Just set up flowering stage.. Letme know what you think

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WM420

Reaction score
Hey everyone!. So I just purchased a 400w hps light and hung it in my grow space tonight.. As you can see from the pics, its a little crowded in there but i hope all the plants will get the light they need..And for ventilation I have that one fan towards the top sucking out the hot air, and one at ground level, blowing cooler air in.. Im hoping that will suffice bcause its about all i can do:confused:
And roughly how much taller do you think the plants will grow to during flower?? in the pic (w/ the light hung) the ceiling is level w/ the top of the camera.. Do you think they will outgrow the space?? Bcause I'm sure hoping not
Thanks for your feedback.. I owe all the success of my grow so far to this site and all you guys soo Thanks!

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

WM420 said:
Hey everyone!. So I just purchased a 400w hps light and hung it in my grow space tonight.. As you can see from the pics, its a little crowded in there but i hope all the plants will get the light they need..And for ventilation I have that one fan towards the top sucking out the hot air, and one at ground level, blowing cooler air in.. Im hoping that will suffice bcause its about all i can do:confused:
And roughly how much taller do you think the plants will grow to during flower?? in the pic (w/ the light hung) the ceiling is level w/ the top of the camera.. Do you think they will outgrow the space?? Bcause I'm sure hoping not
Thanks for your feedback.. I owe all the success of my grow so far to this site and all you guys soo Thanks!

to help on the plants getting to tall i would put the light a bit closer so they dont stretch for the light, but then u might have some heat issues. in the better situation you need a air cooled fan for the light sumthin like this

Untitled.jpg

It might get a little bushy in there..

I would make sure that you can get a good airflow (extra fans, etc..)through the canopy that will surely develop...

I would also make sure that the lower branches are trimmed to maintain good airflow under the canopy....

looks like it's gonna be nice though:)

i agree with asy - you need to get the light down closer to the plants or they will begin to stretch. You can probably come down about 8-12" Use you hand at the canopy level - if if feels too hot raise it a bit. You might consider bending the plants to keep them from getting too tall. Looks like you have enough room for a decent flowering period without too much trouble, but if you leave the light high it might become an issue.

Thanks you guys for the posts.. and yeah asy i wish i could have set it up like that with the intake and exhaust hooked up through the light.. You live and you learn i guess.. And yeah i figured i would let the plants acclimate to the hps for a day or so then lower it to as low as possible..
and could you guys fill me in on how this bending method you all speak of works???

Nice looking garden my friend...Hows the Heat? That Batwing can get maybe 14 inches away from your canopy...lower the light down and place your hand over the plants..if the heat is to much for the back of your hand its too hott for you ladies..then raise it up...My concern here is propper air movement...Next grow be sure to plan ahead..as you will learn lots from this grow...If ya can get a 24 inch box fan up at top on full..and that round one at bottom..and an asculateing fan over over the canopy on med...will Help..also...is this in a closet? how do we keep in DARK...DARK ? as for bending them over..what we like is an even canopy..so the 2 in the back use something to bend them over without breaking...its called "LST" I seen where someone used clothes pins clipped at top as a wieght and then hot glued coins as more wieght...ingenious..lol..okay good luck..Take care and be safe

WM420 said:
Thanks you guys for the posts.. and yeah asy i wish i could have set it up like that with the intake and exhaust hooked up through the light.. You live and you learn i guess.. And yeah i figured i would let the plants acclimate to the hps for a day or so then lower it to as low as possible..
and could you guys fill me in on how this bending method you all speak of works???

Hi,

You look like you have a nice grow going! Like cmd (SuperBaby) sez... It's going to get crowded and you should remove the lower branches and bud sites on the lower 1/3 to 1/2 of your plant that won't get any light.... This will force the budding to take place closer to the light. If you don't do this you'll get a lot of wispy underdeveloped bud on the bottom half of your plant and clearing out the growth will improve the airflow around your plants and soil which helps keep a healthier environment for your plants.

Bending is a form of LST... Low Stress Training... you can find lots of info on it here if you search LST... There's a guide available... Basically, you bend the tallest mainstems over a little each day and tie them down somehow... many drill a hole in their pot to anchor the string/twine... Just bend a little at a time and over a week or two you can reduce the height quite a bit which will enable you to bring your light closer to your plants. If you use techniques like pruning and LST you'll have much more fully developed (Dank! ;) ) bud in your garden... Rather than only a bit of fully developed bud on plants that are the tallest and closest to the light...

Happy Growing!:cool:

Thanks for tips!! i think they r really going to help me out.. I just finished pruning them and you were right there is a good amount of better airflow through them now.. And i think im for sure going to have to do a little LST with that tall girl in the back right,her tops r just too tall, and if plants double in size during flower which is what ive read can happen then she needs it..
But yes that is in a closet, and i put up a black vinyl tarp in place of that shower curtain to take care of the "darkness" part of flower, so i hope it all works out.. will keep you all posted for sure :hubba:

Your plants are going to double or triple in size before they are through flowering. You are almost certainly going to run out of room as they are crowded now.

