Marijuana strength

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacock

Reaction score
Hi, I harvested a few months ago. Dried the product. placed it in jars and then froze it. I'm just starting to use it and noticed that the strength has gone down. The marijuana is not as strong as it was when first dried.
Is this common? Or are there better ways on preserving the product?
Is there any other posts that I can read to help out this concern.

Thanks in advance

The Hemp Goddess said:
You should not freeze it. Keep in a cool dark place to cure.

How long do I keep in a cool place before I freeze it?

The common wisdom is that freezing your buds breaks the trichs off as well as reduces the moisture level. That's how bubble hash is made.

This is from RC Clarke's Marijuana Botany:

Storage

Cannabis floral clusters are best stored in a cool, dark place. Refrigeration will retard the breakdown of cannabinoids, but freezing has adverse effects. Freezing forces moisture to the surface from the inside of the floral tissues and this may harm the resins secreted on the surface. Floral clusters with the shade leaves intact are well protected from abrasion and accidental removal of resins, but manicured floral clusters are best tightly packed so they do not rub together. Glass jars and plastic freezer bags are the most common containers for the storage of floral clusters. Polyethylene plastic sandwich or trash bags are not suited to long-term storage since they breathe air and water vapor. This may cause the floral clusters to dry out excessively and lose potency. Heat-sealed boilable plastic pouches do not breathe and are frequently used for storage. Glass canning jars are also very air-tight, but glass breaks. It is feared by some connoisseurs that plastic may also impart an unpleasant taste to the floral clusters. In either case, additional care is usually taken to protect the floral clus ters from light so another opaque container is used to cover the clear glass or plastic wrapping. Clusters are not sealed permanently until they have finished curing. Curing involves the presence of oxygen, and sealing floral clusters will end the free exchange of oxygen and end curing. However, oxygen also causes the slow breakdown of THC to CBN, so after the curing process is completed, the container is completely sealed. Any oxygen present in the container will be used up and no more can enter. Nitrogen has been suggested as a packing medium because it is very non-reactive and inexpensive. Jars or bags may be flooded with nitrogen to displace air and then sealed. Vacuum-sealing machines are available for Mason jars and may be modified to vacuum-sealed bags.

Painful lesson. Sorry about your smoke.

I know friends who put their fully cured buds each year from their outdoor harvest in mason jars and bury it for future consumption and it is always just as dank when they dig it back up as it was the day they shoveled soil on it. LE is pretty tenacious but they usually won't go digging around looking for your stash...

Peace!:cool:

Latest posts

Back