Just Curious?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viracocha711

Reaction score
I have a small Ebb&Flow hydro unit that I am using for practice...It is set up next to a south facing window and I have a 125 watt CFL for additional light, although it gets direct sunlight for a few hours a day. I have a 10 gallon res with only 7 gallons of nute solution for this all I need right now.

My question is...Is it normal for the pH to drift up everyday? I only have a cheap pH testing method for now similar to how one would test the pH in a pool, few drops of testing solution in vial sample of nute solution and then it changes color and reflects a general pH.

...Well, I am noticing that I am having to adjust the pH down everyday to keep it in the general range of 5.5 to 6.5, is this normal? :confused:

If it matters, I am only growing common (legal) herbs in this unit to practice, Basil, Cilantro, Sage, Chives...They all seem to love the hydro system they are growing way to fast but this is what I want,right? LOL!

It may be your water. What water are you using? Is your water "hard"?

Water from the faucet...I am not sure, is there a simple test to find out? I do know the water out of the faucet is above 7-7.5 and I do have to adjust it...But even after I have adjusted my water and the res in full, the pH will slowing rise and I will have to adjust it again even though I have added nothing to it, no nutes or water...Does this make sense?

Stoney? Another question...With your set-up, what is your flood cycle? For example, 15 minutes every 2 hours?

Viracocha711 said:
Stoney? Another question...With your set-up, what is your flood cycle? For example, 15 minutes every 2 hours?

I've tried them all and found problems with most. I use a cycle of one hour on, two off, 24/7.

I've used this one for many years with great results and absolutely no problems.

Good luck man!

Viracocha711 said:
Water from the faucet...I am not sure, is there a simple test to find out? I do know the water out of the faucet is above 7-7.5 and I do have to adjust it...But even after I have adjusted my water and the res in full, the pH will slowing rise and I will have to adjust it again even though I have added nothing to it, no nutes or water...Does this make sense?

Yes, it does. Does light hit the reservoir in a way that the water can "see" it? If so, you may have an algae problem. That will cause a ph shift.

Try adding properly mixed nutrients to your reservoir once and then test it. See if the added nutes bring it back to where it should be.

Is your tap water chlorinated? If so, that's a major problem. You might consider using RO water. 25 cents a gallon is no big deal.

Viracocha711 said:
But even after I have adjusted my water and the res in full, the pH will slowing rise and I will have to adjust it again even though I have added nothing to it, no nutes or water...Does this make sense?

This happens when you use vinegar or lemon juice to adjust PH in a Hydro system.

Does the nutrient solution get cloudy or slimey after a couple of days?

What are you using to adjust your PH?

Alien,
I use General Hydroponics pH up & down...No, my nute solution is actually very clear, although I have noticed the plastic hose coming from my pump is slippery when touched.

...I just recently started keeping bottles of frozen water in my res to keep the water below 70F...

Stoney,
Yes, however, it is through the res wall, I noticed that the other day, my res gets hit with direct sunlight for about an hour ot two in the AM and for about an hour in the PM...I took some spray adhesive and some 4 mil black plastic and lined the outside so this is no longer a problem...However, I just did this yesterday so I will see if this helps...?

...Chlorinated water, I do believe my water is. I get my water from the county so I am almost sure it contains chlorine...You said .25 a gallon for RO water? Do they sell RO in grocery stores or should I look into investing in a RO system?

As I said before I need to buy a pH/EC/TDS/PPM meter to be able to have a more precise reading of pH but for now I am using drops and a vial. Take a sample of res water drop a few drops of testing sol in and shake, then match color with chart on bottle...The pH of the water straight out of the faucet is somewhere between 7-8, it does not change much after adding nutes. However, I have to say I am using a very diluted nute solution, 1/4 tsp for every 2 gals of water...General Hydroponics 3 part with a 1/4/tspMicro-1/4 tspGro-1/4tspBloom for every 2 gals, make sense? I was thinking of raising the stregnth a bit but I am waiting for my plants to get a little bigger...10 Basil; 7 Cilantro; and Chive plants that I stated from seeds...I have tomatoes growing out back in soil so I figured a small hydro herb garden in the kitchen would be great idea to get some hydro experience before the "Great Ganja Grow" :)

Thank you both for your help! Look forward to what you have to say...

Viracocha711 said:
Stoney,
Yes, however, it is through the res wall, I noticed that the other day, my res gets hit with direct sunlight for about an hour ot two in the AM and for about an hour in the PM...I took some spray adhesive and some 4 mil black plastic and lined the outside so this is no longer a problem...However, I just did this yesterday so I will see if this helps...?

...Chlorinated water, I do believe my water is. I get my water from the county so I am almost sure it contains chlorine...You said .25 a gallon for RO water? Do they sell RO in grocery stores or should I look into investing in a RO system?
Yes, the light may have been causing a ph fluctuation. The chlorinated water for sure is.

Water machines are everywhere. Walmart and most grocery stores have them either inside or out. I bought my bottles from target. 5 gals. Then you just refill them.

The chlorine is probably your problem. Also, if the sun is hitting it directly, it may be heating it as well.

Good luck man.

Thanks as always SB...I will do exactly that, look into getting an RO system but in the mean time get me some bottled stuff...I wonder, it does not take much work to install a RO system does it?

BTW-I posted this info in the news section but I figured I would mention it here, if you have the channel HD Net, DAN RATHER REPORTS is going to do a special on Medical Marijuana if your interested, I am, can't wait to see how it portrays the subject. Anyway, more info in post in news section.

Latest posts

Back