Need advice - 9% peroxide adequate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cael69

take the high road...
Reaction score
Hi. I purchased a bottle of 9% H2O2 at the local pharmacy. I want to bosst the roots a bit on my girls and also provide some precautionary disinfection of the ebb and flow setup I´m using. Is 9% peroxide adequate for a 30 lt., aprox. 4 gallon reservoir?:confused2:

i have used 3% H2O2 at 2.5 tsp per gallon of water so that would make it 10 tsp for 4 gallons and your solution is three times as strong (9% as opposed to my 3%) so 10/3 ~ 3.33 tsp for 4 gallons.

I never used H2O2 to help with roots unless it was root rot though...

I grow in an aeroflo2. I use 3%. It can help in several ways. It can help in preventing algea, but the best way to prevent algea is to keep all light out of your reservoir. If your reservoir temps are too high the roots will start to brown, Peroxide will help to slow that. Keep your water temp around 65 to 70 degrees to prevent browning. It also adds needed oxygen to the water. I think the peroxide will give your roots a small boost, but the best thing you can do to add oxygen is to add an air stone with a fish pump to your water. I dont know the measurements. I always just poured a little in my reservoir right from the bottle, but dont put too much. I dont know about the 9%, Maybe someone else can help with that. Later Man

i only use a few drops of 3% in a 15 gal e&f setup and i use city water with absolutely no probs

Take your 1L of 9% h2o2

pour into bowl.
put bowl in freezer
freeze until sizable amount of ice forms
using gloves pull the ice out and discard it letting free liquid drip back into bowl
pour contents of bowl into measuring device.
pour back into bowl.

repeat this until you have 90ml of liquid left.

this is 90ml of perfectly pure(usable in delicate synths) 30% h2o2.

when using standard 3%, seduce the 1L of h2o2 down to 30ml.

your welcome.

You can dilute it or if you want food grade h202 then you could buy some (up to 35%) or I guess you could freeze it but I would rather mess with buying a higher percentage h202 than freezing it...

Anyways, if the application is for more oxygen then I would put an airstone in like DLM3. I have found that when I use H202 the plants seem to get dependant on it...

but if it is for sanitation purposes than H202 is perfect for the non organic grower.

DLM3, i have a huge post about conc h2o2 if you search, but the short answer is that when h2o2 and h2o are combined in solution, the water freezes at a warmer temp than the h2o2. so what you are pulling out is pure frozen h2o. this only works until the solution is 30%h2o2. at this concentration both h2o2 and h2o have the same freezing point so you can no longer distinguish. But seeing as ~30% is azeotropic, you would never be able to possess a more concentrated h2o2 mixture without it being held under a vacuum aperatus.

edit: fixed numbers in orig post, they were off.

Hey Weezy, do u have any recommendations for organic sanitation solutions?:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back