Newbie Grow Journal - Kitten Power!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DC adaptor has been bought and tested, I am almost complete, still checking lights making calculations, I may use tube fluorescents, 10 of them will give enough light with needed density. I have been planning and thinking.

But there is no sense crying over every mistake, you must go on trying till you run out of cake and the science gets done and you make a neat gun for the people still alive...

I have added my progress report to the first post, also pictures included!

looking good so far cornellius, your in turkey? dont they cut off your go-dads for this stuff over there? you must have big ones man.
puff

puffnstuff said:
looking good so far cornellius, your in turkey? dont they cut off your go-dads for this stuff over there? you must have big ones man.
puff

They don't, the disease of the age is ignorance in here... They even mix fan leaves with the buds, some people smoke moldy buds and such things... It is the lack of education. It works both ways though...

Cornellius said:
After 9 days, none of the seeds (around 20) germinated... After waiting two years in my closet, I guess they are dead... I will give them a few hopeless days and if they germinate, they'll be planted or else, they'll be trash... Ah, method... paper towels and water.

Don't give up on them just throw them into a bucket of soil and keep it moist and see what happens !
I am doing that with some hopeless seeds too and still kinda hopen still..

Flyinghigh said:
Don't give up on them just throw them into a bucket of soil and keep it moist and see what happens !
I am doing that with some hopeless seeds too and still kinda hopen still..
Too late mate... Check out the date of entry... They are long gone after so much effort put in them... The new seeds though, five of eight of them cracked and had a root shoot so I am hopeful.

Photographs added to first post.

July, 25th. 2008
  • SB001 and SB005 sprouted, SB001 has a full sprout and SB005 is about to sprout fully, SB003 is still trying to break through and raise its head. Lesson learned from this incidence is, keep plants in wet paper towel more than 24 hours even though they have root shoots after 12 hours.
  • Since I start to have sprouts, I turned on the lights, current light distance is 25cm and luminosity is 4950lm/ft².

July, 24th. 2008
  • I have sowed three other seeds who had developed root shoots, there is one seed left and I am planning to throw it away. I named them "Long Root", "Zen" and "Last Exile".

July, 23th. 2008
  • I have cleaned my grow cabinet, stashed the equipment into cardboard boxes.
  • I have finished drilling holes and wiring of fans, they cause a little humming but nothing I can not live with. Everything seems to be finished, I can hang up the second reflector as soon as I have the need to use it.
  • I have cleaned my grow cabinet with bleach, in order to ensure hygiene.
  • To my surprise, five of eight seeds have cracked, three of them had developed root shoots, since I have prepared four plastic cubs I took four cracked seeds and sow them today. I named them "Firstborn, Zz, Powder and Lucky". I have filled cups with soil and added a lot of water, after excess water drained I drilled holes and placed seeds gently, covered them with a little soil. My fingers are crossed and lights are on for them so they can enjoy light as soon as they are out of soil.

July, 27th. 2008
  • First Born, Long Root, Last Exile, Luck and Powder has made a great progress. Long Root has started to develop second set of true leaves, Powder and Luck also has good set of leaves though Last Exile has misshapen leaves as well as Long Root has yet to open up it's embryonic leaves...
  • Watering became an issue as plastic cups tend to dry faster than I have expected, I am watering them once a day to ensure their growth, I use boiled and cooled water for watering.
  • Distance between the tip of lamp and plants is 3cm, the closer is the better. I can hold my hand very close to lamps and I do not get burned, not even have an uncomfortable feeling so closer is the better...

akirahz said:
More pics :) - looking good as far as i know

I'll be shooting more tomorrow, with the help of a macro lens, very close up shots...

July, 29th. 2008
  • First Born, who is under double bulb part of reflector has a major leaf damage, lost it's first pair of true leafs. I am hoping that it will revert back to a health state.
  • Luck, who is under double bulb has a minor damage, lost half of the first true leafs though damage seems stopped progressing.
  • Powder, who is under double bulb has a slight leaf damage, it has yellowish leafs though leafs are wide and growing fast.
  • Last Exile, who is under single bulb part of reflector has no damage and healthiest plant so far, it is thriving, it has no heat stress symptoms.
  • Long Root, who is under single bulb has deformed leafs from the beginning, it's progress is slow but steady, it has no damage beside deformity.
  • Bad news is, ZZ and Zen are no more... They failed to germinate properly and I believe I am the one to blame...
  • Distance between the tips of the plans and tips of the lamps are 9cm and I have placed a metal container filled with ice just below the intake fan, I am hoping to lower the effects of heat stress.
  • Babies have been watered this midday after their soil has dried almost completely, I hope I will avoid over watering them.

July, 30th. 2008
Last Exile seems to having over watering issues, I had to guess that raising reflector will cause water to evaporate slower than usual, I will keep plants dry for a period of a day and in mean while I will make another reflector which carries as a fan on it as well. I have also carried it under double bulbs to help water evaporate faster.
First Born has lost all his first set of true leafs and losing embryonic leafs, I have to be lucky that second set of true leafs seems to be unaffected by previous head issue.
Powder has grown big second set of true leafs, heat burn seems to be minor as it is growing leafs quickly.
Long Root is about to die, I guess having a longer root shot sucked it's energy and left him unable to break the seed shell, it has deformed leafs and they are slowly dying... I shouldn't have left him in wet towel longer...
LUCKY day! It is a lot more cooler today, coolest at 15 Celsius, I feel less worried about heat and already planning to retrofit reflectors.

July, 30th. 2008
Last Exile seems to having over watering issues, I had to guess that raising reflector will cause water to evaporate slower than usual, I will keep plants dry for a period of a day and in mean while I will make another reflector which carries as a fan on it as well. I have also carried it under double bulbs to help water evaporate faster.
First Born has lost all his first set of true leafs and losing embryonic leafs, I have to be lucky that second set of true leafs seems to be unaffected by previous head issue.
Powder has grown big second set of true leafs, heat burn seems to be minor as it is growing leafs quickly.
Long Root is about to die, I guess having a longer root shot sucked it's energy and left him unable to break the seed shell, it has deformed leafs and they are slowly dying... I shouldn't have left him in wet towel longer...
LUCKY day! It is a lot more cooler today, coolest at 15 Celsius, I feel less worried about heat and already planning to retrofit reflectors.

Latest posts

Back