hybrid drip/dwc question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Socrates

Reaction score
I have a dwc with a single drip line in each basket, I was wondering if I need to cycle the drip (if so then how long) or if I can leave it on 24/7?

Leave it on 24/7 if ya want.. DWC your roots are in solution all the time anyway.....

Only 2 reasons I can think of to add a dripper to a dwc... 1) seedling stage where the rockwook and roots are not in solution yet, and 2) If you are incorporating a rez and feeding multiple units....

Other than those 2 reasons, I cannot think of a reason for drippers in DWC.

We wanted to use less water in our system to more easily manage ph and use less nutes, i think it might help keep more air in the water as well. but since they're still pretty young, all but one don't have long enough roots to reach the water surface, so we have drip lines in the baskets to help the roots get water until they can reach the surface, but i don't really see a reason to remove the drip once they do, so i'll probably just leave it in for the whole grow.

I use a hybrid drip system in my BC northern Lights Producer. Once the seedlings have a well established root system that touches the water underneath, you will only need the pump to come on twice a day for 5 minutes each time. This will help keep the res stirred up, and keep salt build up off your root system. I have mine set to come on 5 minutes before the lights come on and then 12 hours after that. It works well. I have also used the same set up on my DYI Tub Style DWC systems, if you do a side by side with one unit using the drip and the other not you can see why it is beneficial.

BuddyLuv said:
I use a hybrid drip system in my BC northern Lights Producer. Once the seedlings have a well established root system that touches the water underneath, you will only need the pump to come on twice a day for 5 minutes each time. This will help keep the res stirred up, and keep salt build up off your root system. I have mine set to come on 5 minutes before the lights come on and then 12 hours after that. It works well. I have also used the same set up on my DYI Tub Style DWC systems, if you do a side by side with one unit using the drip and the other not you can see why it is beneficial.

We were planing on teasing the roots once they have all reached the water surface, should we keep the drip on 24/7 or go ahead and switch to 5 min every 12 hours while doing this?

Bring your water level up so that it touches the bottom of the net pot. They will root fatser this way. Once you have a nice root system switch it to twice a day.

Latest posts

Back