Majority of American favour pot legalisation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
This is the first time a poll has shown more than 50% of Americans favouring marijuana legalisation.

A slim majority of Americans favour the legalisation, taxing, and regulation of marijuana, according to a new poll released yesterday.

The poll is the first time more than 50% of Americans have favoured legalisation, said Bruce Mirken, communications director of the Marijuana Policy Project, a thinktank that supports decriminalising the drug.

The survey was conducted by Zogby and the O'Leary Report, a conservative publication.

Of the 3,919 American surveyed, 52% favour legalising the drug, while 37% oppose it. The poll advances slightly from one taken last week by ABC News and the Washington Post, in which 46% favour legalisation compared to 52% who oppose.

"This new survey continues the recent trend of strong and growing support for taxing and regulating marijuana and ending the disastrously failed policy of prohibition," Rob Kampia, Marijuana Policy Project executive director, said in a statement.

Respondents were asked

Scarce law enforcement and prison resources, a desire to neutralize drug cartels and the need for new sources of revenue have resurrected the topic of legalizing marijuana. Proponents say it makes sense to tax and regulate the drug while opponents say that legalization would lead marijuana users to use other illegal drugs. Would you favor or oppose the government's effort to legalize marijuana?

The Obama administration said recently it would no longer prosecute medical marijuana providers who are otherwise in compliance with state law, though the president does not favour outright legalisation. In Massachusetts, voters in November decriminalised possession of an ounce or less of the drug. California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger recently said the time is right for a debate on marijuana legalisation.

hxxp://shuurl.com/Z4736

"opponents say that legalization would lead marijuana users to use other illegal drugs."

this doesn't make sense to me... MJ is currently illegal, and those users that choose to do other 'stuff' do so already. making it legal would only encourage me to stay farther away from that crap cause im not 'already' a criminal by smoking MJ.. anyone feel me on this?

I feel ya ishnish :D

As for me I had a conversation with some co-workers and I was a little shocked. Shocked that people whom I had no idea would ever support decriminalizing/legalizing MJ, were ready to vote it in just on the merit of the economic gains this country would profit from.

Yea I never understood that "gateway Drug" argument that Republicans over the age of 60 still throw around because they are they only ones that stil believe it (they were raised on it).
How is it that marijuana can lead people to doing more dangerous drugs, but tobacco, liquor, and prescription meds are NEVER called gateway drugs...doesn't make sense. They all mess you up!

the only way i see it being a gate way your dealer
some dealers sell more than just pot and will sell to anyone 5-55 years of age
......i have been a dealer very shortly it was only weed! and the youngest person i ever gave a bag to was around 20

MJ is not the Gateway drug. Alcahol is the Gateway Drug. I have seen alot of PPL try **** cause they were drinking. I was drinking way before I started smoking weed. Now I drink very little. What pisses me off is to see Cops and Law Makers drinking and having a grand ole time while busting PPL for MJ. Makes me sick.:confused:

I think we really need to look at all the people that have overdosed on MJ.
Uhhh... ok NM. I think that the focus has shifted to prescription drugs, based on the ads in the US. I see the drug companies fighting it (loss of profit). Also why the EDIT do we justify the amount of kids/adults messed up on prescription drugs. They are WAY over prescribed. Keep pumping up the profits for the quarterly shareholder meeting. I gotta go puke now

Really, end this prohibition now please.

funny this modern world.. (we think) we've got rid of slavery, and peons.. yet it's still just kings rulling over peasants.
'the working class' is just a modern term for slave.

amazing how many people don't see marijuana as a big problem.. only the people at the top do (probably because it opens our minds/eyes to garbage like this) so it stays illegal.

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
Republicans over the age of 60 still throw around because they are they only ones that stil believe it (they were raised on it).
that is no less bias/prejudice than saying all pot smokers are useless, or are drug abusers. And it no less a form of profiling.
There are "plenty" of dems/liberals JUST as uninformed and carrying the same opinion. . Including 'your' exalted leader..

