ODOR differences between lights (or growth)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md.apothecary

Art is Resistance!
Reaction score
I wanted to chime in on something I discovered accidentally.

When I was growing under CFLs, I never (NEVER!) had odor during veg mode, or flower mode for that matter. However, I placed some plants (moved from 6500K CFLs) to a 150w hps and within 2 days an odor is starting to creep in.

The plants were NOT growing vigorously under the CFLs so I plut them under the HPS for the same 18/6 cycle. So...

This leads me to believe that odor depends on either the LIGHTING used, or how VIGOUROUSLY the plants are growing. Can anyone confirm this?? If this has been discussed... kewl, chime in anyway!

i think its light intensity. i had no odor for 5 months under cfl. but i grew a couple plants long ago under a 250 watt halide and they stunk up the entire basement. but im not sure why?? good note man!

I am going to disagree here. IMO the odor becomes more dominate as the plant progresses in size and age. I have noticed in warmer temps the smell is much more noticeable. Finally I also believe that even in the later stages of the plants growth it will have periods were it does not smell so funky. My disaster stunk under CFL's but when placed under HID under cooler temps not so much.

alienbait touched on this in his thread on leds vs hps. he said that he grew two sets of plants. one under leds and one hps. the led plants weren't flowering well. so he finished both under the hps, but the led plants had no smell. not just when growing or flowering, when smoked as well. i thought it was note worthy, because i believe it is not just light dependent, but wavelength dependent. now it may so happen that it is the same wavelength for vigorous grow. there is still much to learn

yeah I remember that discussion with AB and if I recall, I had mentioned that LEDs might be a good stealth option IF such was the case. But considering this issue, I KNOW it's not the HEAT that is making the effect.

I had 315w total 6500K CFLs in a 2x2x3ft grow box they were in. The box averaged around 84-86 degrees with lights on. Odor not present

They are now in a closet same light cycle, but with a 150w hps 4" over the tops and the average temp is now around 78-83 degrees. Odor is present

It did take 2 days for the odor to appear after moving, so the growth had picked up noticably during this time. So either it's light source related or growth, or both. It could be simply that the plant is processing photosynthesis better than before under this spectrum of light.

ON A SIDE NOTE: 150W hps is only a couple degrees cooler than TWICE as many watts with CFLs and the HPS is in a larger/cooler grow area also. For those who still want to suggest (as far as wattage is concerned) that CFLs are hotter. Of course lumens are better in HPS. :ignore:

to know for sure, the experiment would take many different grows with many different varieties. Could it be genetic? either a dominant or resesive trait? is there a difference with indica vs sativa? lot of good ideas. i would love to write a proposal for government funding for the research. LOL

the more lumens, the more wavelength the more the atoms get excited (similar to a microwave) causing more odor. its friction (heat) related.

trillions of atoms said:
the more lumens, the more wavelength the more the atoms get excited (similar to a microwave) causing more odor. its friction (heat) related.
do you have any references that I can read that relates to this, i'd be very interested. my background is in physics. Linear accelerators driven free electron x-ray lasers and subatomic particle physics. my graduate work was in quatum magentism and electron spin resosnance.

IME Ive done CFLs,FLOs, and now HPS and Ive noted that the smell was far greater with the HID than any other light source. This may be in part because of the greater heat built up by the light and ballast combo (HID) raising temps more then the lights (CFLs,FLOs) themselves. Ive also noticed that some smell more than others while growing so I'm thinking that fragrance may be part of the Pheno in a strain, even when 2 plants are the same strain (like now) with my Thai Skunk cross i have one that reeks to high heaven but another (of 3) doesn't, it seems to me that it just depends on what one pops off and gives the plant its own unique appearance/fragrance.

The problem with these theories is that the TEMPS are cooler than they were previously. The temps are cooler even with the ballast within a foot of the plants (if that).

I don't believe it's the heat by any means. The temps never overlap any similarities. With the HPS in the larger area the temps were cooler. Believe me, a 400w HPS in this same grow area would take temps over 100 degrees. That would NOT produce 10x the odor because of the areas temperatures.

However, I still think that HID lighting must put off a much more radiant light that penetrates further into the actual plant. This radiation must do something to the cells and atoms in the plant (as mentioned above), but I don't think it's necessarily based on temps... but possibly as mentioned Friction in the plant.

similar to rubbing the leaves with your fingers, it emits an odor because you're stimulating the resin glands.

a while back i tryed a little hydro exp. under compact fluorescents but my plants stank threw veg and flower. i hand 3-200w cfl bulbs for bouth veg and flower

Latest posts

Back