lumatek vs other Digital ballasts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieG

Reaction score
So I'm going for a new 600 watt set up. Its either buy a 600 watt 120 volt lumatek and piece the rest together, or buy this complete 600 watt set up by HTG Supply. I know lumatek is known as the king of ballasts, but the HTG set up is half the price and SAID to outperform the lumatek. I figured I would ask for help before I spent 400+ on lights. I have no problem doing it, but why do it when I can spend 200 IF the system is just as good or close too. Which of the two would you guys pick up?

hXXp://cgi.ebay.com/600-watt-HPS-MH...3695004QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

first on is the HTG 600 watt. Total Price of all materials: 235 if i buy the kit.

hXXp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190213375027

Second one is the lumatek ballast I'll get. Total Price: $412

Any suggestions?

lumatek are among the BEST digital ballasts on the market...the ones that HTG sells have a warranty but you WILL need it. i've heard nothing but great things about lumatek and am about to buy 2 of the 1000w from hydrowholesale.com they sell the kit with the 19" cooltube complete for $399....the 600w w/cooltube is only $289 and if you are close to georgia , you'll get it the next day..,even with standard UPS ground..:D :D :D

also,... i'm pretty darn sure the 600w "switchable" ballasts do not exsist..the 400's and the 1000's fire both MH and HPS but not the 600's(the ad said MH/HPS 600w lumatek)

Ok looks like the lumatek then. I found this one that says lumatek ballast, but why is the MH bulb it can come with a conversion bulb? I thought these things didn't need conversion bulbs just regular MH bulbs?

THE 400W AND 1000W MODELS CAN FIRE EITHER BULB,BUT NOT THE 600W MODELS....so if you buy a 600w you'll prolly have to use a MH conversion bulb...i could be wrong but i don't think so....before you buy, look at what HYDROWHOLESALE.com sells them for...best prices on the web...just buy the air cooled 1000w ....no conversion bulbs with that one...

Seems like 600 watt models ARE switchable, BUT they have many problems with many types of bulbs for MH because the bulbs are not made up to standards. The entire thing is ecu controlled so it switches automatically. I'm still think the HTG one may be the best buy. I have a 400 watt and they are awesome so.

I bought the same light, same kit, at the same place actually....LOL

I have a lumateck 600. I use it for both veg and flowrer. I dont use conversion bulbs and have fired both lights with no problem.did 3 months with an mh and one month on hps.......No conversion bulb ever.....

The only problem is that HTG sent me what looked to be a refurbished lamp cord, he said it was new, but i could clearly see it wasnt....

I have a 600 watt and 1000 watt lumatek. They both own. But if you have a 600 watt ballast, only put a 600 watt lamp in it. Same with the 1000 watt. The 600 watt HPS I use is special, it's a hortilux 600 watt that works in the 600 watt ballasts.

The 600 watt Hortilux costed more than the 1000 watt though LOL because of the way they had to make it to work with the ballast. Even though the 600 watt has 88k lumens and the 1000 watt has 145k lumens. LOL THATS SO MUCH!

I also have the Hortilux 600 HPS bulb, due to it being pretty close to a full spectrum bulb. The one I have is 93K lumens.

Very happy with my Lumatek/Hydrofarm 400w Cool Tube setup. Hortilux bulb completes the package, this thing is great!

is the light from a hortilux visibly different from the standard bulbs ? or just different to the plants?

VISIBLY redder and richer, with a much warmer color tone than many other bulbs. Add that to the lumatek and it burns even brighter!

PUFF MONKEY said:
THE 400W AND 1000W MODELS CAN FIRE EITHER BULB,BUT NOT THE 600W MODELS....so if you buy a 600w you'll prolly have to use a MH conversion bulb...i could be wrong but i don't think so....before you buy, look at what HYDROWHOLESALE.com sells them for...best prices on the web...just buy the air cooled 1000w ....no conversion bulbs with that one...

The 600 watt MH conversion is $107, and is made by Sunmaster.

Wow, thanks so much for the posts. Sounds like the 1000watt would have been an incredible deal, but I was so worried about the power increase. I'm in college, I feel like we would be watched for that kinda spike in bill. It should be here a day before my birthday! What a great birthday present that will be to move my 5 new babies and 3 big girls from a 400 watt to this! I'm really hoping to notice a difference on this next grow. Thinking of moving up to fox farm nutes, and went up big on this new set up so I couldn't be more excited.

You should buy bio-bizz or earth juice. Ive used both.

Amazing taste and fragrance.

Botanicare is another good brand. I have gotten good results from their pro bloom as well.

Check out

hXXP://www.greengoldhydro.com

They have the cheapest lumateks I've found on an online store.

NewbieG said:
I feel like we would be watched for that kinda spike in bill.

Most people are found because they steal power. Thats how you get watched. Pay your bill, keep it under 1000w per person in the house and you should never get a knock.

I Eat Valium said:
The 600 watt MH conversion is $107, and is made by Sunmaster.

I was told sunmaster bulbs have problems with the lumatek ballast because they require too much energy to start up. i saw the conversion bulb, but does anyone have experience using this bulb on a lumatek just to make sure?

Latest posts

Back