Your flowering space has to be absolutely completely 100% dark with no light leaks whatsoever during the dark time. I don't think that a black tarp in place of the shower curtain is going to do it. You are almost certainly going to need more ventilation also. That little fan you have up there is probably doing almost nothing.

I was looking at that curtain to....if thats all you have, stay completely out of the room in your dark cycle, and make sure "0" light gets in from any windows, cracks in the door jam, under the door etc. It's really hard to control your environment in an "open" set-up like this.

Yeah i for sure had to take out that little black fan and i put a much bigger one up there as well as a second fan raised to canopy level.. together they have been keeping it at a fine temp.. Yeah and i wish i could set up something more legit to block the lights but thats really all i have to work with so yes we just have to stay out of the room during thier sleeping time..
But im stoked all three of the random seed strains including the very odd, wallywool ducksfoot cross strain, have shown female pre-flowers and that tall girl in the back right w/ the two tops (which is indica, am i right?? the taller, less bushy plants?) has white hars showing at 3 days flower

if i were you i'd point the you put at canopy level up to about 45 degrees.... by doing that, in combination with your other 2 fans, it'll help push the heat from the light out quicker and let you run it lower....

WM420 said:
Yeah i for sure had to take out that little black fan and i put a much bigger one up there as well as a second fan raised to canopy level.. together they have been keeping it at a fine temp.. Yeah and i wish i could set up something more legit to block the lights but thats really all i have to work with so yes we just have to stay out of the room during thier sleeping time..
But im stoked all three of the random seed strains including the very odd, wallywool ducksfoot cross strain, have shown female pre-flowers and that tall girl in the back right w/ the two tops (which is indica, am i right?? the taller, less bushy plants?) has white hars showing at 3 days flower

Really, really, really try to make sure there are no light leaks...just "tryin to stay out of the room" (for at least 6 weeks??!!!)will not work...that's pretty much a guarantee....

Someone is going to "have" to go in and get something...there will be forgetfullness...whatever...

you have one, maybe two screw ups with the light, and then you start to affect the plant and the yield

For me, it would not be realistic and what's more important:messing up with the light even a few times when they are in 12/12 will negatively and noticeably affect your crop

...you can have every other factor dialed in to a "T", but screw up on the light and your screwed...

I only say this cuz I know that, for me, 6 weeks of worrying about this would be sooo lame

On the other thing I highlighted...Other way around brotha...sativas are taller and a little more leggy lookin'....the indicas are the shorter bushy babies

I just read thru these responses...a lot of important issues that you absulutely have to address....

don't get discouraged, just get it done and you will have waaay less stress and headaches....

AND I can't stress enough what a solid call it was to post your pics....
:)

LOL. So your not gonna shower for 2-3 months?
:rofl:

j/k

You better start bending them ladies over now...I drill holes all the way around the pots every 2 inches or so and then use pipe cleaners to tie them down. It looks like you hve 3 major issues you need to deal with...height, getting a true dark period set up, and ventilation...the dark period is the real biggie...no true dark period no buds...or hermies....

Those also look like they have a fair amount of sativa in them. You need them in 12/12 as soon as you can deal with the light and ventilation issues. Unless you box that shower in somehow to keep all the light out, I see hermies in your future. IMO, there is no way that you can keep out of a room like that for 8-12 weeks. It looks to me like there is enough Sativa in those plants that you are looking at an 8 week flowering period, at the very least.

It would not be too expensive to buy a 1/4 inch sheet of plywood screw it over the doorway, cut a smaller door into the plywood, hinge in place (of course you'd need a few 2x4's for a little framing of door and door jam), cut yourself a hole at the top to put in a bathroom exhaust fan $13 at lowes, to exhaust hot stale air out, and one at the bottom to bring fresh air in...you could do all this for $50-75...the price of a 1/2 oz...think about it man...it will save you alot of trouble! And stealthy as hell. 8 screws holding the whole thing up, could be cleaned up in a couple minutes with a drill or cordless screw gun. Good Luck

thank you all for posting your opinions and advice. I really appreciate it.. But it seems as though i do have a few big issues to deal with. And thank you for bringing this "no light" issue to my attention, b/c to be completely honest i had no idea it could effect the plants so much..
And yeah i know that realistically im not going to be able to stay out of my closet for 6-8 weeks.. Leagalize Freedom, i really like your idea of a set up, i think thats going to be what i have to do to ensure tha no light gets in, and, at the same time, fresh crisp air exchanges with the stale warm air.
For now what i have been doing is, during the light hours of coarse, keeping the closet door halfway open. There is two windows directly accross from the closet and i keep the windows open with a fan in front of them, blowing in cool air from outside into the closet.
Also, today i bent the two tallest tops over. I crossed them in somewhat of an 'x' shape b/c i felt that was the best design in my crowded grow space. instead of drilling holes and tying them over i just opted for mankinds best invention, ductaping the thread down. heres a pic or two also

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

they look healthy.... get those kinks worked out and keep it up!

MindzEye said:
Dont take any of this as we are bashing on you, it seems you havnt but I know it can over whelming with all the replies.. We are just helping you have a successful crop.. :)

:yeahthat:

nicely said, and very true!

Latest posts

Back