Jury needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzydiodude

Reaction score
I wan't a jury of my peers.
I made a mistake this morning. I stope at the gas station to fill up the tank before the gas prices go up again, when in line paying for the gas a young man(a boy in my book) with a child about 5 or 6 asked for a piece of candy, not a candy bar just a piece of candy. The boy said "No". The child asked again and the boy BACKHANDED the little girl and knocked her to the ground. Before I could think I Backhanded him and actually K.O him. A Sheriff Deputy happen to be pulling in while this was going on. The deputy was at first going to arrest me, til the lady working behind the counter told him what happen. I was told they may wan't to talk to me later. They did call Child protective services to take care of the child. If this take the little girl out of a abusive home, They can lock me up again for what I did, I at least will be able to do the time with pride.
My question would you seen a person to prison for what I did?

in my opinion you did the right and honorable thing at the time. I feel you should not get in trouble but an award for getting involved:)

In today's world, it's too easy to be sent to jail for what used to be something acceptable. Smacking a butthead who beats children or anyone who can't defend themselves USED to be something you could do without anyone getting upset. Now, it can get you thrown in jail.

No, *I* wouldn't do anything to you but congratulate you on a well placed punch to someone who needed it.

However, what I would have done is put my brain in gear first, protect the youngster by asking the employee to call 911 and rely on the cameras that are ALWAYS in stores now. I can guarantee you that the entire thing is on film and will be watched by the cops.

Watch that temper man. Action before thought can usually get you in nothing but trouble.

ozzydiodude said:
I wan't a jury of my peers.

I agree with stoney about the temper, but I still commend you for a gut reaction that was the right thing to do. In today's world, you never know who is going to get back up and pull a gun on you. No jail time from this juror!

No, but KOing the guy was a little over the top. It might be argued that your actions also endangered the child. I'd go with the 911 call and let the cops KO the punk. But I also have to commend you for stepping up and doing the right thing. Too many people "don't want to get involved."

I should say It was A(1) Backhand slap no punch. I would most likely done serious damage with a punch.
Thank you all for making me feel that what I did was right for the child. I could careless about his or my life, but a child has to be protected they are the future.
This was the first time in years that I had hit anyone 15+yrs. I know my strength and how much damage I can do. That is why I am a hermit in a lot of ways. My days of drinking in bars was expencive due to fighting when you are my size(6'7" & 310lb) some people like to try to take out the big guy. It did not happen to often

What you did was assault, so as long as you don't have no priors you should be ok....unless your hands are registered with the county sheriff as legal weapons,then you are doing time:rofl: You most likely have heard the last from the police on this criminal matter. Now the slime ball may try to take you to civil court, if he get a slime ball attorney that like beating kids too. You be prepared b/c they are out there.

To me, violence is never the answer, and I agree with what StoneyBud said.

I also agree with Hippy, many folks just turn a blind eye and that helps no one.

So I am glad you got involved to protect that little girl. But it also could have been done in a different way. Live and learn. And I hope for a few minutes, that little girl felt protected by you. Poor kid. Abuse makes me so sad. :(

The punk got what he deserved you should not abuse children hopefully the cops see it the same way.

Good job.

Not only did that individual teach that child that might makes right and violence is an answer, you yourself have now contributed to abusive damaging behavior.

I hope you feel good about what you did, weather or not he deserved it (which he did).

Just think about that for a second.

I too have been there before Ozzy, was in grocery store and this *man* asked his little boy to hand him the jug of juice from under the shopping cart. Gallon jug of juice in glass container little guy was only 4 or 5 yrs old slips out of his hands and breaks all over the floor. This guy flips out big time on him starts cussing and screaming at him then POW slapped him so hard his head hit the floor before any other part of his body did. Needless to say I went off on him *Big Time* kicked his a$$ right there in line. Cops came and put me in cuffs then everybody started to give cop a hard time saying the the man was the one who needed to be cuffed not me. So after sorting it out they called the little boys mother to come get him and then put the cuffs on him and let me walk. But either way I would have taken what ever they wanted to throw at me, because children and animals are the innocent in this crazy world we live in. And sometimes they need someone to stand up for their rights. If someone is abusing a child or animal around me, then I will be the 1st in line every time to protect them. So I commend you for your reaction to the situation. Because that's what it was a reaction not an action. There is a diffrence...take care..

Id be voting guilty on you. Unless bribed. (I needs a new putter)

But actually, you did the right thing. I doubt the guy really slaps charges on you. Look at all the stuff and witnesses and testimony that would come out and do nothing but hurt him with child services. Best thing that guy could do is learn his lesson, put it behind him, and focus on whats about to happen to him not you. And having it court documented that he slapped a child is 1 thing he doesnt need.

For christs sake people, eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

No wonder warfare will never die, all you folks know how to do is hit.

Sad really.

The Effen Gee said:
For christs sake people, eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

No wonder warfare will never die, all you folks know how to do is hit.

Sad really.

I dont get that. Problem with the world now is people dont want to get involved. 99% of the time people want to turn a blind eye to things. I bet if Ozzy wasnt there. Not a thing would of been done or said. Cause it probably happened before since the guy felt so free to do it in public like that.

So Ozzy might get in some trouble for helping a little girl. I say its worth it.

:yeahthat:
Sometimes, you need to speak in a language that others understand. How can you reason with a person like that?

Maybe this guy will take a minute to look around (at 6'7 Ozzie won't be too hard to miss) before he hits his child next time- and maybe that will be enough time to diffuse the situation.

This juror votes guilty with mitigating circumstances- all records expunged. Release the defendant!

The problem with the world to day is behavioral. Most people are abusive and don't even know it.

Funny how even in a thread, asking for open opinions, with a post beginning with "I made a mistake this morning", I seem to have made some cowardly enemies....

Allow me to share this:

The cycle of violence is multi-generational and perpetuated by denial and minimization. It is important to help individuals to recognize the many ways that peretrators as well as victims often minimize that violence has occurred.

Violence is an acceptable behavior for us and is often reinforced in our society it is unfortunate as well as primitive for anyone to impose or force their will on another person. Violence is not because of provocation of anger. Violence, other than self defense is not justifiable or condoned It is essential for individuals who use tactics of power and control on someone, to be soley accountable for their own actions.

Domestic violence (which this was) effects everyone and often times these effects are not seen or recognized following a violent incident. The effects are insidious, and often cumulative. Victims, and children experience a wide range of effects including but not limited to: Depression, Low Self Esteem, Lack of Trust in Adults, Blaming Themselves for the Violence, Regressive Behavior (thumb sucking), School Difficulties, Difficulties with relationships with others, Drug or Alcohol use, suicidal ideation or attempts, A BELIEF That Violence is Normal, Feelings of Helplessness, Hyper-Vigilance (that's me!) and PTSD.

Don't hit your kids, don't hit in front of kid's, Do not condone violence, approve or teach you son how to fight. Trust me, you are only prolonging the problem, which is 100% behavioral and a learned behavior at that.

...and we all know that anything that is learned can be un-learned.

The sheriff and 3 ladies(2 CPS, 1 PA offices) just left The Child Protective services were in the process of taking the little girl and her brother away from their parrents. They wan't me as a witness to the child abuse I witnessed. That will no problem. They have everything on video tape and according to the PA and sheriff no charges will be filed. I know I could have handle the situation better, but it was a reflex action.

I know it's hard to not knock some fools out cold, and it seems like good way to "teach" but in reality it's not.

I am glad to hear that the children will be taken out of that environment and that your not getting into trouble.

I wonder if that video clip will end up on the internet....

Latest posts

Back