metal halide and HPS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FATBOY

Reaction score
I di like some opinions on the effectiveness of metal halides I have a full spectrum 400 watt metal halide I started to use at week 3 of veg and is working great I m in week 3 of flower now. if anyone has flowered with metal halide please fill me in. I ve seen guys use a couple cfl's and get some weight so I should be shinin I think

Going with a MH the whole way through should give you shorter, bushier plants, that may take a tad bit longer to mature. You will not harvest as much as you would with an HPS, but the buds CAN be stonier because of the miniute amounts of UVB produced by MH's, where HPS's has no UVB.

Overall you should be very satisfied with your MH harvest. With all that being said, I am an HPS kind of guy.lol

Good luck and keep us posted

I have never flowered with a metal halide, but every one I've seen has a color temp of 4200k+. With a more red light (2000-3000k) it'll help bud development and you should have a higher yield. Plus, most HPS bulbs have a significant amount more lumens.

I'm sure they work great (better than CFLs at least), but if you want to maximize your yield go with the HPS. I'd like to see what people who have flowered using both would have to say on the subject though.

thanks man. I never knew about the uvb thats cool makes me feel better about what I got I m trying to save up for a conversion bulb but thats 120 dollars I have one of those high bay hood and ballast set ups for like warehouses and pole barns and I got that for 70 bulb and all so I m hoping I m satisfied with it for now. to tell ya the truth I got little popcorn nugs that are only an inch and when I go see them a couple times a day no matter what mood I m in I just wanna cheese and giggle I m in week 3 of flower so you can imagine how small the nugs are but they make me proud like wow I made that!

thanks ILL I wqs wondering if there is any way to cheaply suplement red spectrum in my room?

sure get some cheap CFL's with warm light and position them so that each plant can use a bit of the light. 42w CFL's at walmart are only like $10, just watch your temps and control any and all heat issues

FATBOY said:
thanks ILL I wqs wondering if there is any way to cheaply suplement red spectrum in my room?
Some warm CFLs would be a cheap way, but I don't know how much that would help if it's just an "add on" to the main light, nor am I sure on the exact color temperature range of the warm CFLs.

From what I understand, if you have HID lighting with enough lumens for the space then you should be very satisfied with your yield, HPS just gives optimum results for flowering. Also, you may have an MH with a lot of the red spectrum anyways, there are a good amount out there that work excellent for both veg and flower and have color temps between 4000-5000k instead of 6000+.

EDIT: Didn't see massproducer's post, but if he says go for it, I say go for it as well. The added red spectrum can't do anything but help.

I just checked my bulb info and I have a 3200 K rating can any one help me there

Wow, I've never seen an MH with that amount of red light. That should be great for flowering.

BUT, this leaves me with a question for those more knowledgeable than I on the subject; if an HPS and MH have the exact same color temp, does one technology still have any advantages over the other? This is based solely on the type of HID lighting and not other factors that could be different such as the number of lumens.

Generally a MH put out less lumens and is less efficient then a HPS of the same wattage, and that means MH to HPS conversion bulbs as well.

1000w MH = 110,000 - 115,000 lumens
1000w MH-HPS conversion bulbs = 115,000 - 117,000 lumens

1000w HPS = 145,000 - 160,000 lumens

So even with a coversion bulb a MH still puts out less light and more heat

Latest posts

Back