Newbie Grow Journal - Kitten Power!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChatNoir

Reaction score
It has been two years since my last attempt and now I am more careful about growing, although I did not try again in two years time I tried to do my homework by researching.

Aim: I do not aim for exceptional yield, not even avarage one, my aim is solely establish a working grow room and ensure the next generation.

Seeds: I still don't have them, though one of them has arrived at my proxy which are unknown bag-seeds, there is another strain which is only known to be 100% sativa with only a few seeds and maybe some skunk seeds though these can wait.

Set Up:

Current
  • I have 2x2x2,5 room, flat white walls, ceiling and ground.
  • 5x 30W Compact Fluorescent Lamps with 1650 Lumens.
  • Plastic Glasses
  • 15-10-15 and 12-15-12 Nutrient Mixtures (both contain micro elements as well)
  • 2x Case Fans
  • 3 litres of standard gardening soil.
  • Portable Propane Burner.
  • Reflector with 3x 30W Compact Fluorescent Lamps Attached.
  • 5x 1 litre pots.
  • 12V DC Adaptor
In Progress
  • 12 Litre Pots and 6 litre pots
  • 12x more CF Lamps
  • If possible another closet for flowering.
  • White paint, disinfectants and some other things which are not that vital.

Plan: I am planning to get seeds germinated (If I happen to have more than one strain in different dishes.) then transfer them to plastic glasses. Plants will be kept under 7/24 light after they pop out of soil. When they come of an age, they will be transfered to coke bottles which are covered to keep light away from roots and finally the best plants will be transfered to pots where the rest will be kept as experimental crop. The remaining healthy plants will be selectively pollinated, and ensure the next generation.

WW001

I shall update journal as I make progress.

July, 30th. 2008
  • Last Exile seems to having over watering issues, I had to guess that raising reflector will cause water to evaporate slower than usual, I will keep plants dry for a period of a day and in mean while I will make another reflector which carries as a fan on it as well. I have also carried it under double bulbs to help water evaporate faster.
  • First Born has lost all his first set of true leafs and losing embryonic leafs, I have to be lucky that second set of true leafs seems to be unaffected by previous head issue.
  • Powder has grown big second set of true leafs, heat burn seems to be minor as it is growing leafs quickly.
  • Long Root is about to die, I guess having a longer root shot sucked it's energy and left him unable to break the seed shell, it has deformed leafs and they are slowly dying... I shouldn't have left him in wet towel longer...
  • LUCKY day! It is a lot more cooler today, coolest at 15 Celsius, I feel less worried about heat and already planning to retrofit reflectors.

July, 29th. 2008
  • First Born, who is under double bulb part of reflector has a major leaf damage, lost it's first pair of true leafs. I am hoping that it will revert back to a health state.
  • Luck, who is under double bulb has a minor damage, lost half of the first true leafs though damage seems stopped progressing.
  • Powder, who is under double bulb has a slight leaf damage, it has yellowish leafs though leafs are wide and growing fast.
  • Last Exile, who is under single bulb part of reflector has no damage and healthiest plant so far, it is thriving, it has no heat stress symptoms.
  • Long Root, who is under single bulb has deformed leafs from the beginning, it's progress is slow but steady, it has no damage beside deformity.
  • Bad news is, ZZ and Zen are no more... They failed to germinate properly and I believe I am the one to blame...
  • Distance between the tips of the plans and tips of the lamps are 9cm and I have placed a metal container filled with ice just below the intake fan, I am hoping to lower the effects of heat stress.
  • Babies have been watered this midday after their soil has dried almost completely, I hope I will avoid over watering them.

July, 27th. 2008
  • First Born, Long Root, Last Exile, Luck and Powder has made a great progress. Long Root has started to develop second set of true leaves, Powder and Luck also has good set of leaves though Last Exile has misshapen leaves as well as Long Root has yet to open up it's embryonic leaves...
  • Watering became an issue as plastic cups tend to dry faster than I have expected, I am watering them once a day to ensure their growth, I use boiled and cooled water for watering.
  • Distance between the tip of lamp and plants is 3cm, the closer is the better. I can hold my hand very close to lamps and I do not get burned, not even have an uncomfortable feeling so closer is the better...

July, 25th. 2008
  • SB001 and SB005 sprouted, SB001 has a full sprout and SB005 is about to sprout fully, SB003 is still trying to break through and raise its head. Lesson learned from this incidence is, keep plants in wet paper towel more than 24 hours even though they have root shoots after 12 hours.
  • Since I start to have sprouts, I turned on the lights, current light distance is 25cm and luminosity is 4950lm/ft².

July, 24th. 2008
  • I have sowed three other seeds who had developed root shoots, there is one seed left and I am planning to throw it away. I named them "Long Root", "Zen" and "Last Exile".

July, 23rd. 2008
  • I have cleaned my grow cabinet, stashed the equipment into cardboard boxes.
  • I have finished drilling holes and wiring of fans, they cause a little humming but nothing I can not live with. Everything seems to be finished, I can hang up the second reflector as soon as I have the need to use it.
  • I have cleaned my grow cabinet with bleach, in order to ensure hygiene.
  • To my surprise, five of eight seeds have cracked, three of them had developed root shoots, since I have prepared four plastic cubs I took four cracked seeds and sow them today. I named them "Firstborn, Zz, Powder and Lucky". I have filled cups with soil and added a lot of water, after excess water drained I drilled holes and placed seeds gently, covered them with a little soil. My fingers are crossed and lights are on for them so they can enjoy light as soon as they are out of soil.

