Need Elecrical Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawk51

Reaction score
Does anyone kow how to run a line directly from the breaker box to an outlet. I need to bring in more power to my room and have 4 available 15amp breakers left. I just dont know how to run a direct line.. please help!!

i got 2 extra on mine, and soon as you get an answer we can both have more power!

I know... some advice...

get someone who knows how to do it to do it for you... do you want to kill yourself?

I'd come and do it for you... wanna tell me where you live? :spit:

That crazy vancouver guy said:
I know... some advice...

get someone who knows how to do it to do it for you... do you want to kill yourself?

I'd come and do it for you... wanna tell me where you live? :spit:
thats why i still got 2 extra circuits. im-a-scared of the stuff that zaps me!

i agree with CVG but if you know how to make the connections in the box and are asking how you would run the wire my advise is to either come out of your panel and go up into your attic or down into the basment and run the wire then go either up or down into the wall were the outlet is .

If you are afraid of it, then you dont need to mess with it, you could be killed. but if you do mess with the wiring, remember to shut off the main breaker before doing any wire connecting. I do this stuff all the time, but I'm not afraid of it. :)

Running a new electrical circuit is not that difficult. Do a search on "how to run a new electrical circuit. There are dozens of sites with step by step directions.

I am rather confused when you say that you have 4 15 amp circuits not being used. Generally if there is a breaker in an electrical box, it it connected to wiring that is running something. In other words, I have never seen an electrical box where they just inserted breakers that didn't have wiring connected to them and didn't run anything. Generally the knock out is intact and there is no breaker. This is so you can use the size breaker you need for your application.

Since the breaker needs to be removed from the electrical box to connect the wires and you need to run wiring, I would recommend installing a 20 amp breaker or larger if your service can handle it (and most can). A 20 amp breaker requires a heavier gauge wire than a 15 amp. Check codes in your area for what wire size you need for what breaker size.

First off if your gonna do it you dont need to shut the main breaker off. pre run your wire to were ever it is gonna go to starting from breaker box and running to outlet. wire up your out let first. you should be using at least a 14/3 wire. start by stripping the wires going to the outlet, about an inch exposed copper wire. You should have green ground, black power, white common. black on top left side of outlet should have two spots, white on opposite side one spot. Green on the bottom of outlet should be marked with a green dot. Use the red wire ties, tie like colors together, U don;t have to but I also put electrical tape on the outside of the wire tie so there is no mistakes after its in the wall.

To the breaker box we go. First you can shut the power off if you want to, I don't cause it is rather easy to do. First run your wire through the top or bottom of your box whatever you have space for the wire to fit. Then cut back about 8-12" of the outer wire holding all the wires together(make sure not to cut any of the other wires).once you do that the black and white wires goes to the circuit breaker and the green one goes to the rale that is in front of the breakers.. Put the circuit in the breaker by holding it with one hand. Put other hand behind back so you are not temtped to touch anything.
put it in at an angle. front to back(middle of box being front, next to the ground rale being back). double check everything. If you turned the power off at the beginning turn main breaker back on..

Hope it helped. Let me know if you have any questions..

stop right there, MR Backyard Electricians....

you DON'T know what u r doing.

you are WRONG

DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING.

DON'T GO KILLING YOURSELF/AND OR YOUR FAMILY

DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING. DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU "this is how u do it..."

have you EVER done any work as an electrician?... do you know ANYTHING about it?

no

DON'T MESS WITH IT. get a licenced electrician to do it for you. we don't care what the heck u need another outlet for... make something up... you want to put in an extra freezer, u tell them... we don't give a crap... as long as we get paid.

DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE'S ADVICE. get someone (an electrician) to do it for you...

I'm telling you... don't mess with this stuff, ok?... do you know how many times I've gone into a place and seen the stuff that "backyard" electricians do?... I like to tell people that I do the work for about how LUCKY they are that they have not already been killed because of shoddy electrical work by people WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING!!!

DON'T MESS WITH THIS STUFF, PEOPLE... it WILL kill you!!!

don't take my advice... go ahead and kill yourself... just remember my words in that fraction of a second that it takes for the electricity to kill you or start your place on fire.

don't be stupid, man....

