How long will seeds remain viable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehab is for Quitters

Reaction score
I am storing mine in a cool dry location....so how long will they be good? I've learned how to clone, but have a bunch of seeds left that I would like to save for future need. Anything special I can do to extend their life? TIA

Put them in a zip-lock bag in a plastic container in the ridge and ive heard there viable for up to 3+ years. :)

Keep them in a dark, dry, and decent temperature and they should be viable for at least 3-5 years. I probably wouldn't keep them longer than that but that's just personal opinion. I'm sure they would be viable for probably twice the time I stated above but I wouldn't. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

Cole said:
Put them in a zip-lock bag in a plastic container in the ridge and ive heard there viable for up to 3+ years. :)

Thanks, Cole. You mean the 'fridge' right....as in refrigerator? I've always heard you should store them in a "cool dry location" but never heard about storing them in the fridge. Can they be frozen or will that ruin them?

Rehab is for Quitters said:
Thanks, Cole. You mean the 'fridge' right....as in refrigerator? I've always heard you should store them in a "cool dry location" but never heard about storing them in the fridge. Can they be frozen or will that ruin them?

If they are fresh seeds, give them at least a 30 day drying period before long term storage. I prefer to store them in an airtight container/vile (film canister) with several grains of rice or other 'desicant'. They store well for 5+ years in the "crisper" drawer of the refridgerator. IME, post 5 yrs., the germination rate starts to decrease.
Freezing them is also an option. BUT.. "I have read", that frozen seeds are more prone to being damaged and should only be defrosted once for best results.
Either/or... heat and moisture are your enemy... ;)

I get the cool dry place and and i use the film canisters but whats with the rice is that to keep excess moisture from building up while storing. Ive got a tube (m&m minis :D) of seeds (random) that ive been keeping for a number of years now (about 8) and so far all the ones ive tried from it have come up.

Freezing done in an extremly controlled environment can prolong the life of a seed indefinitly. However, the largest seed bank (all plants, not for sale) is like 30 miles away from the artic circle. This type of storage is impossible for the likens of us. The fridge is your friend. Temp ranges are best for a few years. Freezing will take them longer, but Hick has the right idea. Say your power goes out (over the last five years, has it never gone out?), this will defrost your seeds and decrease the life span. Take the advice stated above. Good luck man. The gold is not in the weed, it's in the seed.

Hick said:
If they are fresh seeds, give them at least a 30 day drying period before long term storage. I prefer to store them in an airtight container/vile (film canister) with several grains of rice or other 'desicant'. They store well for 5+ years in the "crisper" drawer of the refridgerator. IME, post 5 yrs., the germination rate starts to decrease.
Freezing them is also an option. BUT.. "I have read", that frozen seeds are more prone to being damaged and should only be defrosted once for best results.
Either/or... heat and moisture are your enemy... ;)

Thanks, Hick. When you say 'give them a 30 day drying period' what do you mean exactly?

Right now they're in the tiny baggie they came in (in a "cool dry location" of course). Should I take them out of the baggie and leave them out in the open air to dry or what?

Rehab is for Quitters said:
Thanks, Hick. When you say 'give them a 30 day drying period' what do you mean exactly?

Right now they're in the tiny baggie they came in (in a "cool dry location" of course). Should I take them out of the baggie and leave them out in the open air to dry or what?

Oh I think I get what you're saying (maybe). By "fresh" seeds, do you mean home grown seeds?

These are seeds I ordered from a seed bank. Can I put them in a container with rice right into the crisper drawer or do I need to do something to them first?

you got it RIFQ... "fresh seeds".. fresh off your own plants.. :)

I would think that seeds from a seedbank, would be ready for storage as is. I don't think I would even remove them from the baggies. Just add rice and store 'em.

Latest posts

Back