. these rapid-test meters are a waste of your hard earned cash.

your info is always spot on dos. but i have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

Mrkingford, hey.:) . i have both of the meters on the right.;) , they will not let you down. i've checked each one against some high dollar meters, such as truncheon, and the hanna all in ones, and they are spot on , every time. had them just over a year, and it's all good...

IRISH said:
my .02 - :eek:

Mrkingford, hey.:) . i have both of the meters on the right.;) , they will not let you down. i've checked each one against some high dollar meters, such as truncheon, and the hanna all in ones, and they are spot on , every time. had them just over a year, and it's all good...

Thats good to know, thanks.
I was planning on buying higher dollar ones when money allowed, but now i think i'll stick to these for a bit.

Hey, IRISH, can you explain how you use the blue PPM meter?
I have'nt used it yet because i'm confused about the way to use it.
Thanks in advance.

hXXp://www.rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product86.html

$117 is too much.

Digital is the way to go.

the primo ppm meter is very easy to use. put it in the solution, then turn it on, and it will give you the reading in ppm's in seconds. the box says to store it in tap water only, never in ro, or distilled, only tap. also, the milwaukee ph pen states the same; only tap water.

i change the tap about 2-3 times a week that i store these meters in. they are actually right in front of me at my pc, so i remember to change it.;) .

i start my dwc out in tap water, with a ppm of 250. i will veg at this for 2 weeks, then gradually bump it up in intervals of 100^. if it looks like it was to much the following day, i simply take it back down to the previous reading...

HippyInEngland said:
hXXp://www.rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product86.html

$117 is too much.

Digital is the way to go.

:eek: , 117 for a dirt meter. lol.

i bought the rapid test for $6. i want my money back.;) .

the digi milwaukee test pen was $22 new on ebay, and worth every dollar.
i got the milwaukee, and the primo ppm both for under $50. very happy camper.:) :watchplant: :48:

imo its easier taming the water than it is taming the soil for required ph especially if youre using tap water for plants since it has to sit for chlorine to evaporte anyway, plus tap water ph changes over time.

dirtyolsouth said:
Hi 4u2...

Do they never work for you? What brand tester have you used? I gotta respectfully disagree on this one. My family has been in the horiculture biz for decades and whenever I've visited serious commercial greenhouses or an organic cooperative, etc. they use probe meters for frequently checking the soil. I often see the more expensive meters like these pics below in the larger operations but many of the smaller setups use the RapidTest and mine sure works.

No they dont as you see others have said what im about to....

They are in accurate..use the water one...flush yer plants withh 3 time the container size withh PH ballanced water...wait 30 minutes..then run another container and collect the run off..this is what i test..I dont test soil on account i know what is in it....If my water is right...my plants are right:D ...and some things do work for some and not others..Just my thaughts..im going to smoke my bong now

IRISH said:
the primo ppm meter is very easy to use. put it in the solution, then turn it on, and it will give you the reading in ppm's in seconds. the box says to store it in tap water only, never in ro, or distilled, only tap. also, the milwaukee ph pen states the same; only tap water.

i change the tap about 2-3 times a week that i store these meters in. they are actually right in front of me at my pc, so i remember to change it.;) .

quote]

I wasnt aware you needed to store them in water. I never used the ppm meter yet and the Hanna PH meter says to put a moist paper towel inside the cap of the meter to store.
CAN YOU POST A PIC of how you store these in water?
Are they in a jar, cup? you cant let go water go above the line so how do you store them in water?

Thanks in advance

Wow... :rolleyes: to each their own... :eek: Mine actually reads around 6.2 - 6.7 in my soil mix most of the time except when I get my beneficial beaties a bit too active when it drops and rises back up. It goes up and down the same amount as my runoff does so it sure seems to be accurate IME. What's really important is the final product I guess so whatever method you use to keep your ph in line doesn't really matter...

Latest posts

Back