I could give you detailed info on how to do it, but I'm not going to, cuz there is more to it than I could explain in 15-20 mins... and I'm not going to waste my time... and uhhh... the wire gauge is #12 CU/#10AL AWG for a 20A circuit, which you would only need if the run is over, like, 50'...which you wouldn't need more than 15A for if you were NOT A COMMERCIAL GROWER

oh ya... if you REALLY wanted to go all out... you should run yourself a sub-panel... :p

You mean you guys don't know electricians who smoke bud?

lol@ Mr backyard Electricians.

Do you have one hand on your hip while randomly pointing with the other as you say that :D

hey bud... I've been doing electrical for 23 years come next month... I am THE TOP electrician at construction sites... wanna get in my face some more???

wanna mess with a construction electrician???

step up to the plate, loud-mouth

hey bud... I've been doing electrical for 23 years come next month... I am the top electrician at construction sites... wanna get in my face some more???

wanna mess with a construction electrician???

step up to the plate, loud-mouth

You need to smoke a bowl and calm down.

I don't want to step on your toes, but running a new circuit is not rocket science. Anyone with average mechanical ability who can read and follow directions can run a new circuit.

ya... and then when a licenced electrician comes along, they fix what you poeple who don't know how to do it correctly have done... if it's so easy, then why do people like me have to go to school for numerous years?

why not then, is EVERYONE a licenced electrician?

hey... you need a triple bypass?... I'll do it... I know how to follow directions...

I REST MY CASE

I can't tell you how many times I have looked at pictures of people's grow setups... and LAUGHED thinking... "I'm surprised they haven't killed themselves yet"...

90% of the poeple here think they are "safe"... just cuz it works, does not mean it's correct.

go ahead and do your thing... I DON'T CARE

I just feel sad for the people who's lives all you people endanger... especially THE CHILDREN

some of you people... I would beat the crap out of if I ever met you for endangering your families... and I know you are just by the pictures that I see.

but... of course... if I was an inspector, or someone that DID care... I wouldn't be here in the first place, would I?

if anyone here DOES have a concern for their families... get ahold of me and I can go over yer setup and let you know how you could improve it to make it safe, if it is not... by the National Electrical Code (American), or the Canadian Electrical Code (which is stricter, btw)

you need to shut yer trap, Hemp Goddess... R U an electrician???

ya... and then when a licenced electrician comes along, they fix what you poeple who don't know how to do it correctly have done... if it's so easy, then why do people like me have to go to school for numerous years?

why not then, is EVERYONE a licenced electrician?

hey... you need a triple bypass?... I'll do it... I know how to follow directions...

I REST MY CASE

Because being a licensed electrician is way more than running simple circuits. You do not need to be a licensed tradesman to do some of the simpler tasks that tradespeople do.

Understand that I am a construction tradesman, too--a master who also went to school for numerous years to first become a journeyman and then a master. However, there are many jobs that I do that can be done by people with average mechanical ability. But what makes me a master at my trade is the things that I can do that the ordinary person cannot not do and the things that I know that the average person does not know.

The triple bypass being compared to running an electrical circuit does not even merit a reply--you know they are not even close to the same thing. Let's share a bowl....

granted... this IS something that the "average" person can do... BUT... it REQUIRES that someone QUALIFIED inspect it to make sure that it is DONE PROPERLY... how many poeple want an inspector to come in and check over their work to make sure their grow setup is wired correctly???

look... I'm sorry for being an azzhole... I've just had a bad few days... and I'm a little...well... a whole lot on edge... excuse my attitude... I just DO NOT LIKE people thinking they are right when they are not... there are standards in my trade, not just because, but for SAFETY reasons....

hey bud... I've been doing electrical for 23 years come next month... I am THE TOP electrician at construction sites...

let me guess, union right?

TCVG, get off your high horse. An electrician is simply someone who has learned something, as is the same with all professions. It doesn't make you special or gifted because you have spent more time learning about that one thing than most others have. ANYBODY can be an amazing electrician, mechanic, mathematician if they have the will to learn what it takes to be one.

If you cared about helping people, you would inform them on the necessary steps to take to insure they don't get hurt and actually TEACH them something rather than acting like you have some kind of talent that others don't have, or telling them to instead of learn something new let someone else do it for them.

When you wire something up yourself, you do a series of steps to do the job correctly, right? The couple minutes it would take to tell a person how to do the job correctly would turn that person from an amateur to a person who would be able to do the job exactly the same as you would.

Latest posts

Back