I need help with tric pictures..what am I looking at?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnneyB

Reaction score
I have two lowlife ak-47 x hindu kush at day 74....I have never harvested going by trics before and so I want to get this right...these pics look like they have cloudly trics and no amber am I right?

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

Darn I thought close ups would be closer...sorry I am sure its hard to see trics but any thought about colors would help....guesses anyone?

Not magnafy(?) enough I beleive you are confusing the pistols(hairs) for trichisomes.
The trich are the dimond dust looking coating on the buds everywhere.

I would guess that they are very close, if not done. They appear to be "in the harvest window", just depends on what part of the window you want to chop. If I had no smoke I would chop..JMO. Very hard to tell without a scope.

I see amber and few cloudy ! But drinking ... Bundy Rum... And the next is for you ! YYYeeehaaa ! Lovely ! Well anyway can you show a micro shot ? The trichs Please !

I don't want to guess - trichromes will start to become milky color gradually. The "stem" of the trichrome will change first and as the "heads" begin to change the same color you can decide when you think things are ready. If any begin to change to an Amber color your going to far - this means the THC is degrading slightly and buds are over-ripening. When ever I'm waiting for things to ripen I use a variety of aspects to judge maturity. The trichs are an important factor, I'll look at the general stigma coloration ratio and the swollen structure of the buds as a whole also. Your third photo makes things look a litlle more mature, however I'm not sure as to the first two. They all look great though - good luck.........

I'm at about the same point you are, desperately waiting to see some amber. When I take the close-up pix, the plants being under the grow lights tends to confuse me, casting a slight yellowish/amberish hue on things that are not amber. The light in the RadioShack pocket microscope is also yellowish, and also confuses me. Your 3rd pic above makes it a lot easier to see true colors. If ya can manage a closer close-up, without the grow lights on, it might be easier to judge.

Just through casual observation and not taking the trichs into consideration, I'd say that the first two pics show a plant that is ready to harvest.

buy an Eyeclopse and you will get great pics of the trich's.

if you have never harvested by trichs then take some samples a few days apart and then notice what the trichs look like then dry the samples and then you can decide which high you prefer. then you will know for that strain when the best time to harvest is.

btw, the 3rd pic looks sticky....mmmmmmmmm

jmansweed said:
I don't want to guess - trichromes will start to become milky color gradually. The "stem" of the trichrome will change first and as the "heads" begin to change the same color you can decide when you think things are ready. If any begin to change to an Amber color your going to far - this means the THC is degrading slightly and buds are over-ripening. When ever I'm waiting for things to ripen I use a variety of aspects to judge maturity. The trichs are an important factor, I'll look at the general stigma coloration ratio and the swollen structure of the buds as a whole also. Your third photo makes things look a litlle more mature, however I'm not sure as to the first two. They all look great though - good luck.........

Hi jmansweed,

I'm afraid that's not quite right as amber trichs are not a sign of over maturity as many strains don't even produce many amber trichs but have them interspersed with cloudy/clear ones.

Sativa's can produce a lot though although this is strain dependent.You make a point about thc degradation and oxidation can make the trichs go a dull brown but this isnt on the plant but is the result of poor storage or on very old pot.

@JonneyB.

They look pretty much done as Alistair says and I'd give them another week but my preference is a very mature finish and think far too much is made of the clear/cloudy business myself but thats just me.

Latest posts

Back