How Do you get a Bigger main stem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rb2006

Reaction score
I am trying to have a bigger stem to support bigger buds is there a better way to do thi like change my lighting around? I have my light at 18/6 for veg and 12/12 for flowering. any help or advise is accepted Thanks.

100_22342.jpg

Best way imo is to keep a fan blowing on them 24/7. There are some supercropping techniques that I've read strengthen the stems- do a search- but I've never tried myself. They look about 1/2" thick. Planning on some big buds? Good luck to you.

Dont point you fan directly at your plants though they dont like that.Enough air circulation to make them sway slightly is all good. I did read once that rocking them by hand for a while every day will thicken stems up to but seems a bit brutal to me not to mention time consuming. A fan is fine.

Yes fan indirectly will help. If they are seedling, transplanting them deeper can help. Fluoros too far away will make them stretch. Some is without a doubt a genetic trait. Some strains grow very vine like and need propping up to hold the weight of the buds.

Yes, a fan is the best way, mother nature uses wind :hubba: I have a fan blowing on mine 24/7 (on circulation mode) and my stems are like the size of a sharpie and they are 5 weeks - they have grown since the pic in my journal.

Good luck...:)

:48:

It seems to me that the more room there is for your roots to grow, the bigger the main stem will grow. You're doing a hydro grow, so I don't know exactly how that works. In general, the bigger the container that your plant is in, the bigger the plant and main stem will get.

from what i know, even though i am a newbie to this site, is the plant will adapt to its surroundings...to a certain point of course... just give it some more wind and rotate your fans... even though they may rotate, the plant will get used to the pattern of wind... so, trick the plant a little, but be gentle! that's what i would do...

You can extend the veg period, use supplements like silcon to help strengthen the cell walls (or some such thing) and recover from damage. You can pinch the stems during veg (look for posts about supercropping). Even little things like making sure the plant is as healthy as put through as little stress as possible will result in thicker stronger stems. The more you stress the stem the thicker it will become as a response (within reason).

Here is the skinny,

Getting your plant's trunk to thicken up is a simple thing to do, but consider what it is in nature that does this job for you. There is almost always air movement outdoors. Sometimes it can gust so high as to damage plants.

Then there is the tracking of the sun all day from morning until evening. Plants do follow the light source.
Indoors you can recreate this with a bit of air-circulation, (Fan). Do not blow the air directly at your girls, but instead allow it to make the air move around.
You may find that you will have to temporarily support a weak stalk, but that is an easy fix. Just be gentle with the little ones. Also, yes, the environment does decree what can and cannot happen in a grow.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna :cool:

pretty much just what everyone else said. but i say dont be scared to put it on high setting. i have blasted some for a ll day before with the oscillating fan, only to come back a day later to see they were actually leaning into the wind slightly and were already noticeably thicker! Just make sure its an oscillating fan

Booyashaka:lama: ---------------------------------------------thats just cool

ya get bigger stalk if you grow it outdoor for long time..

yes indoor.. air circulation, deeper anchor on that hydro., along with bigger space to hold in... just like for soils.. bigger pot,, and add more soils on the top (blanket little more on the stalk } of soils..
really, is stalk that important to get that big? unless you keeping a mother for longtime.. then its a ideal!!

papabeach1 said:
ya get bigger stalk if you grow it outdoor for long time..

yes indoor.. air circulation, deeper anchor on that hydro., along with bigger space to hold in... just like for soils.. bigger pot,, and add more soils on the top (blanket little more on the stalk } of soils..
really, is stalk that important to get that big? unless you keeping a mother for longtime.. then its a ideal!!

What I am tryig to do is grow a plant for a few months inside to get it as big as poss. and then putting it outside at the begining of summer and letting it flower.

make sure to read the outdoor section well most ppl say put it out for an hour the first day 2 hours the second to climatize it to the temp and other things

Check out supercropping. I've been doing it for the first time on my latest batch and these are the thickest stems I've ever had in 4 yrs of growing.

Latest posts

Back