Larger leaves spots, brown tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daaabud

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been running into a small problem that doesn't seem too bad right now. Some of the larger leaves, and a couple of the smaller ones, start to get little brown spots on the leaves, then begin to form brown tips that curl up. Eventually they turn all yellow and die. I was thinking this was a Ca or Mg deficiency so I got some Cal-mag plus and fed it that yesterday. A little background:

1. How tall are your plants now? She's about 2' tall right now

2. How far from the lights are the tops of your plants? Is this a constant distance or have you changed it recently? About 18" from the top, been that way for a while.

3. How old are they? Been growing from a re-veg from a friend, so at least 6 months old (I've had it for 2 months, where most of the growth has happened)

4. What strain are they? White Widow

5. Did you start them from seed or clone? Clone, I think.

6. What type of containers are you using and what size are they in gallons? 10" x 10" - 3 or 4 gallon container

WHAT TYPE OF GROW DO YOU HAVE?

7. Dirt? Soil mix

8. What mixture of dirt or type of dirt did you use? Bought it from a hydroponics store, I know its good stuff

9. Is it a type that has added nutrients like "Miracle Grow"? Ditto

10. What mixture of perlite, vermiculite and other additives have you used if any? Ditto, again

11. Hydroponic? Nein

WHAT TYPE OF LIGHTS DO YOU USE?

18. Fluorescent Nope

19. Halide Nope

20. HPS Ding ding ding!

21. Wattage? 400watter

22. Ballast, is it digital or analog? Digi

SOIL FERTS?

27. What brand? What strength? What mix? Technaflora Pura Vida at a little less than recommended dosage, every third watering. Just bought some Cal Mag Plus, since I think it is a Calcium or Mg deficiency

28. How often, and when was the last time? Every third, last time was done about a week ago

ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS OF THE GROW AREA

29. Do you use ventilation for your indoor grow? yes

30. If so, what do you use? 6" inline

33. Temperature of the grow area? Stays between 70 - 80F

34. Humidity of the grow area? 50%RH

Here are some pics.

100_0673.JPG

100_0674.JPG

100_0664.JPG

100_0666.JPG

100_0684.JPG

Mirracle grow??? maybe why

and i dont see the PH of your run off in all that dito.neil..nadda:rofl:

Ah sorry, when I said "ditto", I was referring to the same answer as the previous question. The soil I'm using is an organic mix bought from the hydroponics store. Has perlite in it. Haven't been using MG as nutrient, only organic nutrients.

looks like a few things maybe coupled up brought on by ph bein off.
i had this prob my first grow and leaves looked identical on most when it happened. but then i got a real ph tester. "DO NOT RELY SOLELY " on them add drops to match the collor testers . or them probe ones that ya shove into the soil to test the ph moisture etc. they are junk and inaccurate imo.

The soil I'm using is an organic mix bought from the hydroponics store. Has perlite in it. Haven't been using MG as nutrient, only organic nutrients.
wat brand organic soil tho? MG ha an organic soil that isnt really good either.

zipflip said:
wat brand organic soil tho? MG ha an organic soil that isnt really good either.
The soil I'm using is Roots Organics by Aurora Innovations.

As far as pH goes, from reading the POS 2-probe thing I got that reads light intensity, moisture and pH reader it was reading in the 7.x range. I was going to go and get some liquid pH tester (maybe the General Hydroponics pH tester that includes the pH up and down bottles). Last time I watered was a few days ago. The soil isn't quite dry right now but is it ok to flush the pot so I can check the pH? I think I'll just do it.

Granted it is a pH problem, would the best course of action be to flush the system thoroughly, then give it some nutrients that is pH'ed down to the 6.5 area?

Thanks!

Does this happen after feedings? the next day? Just wondering.....full strength once a week can do that.....to some plants...I had a finicky Mango last year that took less nutes by half than the rest of the garden.

tcbud said:
Does this happen after feedings? the next day? Just wondering.....full strength once a week can do that.....to some plants...I had a finicky Mango last year that took less nutes by half than the rest of the garden.

I haven't been feeding it nutrients once a week. More like once every 1.5 - 2 weeks. This problem has been having pretty gradually, I think. I didn't really take too much notice of it since it was only happening to a few of the leaves and 90% of the plant looks great. :D I'll flush the plant, check the pH and go from there.

Alright, I used a soil pH test kit (the kind where you put some of the soil from ~3" in the pot into the test container, add some powder from provided capsules, add water and shake) and came out with a pH of 7, maybe a little lower. pH 7 is indicated as a light green while 6.5 is a darker yellow, test showed water that was really light green, maybe bordering into yellow. So given that the soil is <7, this shouldn't really be a pH issue right? I haven't really noticed sickness spreading, so maybe it was just a Mg or Ca deficiency. I just fed it some Pura Vida Grow and Cal-Mag Plus, so I'll see how it responds.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back