Lighting Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jballschmi

Reaction score
info on the hps charts located above show distaces from the 150w at 4", 250 5". 400 at 6"...

how come the info below on the express light page show 2 to 3' above plants...

where's the big diff come from,

Hanging height: Due to the heat that is emitted from these types of fixtures, you should hang them according to size. Smaller wattage systems (100 and 250) should be hung about 2 to 3 feet from the top of the plants. Medium wattage systems (400 and 600) should be hung around 4 feet from the top of the plants

thanks
jack:hubba:

Yo dude I have 2 600 watt hps,about10-12" from the tops.I only have 7' 2 work with.If that where the case,I;d be growin micro-minis!Maby what you found is true,with no cool air,no fan....the worst conditions!

How close you can get your plants depends mostly on ventilation, I have really good ventilation and I get my 1000w within 6inches of canopy and my 600w within 4 inches! So with good ventilation you can get really close IMO, remember the closer the better!

Phatpharmer

the further away the less lumens per sq ft.

put your hand (palm down) at the top of your canopy and if its not too hot then the light is close enough.

I wanted to put on my opinion on this light discussion. I hope jballschmi takes the info he recieved and solves his light dilema. The posted info by the boardmembers was just the way I recieved it a couple of years ago. I have around 5 successful grows and they get better by reading and posting on this forum. I am impressed. :D for your grows

Using the hand test is pretty effective. The closer the better as the above poster said. The farther away the light is, the less it will penetrate to the lower growth. Take care and be safe.

i am trying to size the grow room / vs light type and watts / lumens
trying for not too much heat to not have much of a fan needed.
i'm in the 1'-6" x 3'6" x 5'-0" and wondering if thats enough ht for a 150 watt hps... or do i need to try and reduce the size of the hps w/ some additional cfl... that's where i noticed this chart of the lighting web page suggesting 2' plant clearance...pretty tight for space...might need to look for a taller cabinet ..like 7' or sothanks for all the help...j

why use the dim 1'6" x 3'6" x 5'? is it an existing wardrobe closet or are you building from scratch?

also, what is the ambient temp in the room?

what type of grow are you doing?

it's an existing file cab that i figured i could modify and be pretty stealth....

i could use the extra heat in the room 9 months a year...no ac rocky mountain high... so ya i'm thinkin a diff cab at lowe's etc...for more ht...
thanks all i'm good
j

If I were you I would grab some 1x2 and some panda film and build a nice little grow tent, thats what I did and I've never looked back, cheap easy and I can break the whole unit down in minutes as well as put back up in minutes! Just a thought?

Phatpharmer

How close can I get to my plants useing a fan as ventilation????????????

Latest posts

Back