indoor cultivation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmira

Elmira
Reaction score
Let me know what is the size of the samllest container that i can buy to start indoor marijuana cultivation. What are the critical factors that i will ahve to take care before starting this up? Please let me know

I think the rule of thumb is a gallon for each foot of plant at maturity. A five foot plant would need a 5 gallon container. I've been using containers that are about 2.5 gallons but think the have been restricting my yields. I'm going to try to go with a little larger container and see if it helps.

You can start your seeds in jiffy-pots or styrofoam cups then after a week or two transplant them to a larger container. I like to go from the jiffy-pots straight to the big container that they finish in, so I only have 1 transplant.

elmira said:
What are the critical factors that i will ahve to take care before starting this up? Please let me know

LIGHTS LIGHTS LIGHT ... Thats the most important thing, without the proper lights they just dont grow that big or that fast.

I'm working on getting more lights on mine right now cuz after looking at others plants at the same age and they are bigger then mine and the only big thing differnt is the lights. So keep that in mind when you set yours up.

i use 1 gallon pots but i flower my plants real early to keep them short. but its better to have a pot a little to big rather than a little to small. jmo and like jane said lights are very important. have you figured out what type of light your gonna use?

If one was veging for 2 weeks, would a 3 Gallon pot do for the whole grow?

imo it would. with that little veg time they wouldn't get very big and should be fine.

FruityBud said:
If one was veging for 2 weeks, would a 3 Gallon pot do for the whole grow?

I think you would be fine. I, like Andy have been using 2.5's and had a couple of plants go over 4 foot and they did fine, but I think if I had a little bigger containers for the they might a yielded a bit more.

I have 2 plants that I have been vegging since June and I'm gonna transplant them to 5 gallon buckets this week and put them on 12/12 in a couple weeks. Hoping they turn into monsters, lol. :hubba:

Thanks guys.

Just one more question. What was the final dry weight, when ya used the 2.5 gallon?

Well Elmira let me say welcome first to a great site. To answer your question it really depends on how much you would like to smoke and how many plants your planing on growing. With that in mind you need to look at your space you plan to grow in, the dimensions Length, width, height. Your going to need lots of height to your space if you want big plants which will also require a big lamp at least a 600w HPS lamp or 1000w HPS lamp. HPS lamps are the best lamp for producing High Times quality and quantity buds. You can use flouresents for budding but they dont give you dense buds. Although it can be done flouresents are good for seedlings/clones and small plants in vegetative growth.

If you plan to grow as many plants as you can cram into your space then 1 gallon containers are the way to go. This is called SOG or "Sea Of Green" style growing. Where you have a mother plant kept in vegetative growth at least 18hrs of light or 24hrs of light either will do. You take clones off your mother plant root them and then put them into your vegetative room to veg for a wk to establish some roots then flower them by turning the light back to 12on 12 off.

Now if you want a bigger container up to 5 gallon size. You vegetate for a month or more then flower. Just make sure you have sufficient height in your space. Take into account the lamp hangs down a foot from the ceiling and the height of the container is a foot tall if it 5 gallons so your actual grow space is between that.

Buy some grow books on amazon.com as this will help you out lots. I recommend "Grow Great Marijuana" by Logan Edwards he gives a great common sense approach. Anything by Ed Rosenthal is great but he does get technical.

Good luck and happy growing

Latest posts

Back