Just Say No to Responsible Ohio initiative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the bad part is all these same ppl that have gotten burned cause they didn't know, like the gambling, or the ones that always claim the media doesn't tell the whole story or picks and chooses, are the ones that even still don't read. they listen.

we have a few grow shops around here but they are very small and the ppl running them eather lie to sell stuff or really have limited knowledge on growing, and there is no were to really LOOK at something you want to buy. like a tent or trimmer or ice hash thingy. whatever. I always thought of opening a place with several tents up and running legal planrts and having little brocher or info pages that ppl can get for free to deal with basic stuff like lites or whiteflys or getting started soil types hydro info and styls, growing styles. etc.

Weed-Mart sounds awesome. That's what I thought Amsterdam was like when I was a young stoner, lol.
Hackerman, I like your idea. It's a lot like a brew your own beer shop.
i also share the same concern Hippy does with the plant limits. It's like if you grow then they got ya.
i just feel like this bill is going to go realllllly bad somewhere.
:confused2:

The one question I would be asking myself if I were you is...... what happens if you get caught growing 5 plants? The limit under RO will be 4 flowering plants. If you have 5 or 6 or 10, what happens to you? Does prosecution default to federal laws? Previous state laws? Will they determine new "penalties" for people who break the rules? The possession limit is 4 ounces (I think that's what it said). What if you have 8 ounces?

If they are talking small fines for violations, who cares. Relate it to the speed limit. Yes, it's against the law to exceed it. Yes, most cops will look the other way for the first 5 to 7 MPH over the limit. And, yes, if you go fast enough you'll get a ticket.

All those things sure don't stop you from speeding. LOL

So, I would be looking at the boundaries outside the box and see what I can expect for stepping outside those boundaries.

Hacker,

According to a Criminal Defense Attorney ,

The ResponsibleOhio amendment omits many legalities with regards to Ohioans caught outside their limitations and restrictions. Therefore, BY DEFAULT Ohioans are subject to current Ohio Laws. That means felonies, jailtime, etc for sales and cultivation.

If you were stuck in this debacle and were looking for loopholes, what do you see?

see that's a crock!

"4" plants...
1 mother, 1 cutting in a clone bucket, 1 vegging plant and 1 in flower = 4 plants but not much of a "grow"

1 plant at a time is about the only way you can not go over 4oz dried bud.

current laws are http://norml.org/laws/item/ohio-penalties-2
possession: < 200g = misdemeanor

..........................Offense Penalty.. Incarceration..Max. Fine
Less than 100 g.. misdemeanor... N/A ................$ 150
100 - 200 g .........misdemeanor ....30 days ..........$ 250
200 - 1000 g ............felony .......6 mos - 1 year... $ 2,500
1000 - 5000 g ..........felony ..........1 - 5 years ....$ 10,000
5000 - 20,000 g ........felony ........1 - 5 years ....$ 10,000
20,000 - 40,000 g.... felony......... 5* - 8 years... $ 15,000
More than 40,000 g ..felony ...........8 years*...... $ 15,000
* Mandatory minimum sentence

cultivation: plants are converted to "USABLE" weight (dried product not wet/live stem/plant etc) and added to any dry/jarred bud you have.
** Ohio provides an affirmative defense for this level of cultivation if the defendant can meet the burden to prove that the marijuana was intended solely for personal use by a preponderance of the evidence. If this defense is successful, the defendant can still be convicted of, or plead guilty to, a misdemeanor violation of illegal cultivation of marihuana.

Penalties for the cultivation of marijuana are identical to the penalties for possessing an equivalent amount, in weight, of marijuana. See the chart above for further guidance.

"Marihuana does not include the mature stalks of the plant, fiber produced from the stalks, oils or cake made from the seeds of the plant, or any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the mature stalks, except the resin extracted from the mature stalks, fiber, oil or cake, or the sterilized seed of the plant that is incapable of germination."

I think the petition read 4 "Flowering" plants. It doesn't say how many plants in veg or clone stage.

From the RO web site....

Yes, ResponsibleOhio&#8217;s plan allows Ohioans over 21 to home grow.

You are allowed up to 4 flowering plants per household (there is no set limit on how many non-flowering plants you can have) and 8 ounces of useable product at a time.

The grow area must be in an enclosed locked space inaccessible to those under 21.

You must get a license, which will cost $50.

Sounds like the cloning business is wide open in Ohio. LMAO All these new growers are going to need something to grow.

