I want to take clones then flower donor plant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Team GREEN

Reaction score
I have a plant 7 wks into vegging (it's an unknown bagseed). It's 18+ inches tall with alot of female preflowers. I used LST on the plant. It has produced about 9 good budding sites.

I want to use this plant for my FIRST ATTEMPT AT CLONING.
I plan on taking the less developed branches at the bottom that won't reach the top.
I have the following tools: hum. dome, Hormex(rooting solution), rockwool, 3 x 13 watt(equals 60 watts) 3000K CFLs, razor/scissors and all other misc. stuff.

A few questions:
1. Given what I have, what is the best approach to prepare my clones?
2. I want to take some clones then put the plant into flower....is this ok?
3. How close to the stem should I make the cut?
4. The plant is quite bushy...aside from cuttings for clones should I trim off any of the underbrush before I put it into 12/12?

I HAVE done my research but its nice to get some personal feedback...I don't mean to ask obvious/redundant questions...just want to be thorough (and peace of mind). Like I stated, ultimately, I just want to take some clones off a donor plant then put the plant into flower. What's the best way to go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Just make sure when you take the clones that some will survive before you throw your plant into flower.

3000K is the wrong light spectrum for cloning, it's very heavy in red light, which is only wanted in flowering. You want more of a blue spectrum, so shop for bulbs that are heavy in blue (6500K).

I would give the plant some time to recover from the cuttings before putting it into flower.

:)

King Bud said:
I would give the plant some time to recover from the cuttings before putting it into flower.

ya... forgot to mention that... I'm stoned... what can I say...

Here is a pretty good guide on cloning:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7238

Just replace the "soil" part with moist rockwool cubes that have been soaked in water with a PH of 5.5 and it should work fine.

As to your questions:

1. Read the above link.
2. Yes, but, like King Bud said, let them recover for a week or so.
3. Cut it off right at the stem, then trim it up (see above link).
4. You can if you want, but do not cut off any fan leaves, just trim off the branches you dont want.

Hope that helps, Bro! :)

Latest posts

Back