Lighting and area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacock

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have not posted for awhile, so I'd like to ask a couple of questions

I have two rooms. Both are 7' X 8'. One room has a 6' ceiling and the other is 8'.
At present I'm using a 400 MH in the Veg state.
I'm in the process of buying lighting.
The plants will be ready for flowering soon.
So, I was thinking of buying Three - 600 switchable(MH and HPS), for the flowering area or maybe 2 - 1000 will be better since Lumatek has just made a 120 V - 1000 switchable.
In the other area what should I use (Veg.). I have 400 watt MH(old style) .
Use the 400 MH with a 1000 watt or buy another 400 switchable.
How long is a rule of thumb, you use for Veg.?
If it only a week or two maybe the 400 Watt MH would be enough.
I have also heard that some use HPS for both veg and bloom.
Just starting, so have lots of start up question.
If you have a link on this forum to read that would be great.

Thanks everyone.

if you go to th elighting section of the forum there is lots of stickys on everything to do with lights ,,,good luck:peace:

400watt MH should be enough for the veg room if you want just add a couple bigger Cfls.
As far as the Flower room I would either go 1 1000 watt HPS or 2 600 watt HPS. either way should be plenty of light for them just lower them about 12-18 inches away from your plants. Good luck And happy smoking.

Well, I find it hard to comment:
You told us that your rooms are 7 ft x 8 ft which is 56 ft2 and at a minimum 3K lumens/sq ft, you'd need around 160 K lumens. This is a lot more than your 400 MH will put out; therefore I can only guess that you're not using a lot of the space.
If that's true, first I ask you: how much spill are you getting from the lamp? If much is being wasted I'd plonk some lightweight reflector boards around the plants.
I use HPS for veg and bloom, but supplemented with some CFL. (300HPS+100CFL) It works fine.

1k hortilux = 145,000 L.. or "almost" enough to supply 1 room with "minimal" recommendation..

Latest posts

Back