max waiting time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom thumb

Reaction score
I purchased some seeds, Jock Horror from a dealer, I have germinated many seeds in the past and am attempting the same with these although to no avail, how long soaking before i can say they are duds for sure, I'd hate to discard them and find out they take an abnormal length to germ. they are tiny seeds to, similar in size to northerns, i used a link from here to purchase them and was pleased with everything, and I'm sure if there is an issue they'll make it right, cheers Tom

You're soaking them in a cup of water, I assume?

I do that for a day, then put them in damp paper towel, in a ziplock, and then place on top of the fridge (the slightly warm spot).

I've heard people say they've had seeds take as long as a few weeks to crack open.

Never had any take longer than a week, personally.

Goodluck :)

You should also be using imo distilled water that has ben ph'ed.

Thanks all, I am doing the right things, even on fridge, just was wondering on how long, i've never seen longer then 3-4 days, but it has been 4 days now so i am ok still cheers thanks

If they don't crack open after two weeks.. (or whenever you sense they're going dud).. you could try this technique.. it's worked for me a few times, but I've killed a few seeds this way also:

squish the seed, between your thumb and index finger, until you feel a little pop

this pop is the seed casing.. sometimes it's too solid for the plant to open itself

be really careful not to squish too hard, or the plant inside will be destroyed and turn to mush

k+ :)

Thanks King Bud these are solid little suckers an I was thinking of giving them a little press kinda like when you check to see if a seed is good or hollow

King Bud said:
If they don't crack open after two weeks.. (or whenever you sense they're going dud).. you could try this technique.. it's worked for me a few times, but I've killed a few seeds this way also:

squish the seed, between your thumb and index finger, until you feel a little pop

this pop is the seed casing.. sometimes it's too solid for the plant to open itself

be really careful not to squish too hard, or the plant inside will be destroyed and turn to mush

k+ :)

Good advice ^^^ If you drop some more, I'd suggest you sand along the seem a little, Helps open hard seed cases. I've found that the seeds that struggle to open always seem to have small cotlydons (even big seeds).

i too have had some seeds that took 2 weeks to pop.just be patient.i repot them as they pop.patience is the key.to me also keepimg them in a dark enviroment.

Latest posts

Back