HPS lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeup420

Reaction score
hey so i guess ima buy hps lighting. as of right now im growin one plant in a small box.(auto). i have it under cfl's right now.its 5 days old right now from germination. i dont wanna go buy a big ficture, like 250 watt. sooo whats the lowest wattage i can go?the reasom im asking cuz idk how many lumes each put out.. so iff anyone can lemme know what wattage to get. im thinkin of a security hps light...?no?

The size of your light will depend on how much growspace you want to illuminate, your goal should be about 5000 lumens a Sq/Ft.... With that in mind, you say you have one plant, it would be a matter of how big you want your one plant to get..... If ya keep it small and compact you can get away with a 150 watt light or so.... However if you want to grow a larger plant with better yield maybe a 400 is better......

Also another concern for your box would be heat, the larger the light, the more heat and ventilation you would need......

To be able to give you a better idea of what you might want, let uys know the size of your grow area L&W&H, and any other information you can think of.

my box is 1'8'' long,2'1'' tall,1'1'' wide. im prob gonna get a lil bit bigger box tomarow seeing i have a lil more room to squeez into.im growing an auto..im thinkin 150 would fit fine. but yea help, do the math for me i suck lol

why thank you so much.um one more wuestion, would it be a good idea to releas some c02 from my bb gun into the area every once in a while?

i found one 70$ for gardens up to 3’ x 3’ ( 9 square feet )

System includes:
- Brand New REMOTE 150 watt HPS BALLAST and Components
- Brand New HORIZONTAL REFLECTOR with 10’ cord
- Brand New HIGH OUTPUT 150w HPS Bulb (16,000 lumens!)
thats all i ned right? plus i nneda make a good vent.

Supplemental CO2 would only be a real help if you can get your grow area totally sealed and airtight..... also the temps in your grow would need to be on the higher side, close to 90ish F, to raise the metabolism of the plants to use the extra CO2.

That being said, the extra CO2 wont hurt heh, but the help it might give you would be negligible.

wat u mean negligible? and the temp is around that right now. i dnt have a good fan. gonna get one tomarrow. now is it bad for a plant to be at that temp?when the lights r off its like 77

smokeup420 said:
wat u mean negligible? and the temp is around that right now. i dnt have a good fan. gonna get one tomarrow. now is it bad for a plant to be at that temp?when the lights r off its like 77

If your grow is not totally sealed where you can saturate your foilage with the extra CO2, it will have little effect if any....

You should try to keep your temps 70-80 F or so during lights on. not saying you cant grow outside that range, just makes it easier.

ok well il just upgrade the fan. now if i some how find away to seal everything, is their an amount i shouldnt exceed? and should i do it while the lights are off or on?..

Lights on and I am not sure as to the level you would want to use... might wanna do some searching and find it...

ight coo thanks allot man, anyone else just have w.e info post it =]

if its in a small area then co2 is not needed if you check on them a lot. the fact your in there talking gives them enough co2 in that small of area. as cg said unless you have a tight room its not bennifical, most people that use it have big grow areas.hope that helps. also thats just my take on it.

If you are exchanging the air in your space 3-4 times a minute, your plants are getting enough CO2. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, I would recommend a larger grow space. IMO, you are really going to have a tough time with that small a space.

Also, don't repy on the sales hype--a 150W will not light a 3 x 3 space. A 150W is good for about 3 sq ft, not 3 ft square:D

Latest posts

Back