New grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alistair

Reaction score
I just planted some germinated seeds into Foxfarm Ocean Forest soil in 20 ounce styrofoam cups. I've added nothing to this mix, just Ocean Forest soil, as is. After the seedlings fill out the 20 ounce cups I intend to transplant into 2 gallon containers. I imagine they should be about three weeks old or so by the time I transplant. Some people add bloodmeal, bone meal, and potash (among other things) to their soil before transplanting. Foxfarm soil already contains earthworm castings, bat guano, fish, and crab meal, plus other stuff that provides N, P, and K. If I add bloodmeal, bone meal, and potash to this mix when transplanting what should be three week old plants, will it be too much for the young plants? In other words, I don't want to add bloodmeal if it will cause burning because of of too much nitrogen, for example. This sounds like a good plan to me, but since I'm inexperienced and unsure, I would appreciate some expert advise.

Thanks,

Alistair

Good morning Alistair Y.
If It Where Me:
I'd add a little perlite to the mix.
then in about two weeks after transplant start using and making tea with those ingrediants (organic potash source of course) and Earth Worm Castings.
Earth Worm Castings and Dolomite Lime (in small amounts) I would add to the soil (per foot:two cups EWC and two tbls. dolomite lime). and use thoughout the grow (no blood during flower)
Or get some mulch (bagged or homemade), mix with ferts and topdress then water-in.
don't use much Blood Meal myself, powerful stuff though so go very easy on it whatever you do.

Good luck on the grow man. Also don't forget to poke holes in teh bottom of your cup so teh water can drain. Other then that everything sounds good. Post up spme pics of your babies when you get a chance.

Thanks Bigbuds. Yeah, I've got five holes in each cup. Now, my next challenge is to figure out when these little ones need more water. Normally if the soil is dry two inches below the surface then it's time to water again, but in such small cups (20 ounces) it's hard to stick a finger into the soil without disturbing the seedlings. I guess I could stick a toothpick down about 2 inches into the soil and see if it looks wet, but I've stuck the toothpick into the soil through one of the 5 holes at the bottom and I can't tell by looking at it whether it is wet or not. However, I know that the soil must still be plenty wet because 2 days ago when they first sprouted the soil was throughly wet throughout the cup. I want these sprouts to send roots way down to the bottom in search of water before watering again. I'll have to do a bit of guessing regarding when to water them again.

Organick I'm somewhat confused about your advise. In one sentence it seems as though you're suggesting that I make a tea out of the potash and EWC, and then in the next sentence it seems as though I should mix EWC into the soil as well as dolomite lime. From what I've been reading lime should be mixed into the soil before transplanting. Could you please clarify what you meant for me?

Thanks,

Alisrair

I go by weight of the small container when i have small plants. Soil when dry is pretty lite, and i myself dont like to let the soil get so dry that it is real lite. Those roots want to be at the very least a little wet. Dont want to dry those root tips out. But then on the other hand, dont want to drown them (which you wont if you have those drain holes). Good luck, i am sure you will do fine with the new plants. I start with Fox Farm Ocean also. Bet the lil plants will be real happy to start their life in such nice soil.
Good Growing

Thanks Tcbud. So far no one has said anything about adding bone meal to the transplant mix. As of now the advise is to not mix in bloodmeal. So, I will not mix bloodmeal into the soil. I guess I won't be mixing in potash either. Besides potash can be used as a tea.

Sorry enjoying the day off and the latest med harvest. Not the clearest.
I see in another thread you have Dr. Earth if this is so mix lightly with fox farm and perlit (the extra perlite is worth it) and for your second transplant as much as the insructions say. For your last transplan, wich should take you into flower, pump it up a little and do teas increasing in strength throughoutt the grow.
The plant, when it is transplanted into a new pot uses less fertilezer than when it is about to transplanted out of that pot. It needs the nutrients most when it goes into flower, the plant is going to stay in that pot for more than two months (my grow they were in their "flower pots" for four months, 1 veg and 3 flower). Some nurients will be along for the ride but not in the balance or the amounts you need them for healthy bud. Good bud needs more food as it grows, someone has to add it, that's our job, we are growers.
Dolomite lime added to the tea keeps PH buffered. IMO dolomite lime needs to be added until the last month or longer. I add a pinch (1/16 tspn.) or two with a gallon of tea
My pizza just got here but I'll check the stickys on this forum and get back to this.

Actually Organik, I don't have Dr. Earth; I was merely thinking about using it and wanted other's opinion on the stuff. Lately all I've been doing is reading this book I bought and asking a lot of questions so I can take the advice I feel suits my needs the most and putting together a plan.

Thanks man, I appreciate your help,

Alistair

PS. People keep asking me to send pics. I still don't have a camera (besides my cell phone camera), but if I get one, or borrow one I will most certainly share some pics with people. However, for the time being I have no camera.

"IMO".. FFOF has sufficient nutrients for your plants for a minimum of 3 weeks. Then you can slowly start adding some teas or organic nutrients.
It contains 'oyster shell' for mg and ph blance, but "I" still like to amend with 1 TBLSP p/gal of soil, along with 10-15% perlite for drainage.

Latest posts

Back