Maintaining Mothers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagametHB

Reaction score
Another Newby Q.

I have set up a rather small veg room with the intention of keeping 2 plants growing and cloning from those two plants. So far so good. They are super healthy. the problem is that they are HUGE. Is there a theory I should follow to prune it and keep the plants a little smaller? I have topped once and it felt like circumcising myself. Is that a bad thing to do (topping, not the circumcision)? I only need a few clones every few months, so I need to prune way more often than I actually need for clippings. Any suggestions?

I am using a 2 foot by 4 light CFS on a 24 hour cycle with full strength Nutes.

Well ill tell you this never cut moor than a third of the plant at one time.

so other than that, I should just cut away and not worry about it? Do I need to be rigid in my pruning schedule or can I just kinda chop off the tops as they reach the light? Also, is it better, worse, or all the same to use the tops of the plant as clones versus the bottom stems?

Thanks all.

THB

Its all about the same, the tops might be a little moor healthy, but i would wait at least a week or 2 in between cuttings. The plant needs time to rejuvenate..

I dont follow a squedule, just dont take more than 1/3

Also I find if I keep just cutting the top down (l like a hedge) the plant will become so bushy on the top I wil get 0 light penatration, thats when I will start removing branches all the way down on the main stem to thin it out a bit.

I used to be all careful about it and then after a year I just "go to town on it"

sweet. thanks for saving me that year of inexperience!

How long should I expect to keep the Mom's alive? As long as I want?

from what ive read the bottom branches are better to use as clones because of hormones. I have heard that many times but I clone from top and bottom and have same results.

tagametHB said:
sweet. thanks for saving me that year of inexperience!

How long should I expect to keep the Mom's alive? As long as I want?

I have 2, both in waterfarms, one has been with me over a year now.
I keep cutting and it keeps growing, ive never had to trim roots or do much of anything but keep cutting it down.

I dont feed her much of anything to slow growth, just keeps her kinda pale green a little.

"Dude" when you say you dont feed her much, what do you mean? i have a mother who is about 5 weeks old now and she is starting to get big and bushy.. i would like to keep her as small as possable as i only need to take about 6 clones every month or so. I have been reading on bonzai, but i dont feal like doing that much work on her.. i have my ppm at around 800 on her now.. you run hydro, so i was wondering what ppm you feed her to keep her small?? thanks

Bleek187 said:
"Dude" when you say you dont feed her much, what do you mean? i have a mother who is about 5 weeks old now and she is starting to get big and bushy.. i would like to keep her as small as possable as i only need to take about 6 clones every month or so. I have been reading on bonzai, but i dont feal like doing that much work on her.. i have my ppm at around 800 on her now.. you run hydro, so i was wondering what ppm you feed her to keep her small?? thanks

I really have no idea, Im only trying to limit N to slow growth, the plant is still huge.
If you want it small just cut her at the size you want to keep her at.

As I said you dont have to do anything special just cut away.

800 PPM will promote vigorous growth.... If you want to maintain your mama the current size, lower that PPM to the 200-300 area.... that will slow her growth to the point where you should be able to get the few cuts a month you want from her without her getting out of control...

One idea on pruning her, will take a couple weeks but is an option.... Cut one main branch at a time down to the lowest node with growth on it.... make sure light is hitting the area to promote foilage growth in that area. Once that area starts growing fine, cut another main branch down the same way.... whatever you do, do NOT do them all the same time.... Basically you will be bonzaiing your mama )...... This is kinda of a drastic pruning method, but it sounds like you are running out of space pretty fast..

Basically cut one main branch a month. Take your clones off the top of the branch you cut for that month..

Latest posts

Back