Is this acceptable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terky

Reaction score
Hey all. Ive been lurking around here for a while and finally decided to join. Anyway I want to get advise from the pros before I start gathering the things I want for my Scrog setup.

I plan on building my grow box out of sheet metal. It will be 48" tall 36" wide and 22" deep. Making my grow area 5.5 sq ft. I would like the cabinet to only be 36" tall but I dont want to be limited in height later on. I have never done a Scrog so I dont know about them.

Because of space and venting restrictions I only want a small setup using 250w MH and HPS lamps for each stage. 250w should put out around 28,000L which should be able to meet my needs. I do not know how much heat a 250w will put out. I will have a 6" fan bringing in air under the scrog and a 6" fan exhausting heat near the top of the box. The box will be inside a walk in closet that is roughly 6' X 4'. If the closet cant dissipate the heat I can open the door to the bedroom.

I will have my light on a pulley and hand crank to raise or lower the fixture.

I will grow using GH 3 part which I have used in the past. I will use a reservoir with a bubbler in it. I only plan on doing at most a few plants at a time.

I would also like to know what kind of seeds to get. As in Autos or low riders or whatever.

I think i included everything so if this sounds solid let me know! Or if you see anything that you think should be changed I would love to hear it.

Well as a "newbie" myself ( kinda/ sorta) as far as type of seed: What are you after ? COUCH LOCK OR ENERGETIC? as far as size thats easy to manipulate as long as you know what you are after....
Indica's stay realative small as compared to sativas. "auto's" and "lowryders" are designed to fit into small spaces.
Personally, i'm doing both (indy/Sativa) and adjust the plants to fit my room size. The indy's i start flowering at 1 month veg for 5' at finally. Sativas ; I flowr as soon as they root to end up with 4' to5' plants !

Soil or hydro ? would be the next set of questions. If .....you are doing hydro, sea of green or scrog would be best for size and runnin yields.

I have a 1000w HPS but it is way to hot. where i used to live i had that thing hanging 2 foot above the plants with a floor fan blowing air around in an open bedroom and i still had to keep the bedroom door open to keep it at 70 deg or so.

I just cant see putting anything over 400w in that small of a space. When i used the 1000W before it would burn the plants from 2 foot away. I started using 8 4' flouros above the plants and 2 2' floros under the canopy at the bottom of the plants. that worked well but I had to move so the plants didnt fully mature.

terky said:
Hey all. Ive been lurking around here for a while and finally decided to join. Anyway I want to get advise from the pros before I start gathering the things I want for my Scrog setup.

I plan on building my grow box out of sheet metal. It will be 48" tall 36" wide and 22" deep. Making my grow area 5.5 sq ft. I would like the cabinet to only be 36" tall but I dont want to be limited in height later on. I have never done a Scrog so I dont know about them.

Because of space and venting restrictions I only want a small setup using 250w MH and HPS lamps for each stage. 250w should put out around 28,000L which should be able to meet my needs. I do not know how much heat a 250w will put out. I will have a 6" fan bringing in air under the scrog and a 6" fan exhausting heat near the top of the box. The box will be inside a walk in closet that is roughly 6' X 4'. If the closet cant dissipate the heat I can open the door to the bedroom.
The closet is still going to retain the heat of the box, especially sheet metal ahhhh- scrub the box, use your closet as the box just paint your walls white or use panda film on the walls. You still should vent the whole closet regardless if you put another grow box in it, needs fresh air and get rid of hot bad air.

I will have my light on a pulley and hand crank to raise or lower the fixture.
Great

I will grow using GH 3 part which I have used in the past. I will use a reservoir with a bubbler in it. I only plan on doing at most a few plants at a time.
Great, Yes if you are thinking DWC (deep water culture), very easy and fast way of growing...

I would also like to know what kind of seeds to get. As in Autos or low riders or whatever.
I'd say no low riders - autos, too small of yield, but that's just me. You can go straight to 12/12 flower with any strain to keep the height down but still yield more than autos, IMHO. Indicas, or indica/sativa hybrids grow shorter generally (less stretch) with shorter flower times.

I think i included everything so if this sounds solid let me know! Or if you see anything that you think should be changed I would love to hear it.

Hi Terky,
Yes change things... Scrap the sheet metal, retains too much heat. Why not just use your closet as mentioned above, Use CFL's for veg (skip the MH), short veg because of space and a 600 HPS (for flower) for about 3 by 3 ft. or 3 .5 by 3.5 ft. of grow space . You'll grow a nice amount of good bud. Good luck...I've seen scrog grows on youtube you might look at or search this forum, a ton of info is here, but you have to look and do your research. :p

A 250W HPS will be just fine for a 5.5 sq ft space. Consider putting it into a cool tube to help you with heat. If you are doing scrog, you are going to want to make sure that you have girls--that pretty much means using clones or fem seeds. It will be hard to remove any males from a flowering scrog. I agree with The New Girl on the sheet metal. You can make a great box out of plywood.

TheNewGirl said:
Hi Terky,
Yes change things... Scrap the sheet metal, retains too much heat.

Couldn't agree more! If it's standalone and not a closet, use plywood painted flat white. I'm picturing my thermometer reading if my box was made of sheet metal :D. I guess it would be handy for making breakfast.

I would empty the closet and just do it in there but my woman thinks thats where her clothes go. So I have to build some kind of enclosure.

I wish I could use a spare bedroom but I rent and there is no way to make a room lightproof.

Im not looking to grow pounds, just enough for me and my girl.

How many bathrooms do you have :hubba:. I think it's safe to say that one of the continuing problems of this hobby is you always wish you had room for just a few more plants :).

My wife was less-than-completely-cooperative when I started growing. Then a few weeks ago I made some magic brownies. Now she's a complete PITA and claims she's taking over the veg and cloning operation.

ArtVandolay said:
How many bathrooms do you have :hubba:. I think it's safe to say that one of the continuing problems of this hobby is you always wish you had room for just a few more plants :).

My wife was less-than-completely-cooperative when I started growing. Then a few weeks ago I made some magic brownies. Now she's a complete PITA and claims she's taking over the veg and cloning operation.

I had to fight my wife to add nutes you got a keeper man lol

Latest posts

Back