HPS/Electricity/money?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LassChance

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me about how much my light bill will go up if I use one 400w HPS 12 hours a day...or, if I get a 600, ,about how much more?
Reason I ask is, I really have no idea if it's a few bucks or a hundred! Im leaning toward getting a 600w, but...duh...how much will my light bill JUMP?

400 watts x 12 hours = 4800 watts of power consumed or 4.8 kWh

4.8 kilowatts x $0.07 kWh = $0.34 per 12 hour light cycle or $10.08 per month plus tax. This $0.07 is what my electric company charges me yours might be different.

Figure round numbers about 15 bucks for the 400w and 20 bucks for the 600w dont forget its not only the light, you must also think about the fans (cooling / exaust) the bigger the light you use the larger the fans you will need, so add everything up to get you monthly cost before you buy everything.

pcduck said:
400 watts x 12 hours = 4800 watts of power consumed or 4.8 kWh

4.8 kilowatts x $0.07 kWh = $0.34 per 12 hour light cycle or $10.08 per month plus tax. This $0.07 is what my electric company charges me yours might be different.

OH! Well, bless your heart! That's nothing! I was thinking LOTS more, like maybe 80, 100. Shoot...aint nuthin but a meatball. What a relief! I was thinking Id have to NOT use the air conditioner or something, LOL. Whew, really, what a relief. Thanks!

Lass

Pepper said:
Figure round numbers about 15 bucks for the 400w and 20 bucks for the 600w dont forget its not only the light, you must also think about the fans (cooling / exaust) the bigger the light you use the larger the fans you will need, so add everything up to get you monthly cost before you buy everything.

Gotcha. I had a totally wrong notion, I can see. In my mind, 400 or 600 w sounded like a HUGE expenditure of power, like the electric company would notice this HUGE jump and come check to see how I could possibly be using THAT much electricity...LOL! a little paranoia plus a good dose of electrical ignorance, duh. OK, then! the 600 it shall be! tra la, happy, now. Thanks

Thanks for bringing up that question Lass. I was wondering myself.
I got a box of CLF blubs. Day I start my grow. Im switching every bulb in the house in hopes the wife sees no changes in the bills. Cause Im gettin old, and dont recover from concussions as quick as I use to.

Spearchucker, hahaha sounds like my situation.
But think of this: If you're still using old incadescents you're crazy, because they use huge amounts! F'rinstance, I have two chandeliers in my main living room with 8 sockets each. We used to have 16 x 40W bulbs in those. That is 640 watts! Replaced by 160 watts worth of CFLs = a saving of 480 watts, plenty to make a grow with.

Im in a new house though leafminer. Just been here a year and a half. All the bulbs are still the ones the builders put in for the most part. I bought a couple little boxes of the CFL bulbs to replace 1 by 1 as they go out. But Im just going to do a complete switchover all at once now.

You just made me so glad about not installing chandeliers in the new home. We had 2 in the old, and 1 was to come with building of this house. But their all still packed in boxes. Probably just give them to the kids.

LassChance, the PC your using to be here on this site uses about or just a little more power to run then a 400watt HPS would use. And most people never shut their PC's down they just leave them run. So if you leave your PC run 24/7 then shut it down for 12 hours a day and you'll not see a diffrence in your energy bill also replace all lights in your house with CFL's this will help...take care..

Latest posts

Back