lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizard

Reaction score
ok i just got new lights floro tubes i baught the wrong size bulbs for 6500 k the lights on the balast are 4700k will those work ok i plan on dropping kelvins soon and 12/12 anyway or should go get the 6500's till i start to flower????

I use flouro tubes unfortunately myself. yeah 6500 is fine, they wont short out yer ballast, they just wont last as long as the box says they will ;) I have 3 ballasts with 6 lights running 24/7 atm for my veg room, most of wich are 6500k lightbulbs, and my plants flourish for what they are. Remember if you're using flouro tubes, youre gonna want to get some compact flourescent lights, to hang around your plant(s) at various heights, to ensure optimum (yet cheaply done) growth for what you can afford. As a matter of fact, I did my first crop after being legalized with flouros, and got a decent yield, veg, flower the works...Keep the bulbs like 2" away from the tops, you should be raising them every day if all is going well. If you're not doing a single cola plant, i'd suggest LST and keep all the tops around the same height by tying them down, that will maximize your available lighting. Anyway, probably more info than you needed...yeah 6500k will work, no worries.

thanks for that was very helpful the bulbsi'm currently running are 4700k i have the wrong size 6500 and will be a while till i can bring them back i was wondering if the 4700 will work ok

I have two girls in flower right now..looking mighty nice I might add.With a little over 40,000 lumens of Floras(T5's and CFL'S) 3000K..Vegged them under same setup with 6500K Bulbs and tubes. T5's at top of canopy,, and CFL's down in the canopy.;) Pretty nice looken buds too. And yes I know I could get a better yeild with HIDs,,,but mine is Small and Personal,,with NO heat problems. Very stealthly setup.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=403963&postcount=15

i overdrived my floro tubes i use them for my side ighting in veg .then theres 6 6500k cfl with poor mans reflectors aka "pop can raped with mylar"

looking great man right now my biggest is about 6in 5 layers i have two lights hanging and one sitting beside them will 4700k be ok or should i get the 6500k all to gether about 10,000 lumens
man they put off heat for floros about 7inches from plants

lizard said:
looking great man right now my biggest is about 6in 5 layers i have two lights hanging and one sitting beside them will 4700k be ok or should i get the 6500k all to gether about 10,000 lumens
man they put off heat for floros about 7inches from plants

What kind of Floras are you using that are putting off alot of heat. Hell I can put the back of my hand right up against my T5's and it aint hot. If my house is at 75,,my growroom is at 78.
Use the 6500K for Vegg,,,although you can use what you have the 6500K would be better. Use 2700 or 3000K for flower,,,,BUT,,,ya need to try and have at least 5000 lumens per sf of grow area. The more the better.

lizard said:
thanks for that was very helpful the bulbsi'm currently running are 4700k i have the wrong size 6500 and will be a while till i can bring them back i was wondering if the 4700 will work ok

The 6500K, 4700K, etc has nothing at all to do with size--this is the spectrum of the bulb, nothing more. The higher spectrums are better for vegging. I would recommend a HPS for flowering. Watt per watt and lumen for lumen, fluoros will put out more heat and cost more to purchase and operate than a HPS, but yield substantially less.

Ok lizard how many tubes are you using? I would personally Upgrade to CFLs. Also which if your going to upgrade your tubes your going to need thoughs new T5s that kick out 5000 lumens I heard its a rumor but ill look for you to see if I can find them They sell cheap tubes at your local Osh or Ace Even Home Depot check them out anything under 4100k preferably 2700k and you should always use a multi spectrum for CFL's or tubes

HydroManiac said:
Ok lizard how many tubes are you using? I would personally Upgrade to CFLs. Also which if your going to upgrade your tubes your going to need thoughs new T5s that kick out 5000 lumens I heard its a rumor but ill look for you to see if I can find them They sell cheap tubes at your local Osh or Ace Even Home Depot check them out anything under 4100k preferably 2700k and you should always use a multi spectrum for CFL's or tubes

Thats what I am using,,, T5's(4ft) tubes are almost 5000 lumens each.

ok i'm usin 5 18 inch tubes in a4x4x7 tinyn *** closet and just lost two of my 3 plants after my aerogarden died so i built this lil set up and got some real good seeds from my bro tomorrow going to get two more 24 inch balasts what happend with bulb mix up is i got 2 f 20 bulbs to go with my 18 ballast
so i could mix up the spectrum now i'm just going to get the24 inches aswell
i find them cheaper than cfls and easier to work with when all done i send pics
thanks guys wish me luck

can i sugest takin part you floros and put a 12 v computer fan on the back. you goin to want to drill quarter inch holes at one end ove the ballast"right beside it".. just a sugestion i overdrived my 4 foot floro had to get rid of heat and since the metal that covers the ballast is hollow. it work to push the heat away from the light there for away from plants.

CowboyBudsky said:
Thats what I am using,,, T5's(4ft) tubes are almost 5000 lumens each.

LOL--They are no myth, I am using them also. I recently saw someone posting about 2' T5s that put out 5000 lumens :eek:. I love what my 4' ones do--the 2' 5000 lumesn have to kick butt!

I use my flouro fixture for seedlings, then later add it for supplemental side lighting during flowering. It's some more blue light which supposedly helps complement the red from my HPS.

update i built a 2'x2' hanging rack with 3 24 inch fixtures and bulbs 6500k
and one fixture on each side of my plants and they have just exploded i'm not trying to disspell cfls at all but so far these are doing great thanks tyo all that have helped Lizard

Latest posts

Back