July, 22nd. 2008
  • I could not resist the temptation to lay seeds on wet towels so I laid them in wet towel and covered it with stretch film, I have drilled a few holes to the film in order to ensure air circulation.
July, 20th. 2008
  • Using my trip as an excuse, I have meet up my proxy and got my seeds. They are sativa seeds which is the only common kind in Turkey. They are bag seeds though there are plenty of seeds so I consider myself lucky.

June, 24th. 2008
  • I have bought a 12V DC Adaptor and tested my fans, they work finely. I will finish the writing and assembly in following days. Case fans do not carry as much air as I expected but I believe they will be adequate.

June, 17th. 2008
  • I have given up hope on the new seeds as well. I will not use remaining two years old seeds.
  • I have completed my reflector, shedding light to 1,5 feet area with 3x30W Compact Fluorescent Lamps

June, 12th. 2008
  • I have given up hope on previous seeds, I have added some more seeds into a tin can and closed the lid aluminium foil after placing paper towels and creating a fine environment. Placed the can on external hard disk. We shall see.

June, 08th 2008
  • I have bought equipments in order to do the bulk work.
  • I have bought light bulbs, cable, screws, rope and such components.
  • I have set up the main electric current, drilled holes for intake and exhaust fans.
  • I have crafted the main component of the reflectors from some unused wooden plates.
  • I have shot some photographs of the progress in order to post them in a later date as a tutorial.
  • I have postponed the idea of making a closet, instead I cleaned out an unused one, set up the main ingredients though it is far from complete. I will be using a 120x50x150cm closet or 3x2x5~ feet. It needs a looot of work.

May, 31st 2008
  • I have bought two case fans, they are small, they look cheap yet I believe their combined power will keep my babies fresh and thriving.

May, 30th 2008
  • I have acquired 3 litres of soil and stashed it to my would-be grow room.
  • I have laid the seeds I have found in the house into a moist bed to get germinated. Seeds are low quality bag-seeds, I am not even sure if I they'll germinate or not...

May, 25th 2008
  • I cleaned the room, just took the garbage and what not, cleaned it on the surface, I will be doing the microbial cleaning as soon as possible.

CRW_2647_JFR.jpg

CRW_2648_JFR.jpg

CRW_2649_JFR.jpg

CRW_2650_JFR.jpg

CRW_2651_JFR.jpg

CRW_2652_JFR.jpg

I didn't see anything about exhast or ventilation, I'm almost done my first grow and grossly underestimated my ventilation requirements. Lucky the strain I grew didn't care but trust me it is much easier to take care of this before growing than mid grow. Do your prep work and you'll save yourself a lot of pain and headaches. Other than that good luck man I'll be checking in on ya :p

all sounds good but listen to tater! he's right about venting, things can really heat up! + the plants need lots of fresh air!

Tater said:
I didn't see anything about exhast or ventilation, I'm almost done my first grow and grossly underestimated my ventilation requirements. Lucky the strain I grew didn't care but trust me it is much easier to take care of this before growing than mid grow. Do your prep work and you'll save yourself a lot of pain and headaches. Other than that good luck man I'll be checking in on ya :p

Thanks for the advice mate, added a computer fan (a CPU fan to be exact) to the equipment to buy list. Now time to wait a little more and get them according to the urgenty.

Sounds good, if you want to run a cpu fan their is a diy article in the forums on how to wire one to an ac adapter, or you could always hook it up to a 9v battery.

Sounds pretty good. Definitely get some good ventilation going. The plants must have fresh air. Also, the more light, the better. One more thing, clear pots are no good to grow in. Roots need the darkness to grow and function properly. Just my thoughts. Keep us posted on your progress. Take care and be safe.

New progress recorded, in the first message of course.

After 9 days, none of the seeds (around 20) germinated... After waiting two years in my closet, I guess they are dead... I will give them a few hopeless days and if they germinate, they'll be planted or else, they'll be trash... Ah, method... paper towels and water.

sounds pretty good, alot like my setup in my closet i lucked out theirs a exaost ac vent already in their try seein if any ure closets already got this... or keep closet door open if not... goodluck

Intake and exhaust holes are drilled, main electric current set up, there are much more work ahead of me, estimated cost of this grow room is 60$ which is fine for now. I will be using 60x1650 lumen CFLs, two case fan as exhaust and intake, whole closet is flat white but it needs some painting still... I am pretty tired but I feel somewhat content that I have made progress, even though my seeds are dead, I can wait to get new seeds...

Yeah man, sounds like you are on the path now. I sure wish I had gone and done it your way. But then again no better way to learn than to jump right in, even though it cost me a lot more in the long run. Good luck.

Tater said:
Yeah man, sounds like you are on the path now. I sure wish I had gone and done it your way. But then again no better way to learn than to jump right in, even though it cost me a lot more in the long run. Good luck.

Thanks to the advices, I am hoping not to have any problem with the air circulation. Intake hole drilled on the bottom left close the edge and exhaust drilled on top right close to the wall. My space is very small like 5 feet in height, 3~ feet in width and 1,5 feet in depth. The air circulation will create a slight breeze as well, or I just hope so...

"hey cornellius why dont ya navigate yaself to tha back of tha line wit ya shoes and stand there wit ya shirt"

lol sorry.. family guy.. love that show

I have made one reflector, salvaged it from my previous failure. I need to mount and wire fans and wait for the new seeds which are both recent and healthy.

melissa said:
goodluck cornellius in your new adventure:watchplant:

Thanks, it is truly an adventure for me! Problem solving, making designs, my first serious attempt and second attempt at growing. Next issue will be ventilation and light leakage.

gettinggray1964 said:
good luck dude sounds like you are on the right path. you will have buds before you know it.

I hope so mate, I will use all I learned in this grow and see if I can make it or not... Trial and error, and mostly, error... =)

Good luck, I hope you get more seeds too. You sound like a man with a plan though, that's good.

Latest posts

Back