Lady bugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernHoney

1st timer
Reaction score
Hello everyone, we have had an infestation of lady bugs in this area, they are everywhere. I have just spotted 2 hanging out around my babies and because I am gentle soul would rather not kill them BUT I will if they are going to eat them. I know they eat aphids and are generally good for plants and have not noticed any damage so far.
Also since I have your attention 2 of the 10 Orange Blossoms are very small as well as the 2 ww's. The other 8 are getting quite big, am I perhaps seeing my females? I also still have them on 24 hour light to try to let the little ones catch up. Am I making a mistake?
Thank you as always, I am reading as much as I can on the subject but every once in a while I need the opinion of the pros. Have a great day!

Yo Ho NorthernHoney,

Be certain that those ladybugs are the real thing. The real ladybug is a gift to your babies as a ladybug will kill, and eat many pests that can cause you grief, but the japanese beetle will start munching on your ladies and enough of them can be very bad for your girls.
This is a ladybug, and on the right are some japanese beetles.
ladybug.jpeg
japanese beetles.jpeg
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:cool:

ladybug.jpeg

japanese beetles.jpeg

we could help you out better with some pics Honey. would love to see those obs'...

i have been seeing the lady bugs over past 2 weeks in my garden also. i actually bring them in when i find them in abundance around my back door...

keep 'em green...Irish...

As long as they're Ladybugs you're ok. But if they're those Japanese Beetles, you're in trouble. Those Japanese Beetles will shred your crops like a chainsaw! If they haven't started eating your plants yet, then I would think they're Ladybugs.

As for the size of your plants, it's probably just different pheno's causing the size difference. A number of things can cause size differences in your plants, but they aren't of any concern unless your plants look terrible. As long as they are healthy looking, then just let them be.

Well I checked them out this morning and there no sign of damage, and there was one in the pot walking around so I guess they can live until they make me mad and then it is squish time. I have to figure out the picture thing I have a digital camera but haven't figured out how to download pics yet. One of these days when I have some time I will. Been working alot and these days ya gotta say "Yippee" to that. But I really want to show you my babies they grow up so fast. I am really enjoying the whole process.
Have a great day everyone.

I dont believe the asian lady bugs are called Japanese beetles.

Here is a picture of a Japanese beetle.
Looks nothing like a lady bug. but the asian beetles do except there a orange color.

Jbadult.jpg

Lady bugs don't bite. The orange hoards DO!

Latest posts

Back