Need Help With Ventilation For Apartment!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchashow

Reaction score
i need help with venting my 3' x 8' foot area in my apartment. i cant drill holes in the walls to vent my area. i can drill holes in the closet doors where i will growing for intake and outtake air but i dont know if that will be enough. can sumbody help me with how i should vent my grow area and watt kind of fans i should use? should have a fan blowing directly on my grow as well as having the intake and outtake air flow? will this be enough? i know its a lot of questions but im a first time grower and i really need help. o and i will be having 2 600 watt lights.

probably not the best idea to grow in apartment, or even any place that you are renting from for that matter. they legally have the right to come in that apartment at any time with or with out your consent whether you are there or not.now thats not something i would want to deal with or risk. But since you are doin that it sounds like you should be good on your vents. i wouldnt use any fan smaller than 500 cfm especially considering your in an apartment and make sure you use a carbon scrubber of some sort, it will deftinatley smell. And its gonna heat up pretty good with two 600 w in the there. How tall is the grow area by the way? remember let your intake come out somehwere low in your gro space and vent up towards the top of the room. Remember hot air rises.

:yeahthat:

a long time ago my buddy had this apartment. well, we got pretty drunk and used up 17 cans of spray paint in there.....walls, ceiling, toilet....everything. a few days later my buddy's in the shower and just hears some lady scream. so he gets out. turns out the apt. manager decided to do a walk through. so he gave her a walk through of all the cool stuff we did. the hallway was all blue with gold stars on the ceiling....anyways, i helped him repaint it.

if you are comfortable growing in that situation with YEARS of your life on the line (i'm guessin you're in the US) then more power to ya. are you plann' on air cooling the lights? with 1200 watts i'd think it'd be worth the investment. good luck to ya!!

A few snapshots to the area would help.

Does the apartment have central air?

It's going to stink like someone is growing pot. If you build a carbon scrubber you still need to vent that somewhere. If you don't run into any problems with heat(but in reality 2 600w will be HOT) and have plenty of fresh air coming in, the plants should be alright but like I said that smell has to go somewhere, preferably not into your neighbors units. I would be scared to do a proper grow in an apartment. If your in the US spring is right around the corner, maybe start scouting for guerrilla spots... Just my $0.02.

The risk you're taking is out of scale with the rewards.

As the other poster said, there is no way to compensate for the fact that your landlord can come in and check every square inch of your apartment, any time he/she wishes to.

You can, however, build or buy a very large piece of furniture and convert it to a grow space using carbon scrubbers. It would be expensive to set up, but would eventually pay for itself. It could be set up to clean it's own air and route the outgoing air through the wall using one hole behind the cabinet that you would have to fix later.

It might be better to find a landlord who already likes pot. Ask around. They're out there. I'm one.

Are you just growing your own or are you setting up to sell? Two 600's will make a lot of pot.

POTUS said:
It might be better to find a landlord who already likes pot. Ask around. They're out there. I'm one.
Ask your potential landlord if they are okay with illegal activity???? Wow, that's something I would never even remotely consider. Then again, I wouldn't ever grow in a rented house/apartment anyway.

TheEnhancementSmoker said:
Ask your potential landlord if they are okay with illegal activity???? Wow, that's something I would never even remotely consider. Then again, I wouldn't ever grow in a rented house/apartment anyway.
Yer such a kidder.

No, not directly. A local hangout is a good place to start. Ask friends. Having the brain turned on is the first step. Anyone who did as you suggest wouldn't fit that category.

bluealein56 said:
... probably not the best idea to grow in apartment, or even any place that you are renting from for that matter. they legally have the right to come in that apartment at any time with or with out your consent whether you are there or not....

not that it matters, but that isnt true what so ever. ALL landlords must give 24 hrs notice (with confirmed acquisition of notice) before entering the premises, at which time they have full and total access, unless you do not have a legal rental agreement and your buddy owns the building... but then who cares!

I mean still, no matter what, it is still a bad idea to grow anything in an apartment... but you could do this micro growing I have just started reading about... probably pretty stealthily. I can just picture a little "carry on" sized unit for micro growing... size of a suitcase that could do the job very well...:rolleyes:

...and really, how much are you trying to get?

I have 2 600's and 2 400's here, that can get me more than a few pounds...

what do you need all that weight for? in an apartment?

I have seen some really, really crazy setups in my time so far. One was a five 600w setup in the master bedroom in a townhouse. They grew Cindy (hmmmm) which smells more like must than weed, but still not only did the supply THREE clubs with enough sativa to last them half a year out of ONE harvest...thats a lotta dank man.

If your going to grow in an apartment I recommend you don't get anything bigger than 2 400's or 1 600. Anything else will make everything WAAAY too complicated and expensive.

We had to vent into the Central air system, while bypassing the vent from the room to the heater into a carbon scrubber, air was pushed out the room this way. Fresh air was brought in through the frnt window by a Can Fan, which are pretty quiet.

Good luck bro, hope you don't get busted and we don't read about it from the news.

