How much can a plant eat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickFoster

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the correct place to post this but I grow hydroponically and soil growers don't use high ppm's. I read a lot of posts that indicate a lot of people use a very high ppm nutrient solution - some as high as 1800 ppm. Can a plant utilize all of the nutrients in a solution with 1800 ppm? Or is it just a waste of nutrients? I know that some plants can tolerate very high ppm's and grow well - but is it necessary to be that high? Would they grow just as well with a nute solution of say 1000 ppm's?

Your plant will start showing signs of nute burn when the ppms get too high. I can say that I have never grown a strain that I was able to take over 1200. I start my nutes out low and keep bumping up every res change until they show signs of nute burn and then I back off a little. IMO, this is really the only way to go since some strains like a higher ppm and some utilize nutes well and will fry at higher ppms.

Thanks HG - I do the same thing as you do regarding bumping up the ppm's with each nute change. I was hoping someone that understands plant physiology could answer my question.

Its also a good idea to let your PH swing either side of 'ideal'

THG answered your question.

If you went into McD and ordered 50 burgers, after burger number 6 you would start to look ill.

So only order 4 burgers.

:peace:

Thanks Hippy! But what I want to know is whether a plant will grow just as good with a ppm of 1000 as it will with a ppm of 1800 - assuming the 1000 ppm fulfills its nutrient requirements and the 1800 ppm doesn't burn it? Is going high on the ppm's just a waste of nutrients?

MickFoster said:
Thanks Hippy! But what I want to know is whether a plant will grow just as good with a ppm of 1000 as it will with a ppm of 1800 - assuming the 1000 ppm fulfills its nutrient requirements and the 1800 ppm doesn't burn it? Is going high on the ppm's just a waste of nutrients?

Just my opinion yes its a waste.

If the plant "needs" anything then you will start to see signs of deficiency or slow growth.
Too much and you see signs of burning.

Increasing everything that promotes photosynthesis will increase growth not just food.

:yeahthat: i'd reckon it'd be hard to tell until you're maxxing out on lumens and CO2. i mean, athletes eat more because they burn more calories. but feed that same amount to me and well... i'd look like i do now-overweight/unhealthy. i'm no botany expert, just my 2 cents.

MickFoster said:
Thanks HG - I do the same thing as you do regarding bumping up the ppm's with each nute change. I was hoping someone that understands plant physiology could answer my question.

The answer to your question in NO.
What HG told you is the only correct way of growing any type of plant. Comparing hydro and soil is like comparing grapes and oranges. In hydro less nutes is way better than to many nutes, more nutes in a hydro system does NOT equal larger plants. In a hydro system feeding the plants with more nutes than they can handle will burn, kill, any plant.

MickFoster said:

Take your ppm metter and throw that thing in the trash and forget about ppm numbers. You need to learn how to read your plants with a naked eye.
All you need to know is the number of your ph, the temp in your rez, air temp at the top of your plant cannopy, humidity level, 4 numbers that is it.

Pepper said:
The answer to your question in NO.
What HG told you is the only correct way of growing any type of plant. Comparing hydro and soil is like comparing grapes and oranges. In hydro less nutes is way better than to many nutes, more nutes in a hydro system does NOT equal larger plants. In a hydro system feeding the plants with more nutes than they can handle will burn, kill, any plant.

I don't know where you came up with the fact that I was comparing soil to hydro!!! I'm fully aware that too many nutes can burn my plant - I've been growing for over 10 years. It was a hypothetical question! It seems that GrowDude is the only one that understood and answered my question.

Pepper said:
Take your ppm metter and throw that thing in the trash and forget about ppm numbers. You need to learn how to read your plants with a naked eye.
All you need to know is the number of your ph, the temp in your rez, air temp at the top of your plant cannopy, humidity level, 4 numbers that is it.

WOW! It's quite irresponsible of you IMO, to tell somebody to throw their ppm meter in the trash. All I can say is WOW! :eek:

Pepper said:

LOL--while I would not tell anyone to throw their ppm meter away, it is probably the least needed of all the different types of meters/testers that we use. You do get a "feel" for what your plants can use and need after a while. :hubba:

Latest posts

Back