Milar VS. White walls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50bud

Reaction score
Just a quick question. I was wondering maybe from someone with experience from using both, is it a well worth investment to buy milar for extra reflectiveness or just a plain white wall? Obviously you get more growth with the milar but is its more significant? Worth the invetsment? If so can i get it at a local home department store like lowes? Any idea on how much it would cost?

The guy at my local hydro shop says he uses black and white poly rather than mylar, because he can wash the black and white poly and use it again. He told me the mylar doesn't hold up well being cleaned...

50bud said:
Just a quick question. I was wondering maybe from someone with experience from using both, is it a well worth investment to buy milar for extra reflectiveness or just a plain white wall? Obviously you get more growth with the milar but is its more significant? Worth the invetsment? If so can i get it at a local home department store like lowes? Any idea on how mch it would cost?
IMHO,You are pretty close on reflectiveness between mylar and white walls.There is a thread in here somewhere on the differnt things and there reflectiveness.Do a search on that.SO,I would say you would be just as good with white walls.Keep it GREEN:hubba:

yo 50bud - i am using mylar everywhere in my room + i think it works good + bad. good - very, very reflective, even areas that have gotten wet still reflect a lot of lite back. bad - very, very reflective, so much so that walking around looking at the brite lite all the time isn't good, even wearing sunglasses the lite reflects everywhere your looking. i would paint the area instead if i could do it over - that way i could always add mylar later if required. c pics @ " a little sick" in the grow journal, off mylar/reflections.

i'd go with paint personally....great reflectiveness and usually easier to work with than mylar....cheaper too....

I used Mylar when I built my closet. I got some industrial strength spray adhesive and sprayed that on the back of the door, the walls, and the ceiling of my closet, (one at a time), and then carefully rolled on the Mylar pushing out any air bubbles like when you put window tint in your car. When I want to clean it I just take everything out of the closet, and spray a lil Windex on it and then wipe it down with a clean towel or something. I usually dont have much problem with it, and (knock on wood) it hasn't ripped yet. :confused2:

white walls for me have always been the best. the reflectin and hat the white is the best flat white !!

Mylar is like $20 bux for a 50ft roll.

It really is a cheap investment.

IMO. I have white walls in some parts of my house.
and my whole grow room is covered in Mylar.
From my personal experience. Mylar is alot better.. Why??

even with a 40watt incandescent light on, the Mylar actually
reflects the light (the wrinkled light look after the reflection, like you
see with HID lights in aquarium lighting in the water). I dont see that
with white paint. Looks more like the white paint absorbs light, to me.

either way you can go wrong.. mylar or white paint.

goodluck.

the wrinkled light look after the reflection, like you
see with HID lights in aquarium lighting in the water)
a reflected "image"..;) ..not the same as reflected "light"..
Mylar is the "most" efficient reflectant, with flat white paint running a close second.

Latest posts

Back