Man vs Wild...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFLgrower

Reaction score
From Dlisted.com:

Bear Grylls has a show on the Discovery Channel called "Man VS Wild" where he battles the elements, quickly builds shelter and eats live animals.​

Well, sources say that Bear is a big fraud. They say that producers make it look like he's braving it, but when the cameras are turned off Bear checks himself into a hotel.​

Mark Weinhart was hired as a consultant to the show and said that it's mostly fake. He said that in an episode where Bear is supposed to be camping in the mountains and biting the heads off of snakes, he was actually spending nights in a hotel complete with jacuzzi and internet access. In another episode where Bear was supposed to be stranded on a deserted island, he was actually staying in a hotel in Hawaii.​

The Discovery Channel has launched their own investigation to find out the truth! They said, "Discovery Communications has learned that isolated elements of the 'Man vs. Wild' show in some episodes were not natural to the environment, and that for health and safety concerns the crew and host received some survival assistance while in the field," a spokeswoman for the network said. Moving forward the program will be 100 percent transparent and all elements of the filming will be explained up-front to our viewers. In addition, shows that are to be repeated will be edited appropriately."​

I myself am or "was" a fan of the show... I just heard about this today and if it is true its pretty dissapointing... It makes everyones imagination amped up about how life would be if you were stranded out on a Island or in the mountains.... Well i guess all we have left is survivor man haha

I always used to say man vs. wild is fake. For one he always has a cameramen with him. And you know they have food and tents.

But survivor man, I think it he real. He is on his own when he goes out to do his thing.

I have heard that surviver man is totally real. I heard Bear Grills on a radio interview and he admits he doesnt do what survivor man does. He admitted to having a whole camera crew with him and some other stuff that I dont remember but he didnt say anything about staying in hotels. Either way I dont really care cause I still like the show.

It wont surprise me that it's fake, most shows are there just out there to make money.

You know, I really like that show. I know it's probably not real in that he's not really "braving it" but the information he provides is correct. I check EVERYTHING that he says on that show, and it's all true. So, I really don't care if a camera man follows him or he spends 2 hours shooting and 3 nights in a five star hotel. As long as he can tell me how to survive, I don't care what HE really does behind the scenes. I care whether or not I could stay alive by using his information. Because after all, isn't that really why they produce the show?

~Metalchick

As former SAS, Bear can do whatever he wants and still be labeled an authentic tough guy!!

RLTW

What can I say... My dad used to roam the Arizona North Country with a couple of dogs and a rifle for weeks I would call that BA I would also call the natives and any group that stays in the wild BA but to learn anything from Man vs Wild is just wrong most likely because all americans have a rich diet and would most likely die or become sick from the stunts bears pulls and thats not an opinion i would consider that a fact eating raw snake bugs uncooked fish... COME ON get serious as real as it gets is Man vs Wild I dont know anyone here on MP that has SAS training to stay alive but I wouldnt know

Just my .02 cents

i dont know if i would look to the tele for educational purposes,but...ive always liked watching survivorman better just knowing he was on his own.

As long as there is no false information present in Man vs Wild, then who cares where he sleeps at night? What do you expect these actors to actually camp in the field? It's a TV SHOW people, get real. I have seen survivorman before and the show seems ok. Now about people on here not being able to live in the wild, you are quite wrong. As goofy as it may sound, I've taken 3 eight week survival trips. There's just something about nature that I love, and trust me you can't carry eight weeks of food. I usually only bring light snacks enough for two weeks and rely on nature for the rest of my nutrition during my trip. As long as you do your research on the food supply in the area you will be traveling and look up some basic how-to's of survival, most people would be fine.

Latest posts

Back