I have to agree with curious cat here, landlords legally need to give 24 hours notice before a visit. Well, they do in the UK anyway.

I answer to one of your questions tchashow, yes if I were you I would have fans on the plants as well as intake and outtake, it helps to keep the air circulating in there and also strengthens up the plants main stem when they are younger and through their life. I also find that when my fan is on the smell just outside the grow area is much much less.

I totally agree with potus... I would not risk a big grow like that in a rented place as you will not be able to control the stench of weed at all with that much pot and that amount of watts. You should definately look at buying a good wardrobe/cupboard or something and having a good stealth setup. Check around there's a LOT of closet grows on the forum :)

Also, are you using HPS or MH or both?

Frankly, I would never grow in an apt for the reasons mentioned above. How about renting a lockup garage instead, under a false name of course?

leafminer said:
Frankly, I would never grow in an apt for the reasons mentioned above. How about renting a lockup garage instead, under a false name of course?
They get busted fast. power usage gets em every time ;)

curiouscat420 said:
not that it matters, but that isnt true what so ever. ALL landlords must give 24 hrs notice (with confirmed acquisition of notice) before entering the premises, at which time they have full and total access, unless you do not have a legal rental agreement and your buddy owns the building... but then who cares!
For non-emergency visits, yes. However, if there is a fire or your water heater is leaking on the tenants below, expect them to come right in, and be fully legally compliant in the process.

I have grown several crops in my small apt, with another roommate there, running a 1000W and 400W, plus floros, so it is definitely possible.

However I would recommend just using 1 1000W lamp. Each circuit in your apt is probably 15 amps max. A 1000W lamp @ 120VAC will draw 9 amps, adding fans, pumps, etc will bring you to around 12 amps (the max load safe for a 15 amp circuit). With more than 1000W extension cords will be running everywhere.

If i were in your situation I would use a 1000W with a 6'' aircooled hood in a bedroom. It should take a 5x5x8 area to fit everything. Seal your grow area with plywood or drywall and use 6'' ducting for a passive intake from outside. Use 6'' ducting and 6'' inline fan to draw hot air from the hood, pass it though a carbon filter and vent outside. As long as the intake air isnt too hot, this will keep heat down, get fresh air to the plants and eliminate all odors if the grow area is completely sealed. Also have an oscillating fan blowing over the top of the plants.

In any case, you have 24 hrs to get rid of everything should the landlord need to enter. And never ask for permission to grow or tell anyone about it - what they dont know dont hurt them.

good luck!

well im planning on doing a 10 plant dwc recirculating system. and i was considering on 1 1000 watt light but some experienced people said that i would get more even coverage with 2 400watt lights but 2 600 watts would be better (like provide the correct amount of lumens to cover my area) and they said that a 1000 watt would burn more electricity than both of my 600 watt digital ballasts. i understand the risks of growing in an apartment but my friend has been living in the same apartment for 2 years and they always give you notice b4 coming in and i have a lock on my grow room and my friend says that they never come in the bedrooms unless it has a bathroom in that bedroom. o and im not growing 2 sell. im growing for my self and i smoke bunches of mary j so if i do managed to get an ounce per plant i will only have 10 ounces and 10 ounces can be used by me in a matter of 6 months.

tchashow said:
well im planning on doing a 10 plant dwc recirculating system. and i was considering on 1 1000 watt light but some experienced people said that i would get more even coverage with 2 400watt lights but 2 600 watts would be better (like provide the correct amount of lumens to cover my area) and they said that a 1000 watt would burn more electricity than both of my 600 watt digital ballasts.

if you only have a 3x8 space then two 600's are better, but the 240V 1000W lumatek electronic ballasts i use put out more lumens per watt, and use less electricity than any other ballasts i have used (magnetic and multi-tap). If hoods are air cooled, 1000W can be hung 12'' over plant canopy to efficiently use the light. I use a 1000W for each 4'x4' area with 18 plants so i get 62 watts per sq ft (50w/sq ft is fine, 60w/sq ft is optimal if using supplemental Co2)

curiouscat420 said:

I mean still, no matter what, it is still a bad idea to grow anything in an apartment... but you could do this micro growing I have just started reading about... probably pretty stealthily. I can just picture a little "carry on" sized unit for micro growing... size of a suitcase that could do the job very well...:rolleyes:
you are sadly mistaken. i have seen it happen, heard of it happening, and it happened to me a couple years back when i was gettting out of the shower. nice little surprise for maintanence people. but no use in arguing over legalities. we know it can and will happen. I mean come on, growing is illegal and were all still doin it.

lets see............... 6months worth of mj or 6 to 24 months in federal prison on a felony charge. Trust me there not gonna let you take your 10 ounces to prison with you.think i would be safe and wait till ya have your own place. Come on think... and honestly answer this one question for me here and now..............Is 10 ounces of some bud worth risking your freedom.
Where im at i have nothing to worry about so there is no risk for me anymore...thats cause i was smart and patient and i waited.

Latest posts

Back