OH boy.. so I went to Resposnible Ohioans website and got them confused with RO...
I was all happy and like man, they really straightened this thing out..then I posted my comments and looked at the link I provided and realized I'm a *******. :(
I felt hope for a minute there.
RO is going to win. They've got the news here doing spots on their proposal and the youngins are going to run out and vote it in. i guess they'll get my $50 .
The people I've been providing medicine for will have to buy their stuff somewhere else or let me in to maintain their gardens. Which can pose a threat to their financial situations. I dont make any cash with my herb but I do grow for free pretty much. This situation which is suppose to be exciting and providing freedoms is causing me more worry than the current climate.
I had strong hopes the cannabis industry could revitalize the economic situation in Ohio. To help our farmers repair fallow fields. Blah blah blah...
someone start the funeral dirge.

also, I want to offer an apology to anyone my tone or language may have offended in previous posts in this thread. It's obviously a tense and passionate subject. This forum ios the best on the net because of the folks involved in it. I sincerely appreciate all of you and your knowledge.
Peace, hope and green mojo to you all!

Last edited:
LOL, it really is so confusing.

I believe you can sign all the petitions. You're not restricted to choosing just one. There are 3 petitions for legal pot in Ohio.

And, as far as stopping or changing what you are doing........ this law (or any other) does not really affect you. You're doing it illegally now. You just continue to do it illegally. LOL Besides, The RO petition says you can give away as much as you want. So, actually, if you can grow enough with 4 flowering plants (about a pound or more every 2 months or so) you can still be within the law. A pound every 2 or 3 months is quite a bit, really.

I think you're right as far as RO winning. It's all about the money. And, they are the ones that have it. Like you said, my buddy says they are all over the news.

Hey, at least it's a step in the right direction. I wish all this legalization stuff was going on when I was 20 instead of 60. LMAO

Hacker,

Sadly ResponsibleOhio changes Ohio's current classification of Marijuana from "dried flowers" to everything including the roots. Under RO, people can not profit from any form of marijuana, unless it comes from the Oligopoly.

Therefore any for profit cloning business is right where they want it, in their hands.

I hope they get mutant spidermites on steroids

OH boy.. so I went to Resposnible Ohioans website and got them confused with RO...
I was all happy and like man, they really straightened this thing out..then I posted my comments and looked at the link I provided and realized I'm a *******. :(
I felt hope for a minute there.
RO is going to win. They've got the news here doing spots on their proposal and the youngins are going to run out and vote it in. i guess they'll get my $50 .
The people I've been providing medicine for will have to buy their stuff somewhere else or let me in to maintain their gardens. Which can pose a threat to their financial situations. I dont make any cash with my herb but I do grow for free pretty much. This situation which is suppose to be exciting and providing freedoms is causing me more worry than the current climate.
I had strong hopes the cannabis industry could revitalize the economic situation in Ohio. To help our farmers repair fallow fields. Blah blah blah...
someone start the funeral dirge.

also, I want to offer an apology to anyone my tone or language may have offended in previous posts in this thread. It's obviously a tense and passionate subject. This forum ios the best on the net because of the folks involved in it. I sincerely appreciate all of you and your knowledge.
Peace, hope and green mojo to you all!

Do your best to educate your friends and family about their options and what they are giving up with a vote to RO.

Grassroots activism is worth more than money!

Hacker,

Under RO, people can not profit from any form of marijuana, unless it comes from the Oligopoly.

That is absolutely untrue. It's not right to spread untruths. It just confuses people more. If you don't know the truth or the real facts, you just confuse the issue more by posting untruth.

All 1100 retail stores will be independently owned. As will the edible makers. At about 4 to 6 people per store, that's about 5000 to 8000 regular, normal, non-monopoly Ohio residents that will be employed and making money off the RO initiative.

And, I still don't see where people see this as a monopoly. The growers are 10 independent companies that will be competing with each other for the Ohio business. How is this different from having 10 car companies? Or, 10 computer companies? Just because the guidelines are being set by a fixed committee, doesn't make it a monopoly.

I have found that most of the opposers to the RO thing are only concerned about who is making the money. LOL Quite frankly, as long as the stores are packed with good pot and the price is right..... who cares where the money goes after it leaves my pocket. But then, I shop at WalMart. LMAO

Now that the RO has added home grow, I don't see a real problem with it.

Other than who makes the money, does anyone really have a valid opposition to the RO thing?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not supporting or advocating the initiative in any way because, it doesn't affect me (other than Ohio being my home state). But I just thought I'd play the devil's advocate and see if there is any non-money related opposition to RO.

Hack,

Under RO no one can legally make a profit from any marijuana that doesnt come from the oligopoly. Thats a FACT. Wether your selling bags at a despensary, or making cookies in your cookie factory; all the THC must come from the Oligopoly.

Also, the way RO has reclassified marijuana as roots, stocks, leaves, & flowers, You can't even sell a clone that doesn't come from one of their mega sites. The amendment's language protects their cartel in almost everyway.

What so confusing about that?

Also, to put into perspective the theory that 1500 dispensaries will be successfull in ohio seems very optimistic considering 1500 is almost twice as many Wendys (880) and over 5 times as many Starbucks (230) in Ohio.

