Lost my exaust!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir_Tokie

Reaction score
Living here in the hot a$$ south I run my flower room at night from 9:00 pm till 9:00 am. Last night the lights and fans kick on and I hear a squealing sound, did'nt really think anything about it, thought it was the intake fans I have mounted on the bottom of my closet door (sometimes when they come on they vibrate the door panel and make a little noise till they mellow out) but after about 2 or 3 minutes it got louder. So I go and check out to see whats going on. Open the door and start pulling plugs till I found whitch one was making the noise it was my exaust fan. So I reach up to mess with it and boy howdy was that thing HOT. I am just lucky to be home when they came on or I do believe I would have had a fire (scary). So from now on I will make sure I am home when the room is running. That was just to close for comfort, and yes fire alarms and fire exstingusher are both ready and working...take care..

scary isn't it? I keep a smoke detector and one of those little $20 hand held fire extinguishers from Home Depot myself, smart move. Haven't had that happen to me before where a fan died, but I did have a timer fail recently and my lights didn't shut off, I was PISSED, but lesson learned, no more cheapo timers, only digital from now on.
If you don't mind blasting them, what brand were you using and how long had you had it?

I just run a 170cfm Bathroom exaust fan vented to my attic with a DIY scrubber it has worked great until last night. It was made by a company called BROAN. And I have used it for about 1 1/2 years. What happened was the bearings went out of the main shaft and thats what was making the squealing sound. My whole grow room is DIY except my light it's a 400 watt from HTG. I also had a timer fail about a year ago same thing MAD big time but like you went with a better timer and alls well now with it...take care..

ouch, go with a Vortex exhaust fan, they are a little over $100 but they come with a 10 year warranty and what they call "permanently lubricated bearnings". It's waht I use, pretty quiet and no trouble so far, really pull the air through my cool tubes.

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
ouch, go with a Vortex exhaust fan, they are a little over $100 but they come with a 10 year warranty and what they call "permanently lubricated bearnings". It's waht I use, pretty quiet and no trouble so far, really pull the air through my cool tubes.
I am just finishing up this grow and then will shut down the closet for the summer,(daughter is coming to visit and I don't grow when she's here) then when fall comes around I plan on upgrading some of my equipment and Vortex fans are on my list. I plan on building a new cab so I can have my closet back..lol...take care..

The Effen Gee said:
One time my ac unit timer was out of sync and my temps jumped to 125 for about an hour.
Don't you just hate it when equipment fails? Glad you caught it, any more than an hour in those temps your lower popcorn buds may have started popping j/k..lol...take care..

Sir_Tokie said:
I just run a 170cfm Bathroom exaust fan vented to my attic with a DIY scrubber it has worked great until last night. It was made by a company called BROAN. And I have used it for about 1 1/2 years. What happened was the bearings went out of the main shaft and thats what was making the squealing sound. My whole grow room is DIY except my light it's a 400 watt from HTG. I also had a timer fail about a year ago same thing MAD big time but like you went with a better timer and alls well now with it...take care..

Gosh guys.... pushing air through a scrubber for a year 'n half?.. doesn't sound like a "junk" product, simply an improvised product not really suitable for the task.
Like asking a 4 cylinder mazda engine to power a 2 'n half ton truck. IMO you asked a lot and got a lot, out of a fart fan... ;)

We didn't know he had run it for a year and a half or that it was a fart fan before it blew until his update.

You will like the vortex fans, I use the 4" rated at 172CFM and it works like a dream, no complaints at all. I use two 600 watt cool tubes in a 216 cubic foot space with passive air intake and the one 4" vortx exhaust fan keeps my room cool enough. The house stays at 70, the room at 75.

Broan is the Kleenex of the fart fan world. Unless they've quit carrying them, you can buy a new fan motor at Huevo Depo. Broans do come in several grades but I think Hick's right about the application. A 4" can generic knock off wouldn't be but about twice the price of another Braun--$60-$70. JMO.

Tokie, I don't know if it did any good other than soothing my tranquility, but after I saw how hot everything in my room got, I went back and put GFI outlets at all locations. Call me nancy, but I don't wanna burn my wife's house down just to get a buzz on.

Hick said:
Gosh guys.... pushing air through a scrubber for a year 'n half?.. doesn't sound like a "junk" product, simply an improvised product not really suitable for the task.
Like asking a 4 cylinder mazda engine to power a 2 'n half ton truck. IMO you asked a lot and got a lot, out of a fart fan... ;)
Yeah I can't complain I got my money's worth out of it. Might of had $25 in the whole set up and grew 5 crops using it never had any temp problems really. The only thing I ever had a problem with was in winter time it would bring temps down to low on colder days. But all in all could'nt complain..take care..

PencilHead said:
Broan is the Kleenex of the fart fan world. Unless they've quit carrying them, you can buy a new fan motor at Huevo Depo. Broans do come in several grades but I think Hick's right about the application. A 4" can generic knock off wouldn't be but about twice the price of another Braun--$60-$70. JMO.

Tokie, I don't know if it did any good other than soothing my tranquility, but after I saw how hot everything in my room got, I went back and put GFI outlets at all locations. Call me nancy, but I don't wanna burn my wife's house down just to get a buzz on.
I also run GFI outlets for my room. I believe the breaker would have kicked off if the fan would have seized up and overloaded the circuit or even the surge protector power strip my fans are plugged into may have kicked off. But I was lucky to be home when it started up, just kinda scary knowing that the chance of fire is there to begin with. But I caught it early and alls well now I placed a fan at the top of my door to pull all the hot air out. Now it exaust into my bedroom but no biggie as I only have about 4 weeks till they are finished:D But my next fan will be a Vortex I have been looking at them for the new cab...take care..

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
We didn't know he had run it for a year and a half or that it was a fart fan before it blew until his update.

You will like the vortex fans, I use the 4" rated at 172CFM and it works like a dream, no complaints at all. I use two 600 watt cool tubes in a 216 cubic foot space with passive air intake and the one 4" vortx exhaust fan keeps my room cool enough. The house stays at 70, the room at 75.
Kool because thats the 1 I was thinking about getting the 172cfm 4" vortex for my new cab I plan on building. My plans are to build a true 3x3x6 cab tired of using my closet that is shaped like a rectangle hard to get the light foot print to spread evenly...take care..

Hick said:
...Nancy.... :p

Yeah, that's right up there with darlene in levels of panziness.:rolleyes:

In application: Damn, Darrell Dwayne, them's some doggoned darlene britches you got on.

Latest posts

Back