:confused: i saw this commercial last night for a sleeping pill... "some side effects may include nose bleeding, difficulty breathing, and in rare cases, death" :shocked:

Come on!! :hitchair: :hairpull:

last night i was smoke'n some stuff i had that was in flower for over 4.5 months, I slept like a baby! woke up with the munchies! :hubba:

Hick said:
that is no less bias/prejudice than saying all pot smokers are useless, or are drug abusers. And it no less a form of profiling.
There are "plenty" of dems/liberals JUST as uninformed and carrying the same opinion. . Including 'your' exalted leader..

....if you are sending me emails telling me that you can't post about politics in the forum, why are you talking about politics in the forum? Pretty hypocritical to take pot shots at Obama don't you think? Besides, he is relaxing the Federal stance on MJ, not amping up going after it, so I don't understand your point about him carrying a poor opinion of MJ.

I didn't "email" you. I "private messaged" you. As is my duty as moderator, to inform and enforce the rules and guidelines. ---> http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Site_Rules.html
17.You will not discuss politics, religion, saints or sports.

I commented because your statement was ignorant.(I'm NOT saying "you" are ignorant) And I addressed it for its ignorance, not for its political content.. No less ignorant than saying " Democrats are communist".. or "Mexicans are the gangsta's".. or "Blacks are the crack problem".. "Muslims are terrorists"..."Catholic Priests are pedophiles"... Those kinds of generalizations make anyone look ignorant.
And you point out "my" hypocrisy..?? :rofl:
I might be a conservative quickly approaching 60, and might have taken it as offensive at best.

All Politicians SUCK. Dem and Rep. All are a bunch of lying bastages,,and if ya dont believe me,,go to Washington and ask a Politician.:rolleyes:

Ok well how about this then. What if I was to say, "Historically the Republican Party and conservatives have taken a harder stance on relaxing MJ laws as compared to their Democratic counterparts and liberals". Saying this would not be profiling or ignorant would it? It would be a fact? So to allude to the FACT that the republican party and conservatives have historically been against MJ throughout history would be making an observation since this point can be proven by observing the course of political parties and it's affiliations throughout history.
I am not taking a characteristic of many and applying it to one person. If I was to say, "Obama will relax marijuana laws becauase he is a liberal", well that is profiling because I am taking a macro characteristic and applying it in a micro situation.

Saying "Blacks are the crack problem" is nothing like saying, "The Republican Party has spearheaded the war on drugs and the bad PR MJ gets". The problem with my post was HOW I said what I said, not what I said. But to say that Conservatives and the Republican party has been a huge detriment to relaxing MJ laws in the US is stating a fact that can be verified through observation.

Please understand I am not trying to sttart an argument, jsut defend my point. I can easily see how my post was offensive because of HOW I said what I said about the Republican party.

ishnish said:
"opponents say that legalization would lead marijuana users to use other illegal drugs."

this doesn't make sense to me... MJ is currently illegal, and those users that choose to do other 'stuff' do so already. making it legal would only encourage me to stay farther away from that crap cause im not 'already' a criminal by smoking MJ.. anyone feel me on this?

they lack common sense or just ignore it for there agenda.

The main "gateway" to drug abuse is the good old American philosophy of putting a bandaide or aspirin on anything that has a boo-boo, including the brain. We already are a drug culture--watch the sit-coms from the 60's. Major What's-His-Name from I Dream of Jeannie was always going home to have 2 martinis and a tranquilizer (uh, did someone say alcohol poisoning?). I got to grow up watching adults do legal speed to diet, then do legal downers to sleep them off. What gateway? The whole damn fence is gone.

i think it will lead to trouble, but just my 2 cents...

De criminalize it, and prisons will be less crowded (most would agree with this, and it would be a great second step). The state gets money from fines. In my perfect world, it would be legal and of course it would be growable by whosoever wished to grow.

Latest posts

Back