ResponsibleOH is an Oligopoly with its exclusive membership reserved to only the highest bidder. IF this is your idea of how America should be– you are part of the problem. That's right, YOU are a part of the problem if you think industry should be reserved for only mega-corporations.

Last I checked anyone can open a bar, credit union, craft brewery, nursery, hamburger chain, car company etc. by following regulations and other necessities. But ResponsibleOhio isn't going to let that happen with Marijuana because apparently is ******* plutonium. GMAFB

What is so hard to see about ResponsibleOhio being a crony capitalist oligopoly?

Im getting a head ache from reading. Anybody no shorthand? Lol

Last I checked anyone can open a bar, credit union, craft brewery, nursery, hamburger chain, car company etc. by following regulations and other necessities. But ResponsibleOhio isn't going to let that happen with Marijuana because apparently is ******* plutonium. GMAFB

If you open a bar in Ohio, you HAVE to buy your liquor from a state regulated liquor store that is a total monopoly.

Brewery and Nursery... gonna need licenses from the gov to even open the doors. Inspections, regulations. Lots of cash paid to the biggest monopoly.

Hamburger chain? If it's McDonalds I guarantee where where you'll be buying ALL your supplies and needs. Same with Wendy's. Same with any chain. Doesn't make Micky D a monopoly.

Car lot??? Year right. What are you going to sell if not cars from one of the big 3 or 4? Ohio retail cannabis stores will have a choice of 10 growers to buy from. All 10 competing against each other just like Ford, GM and Toyota.

You're right about one thing.... cannabis is money. And, business is going to treat it just like it treats everything else that's money. I believe they call it capitalism. And, last I checked the USA is a capitalist country.

And, there are rules in business. Both written and unwritten. And, the path that cannabis takes in business will follow those rules.

Whether you like or I like it doesn't really matter. It's how business works in this country. Very clear to me. Obviously, a little confusing to you.

RO is going to win. Period. Nothing else even has a remote chance. So, how do they say... if you can't beat them, join them. LOL

Besides..... and, I ask this again and again and no opposer has ever given me a reasonable answer...... What do you care where the money goes? As long as the store is stocked. The quality is good and the price is right, does it really make you that angry that someone is making money from it?

If so, that's an issue that needs professional diagnosis and treatment. LOL I never met a rich person that hated other people for making money. It's always the people who can't do it. Or, who continually fail at it that hate to see someone else get rich. I never understood that.

Oh well. Love you bud. I wish I could see it all go the way you want it to go. Sorry.

hack ....state regulated is way different then state owned for liquor.

RO is a monopoly from beginning to end. RO is squashing any competition before it is even legal. That is a monopoly as far as I care.

The consumers should be able to make a choice of where they buy it and who grows it.

Even liquor/bars do not sell just one brand produced from one company.

There will be 10 (or more as demand requires) distributors to buy from, even better that it is for liquor. You want Bud, you buy from one distributor. You want Pabst you buy from another distributor.

If you want bud, you have ONE distributor to buy from. If you don't buy from him, you can't carry or sell Budweiser. Period.

You have a choice of many beers. But, Bud is ONLY from one guy.

At least with pot, if the retail store wants White Widow, they will have 10 different distributors to choose from.

Same with edibles. You want Snyder potato chips you have ONLY ONE choice of who to buy them from. Period. You don't buy from them, you don't carry Snyder's chips. End of story.

The retail pot stores will have a choice of many many places to buy their brownies. Not just one distributor.

Ohio is an industrial state. It always has been. The people and the gov in Ohio handle different things in very similar ways. Very blue collar. Very "middle class" state. That's why all the regulation. They love to control the people.

With pot growers, there will be 10 (or more) distributors to buy from. All these distributors are completely independent, doing business under the very strict rules of the State of Ohio just like the beer, food and sundries manufacturer's and distributors.

These 10 independent growers have nothing in common as far as their business model. Just like Bud, Pabst and Miller. They are all competing for the same market. How can it be a monopoly when you have 10 independent growers competing in the same market? LMAO

The only thing that ties all this together is the regulations governing them all. Just like liquor. Just like food. Just like gasoline. Just like tobacco. Just like every commodity in this state.

Monopoly?? Sorry, I definitely remember graduating from business school and this situation, in no way, qualifies as a monopoly.

The business model for all the companies is simply governed by common regulation. Just like beer, food and just about everything else.

Whatever, guys. Believe what you want. See it however you like. It still won't make any difference in the outcome. Maybe you should call the US Justice Department and report this as a monopoly. See what they say to you. LOL

And..... once again I will ask. Do you have any problems with the petition other than who is making the money?

I don't want Snyder's but they are forcing me to buy Snyder's. That is what RO is doing and at the price they want.

Nobody is making any money besides RO and you think that is right?

So you are willing to pay any price they tell you to pay?

Latest posts

Back