Overheating Plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffsta

Reaction score
My plants are in their fifth week of flowering. My grow box has been getting over 110* for the past week. The plants were fine then all of a sudden the tops where the colas are, are turning brown. I finally got an ac unit hooked up but some of the plants look like they might die. I have been misting the leaves 5-6 times a day to see if they will come back. Are there any other tricks that might help? I have 20 other plants vegging outside in the direct sun and they are doing fine. What would be the difference? It is over 100 outside also.

ffsta said:
My plants are in their fifth week of flowering. My grow box has been getting over 110* for the past week. The plants were fine then all of a sudden the tops where the colas are, are turning brown. I finally got an ac unit hooked up but some of the plants look like they might die. I have been misting the leaves 5-6 times a day to see if they will come back. Are there any other tricks that might help? I have 20 other plants vegging outside in the direct sun and they are doing fine. What would be the difference? It is over 100 outside also.

I think i'd just cut the affected parts off, yes, colas tops bits and all. If the leaves of the bud itself are burned they won't have the necessary parts left intact to secreate THC. Leave anything that looks like it's not burned alone and it will continue to grow into ripeness without having to direct it's energy into repairing itself.

5 weeks flowering? 110 degrees? sounds like you've turned your grow box into a vape.:eek: ;) ...

if the tops are brown @ 5 weeks flower, they are done for. you will not bring these back at all. sorry. just the way it is.

you can try to remove the dead bud, as sp states, but i doubt it will amount to any substantial bud in 3-4 more weeks.

are you growing in soil? what type of light did this damage?, my guess would be hps. can you put the pots outside in the fresh air? what sort of air flow is in your box?

can you post a pic? maybe we can help you do something.

the air flow is the difference between your outdoor, and your indoor plants ...

Here is what I am growing in.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Gal...check=0&page=1&sortby=&sorttime=0&way=&date=0

The first 6 pictures are from today
I am doing my first grow in a soiless mix. The next batch are vegging outside in the 100* weather with no problems. The grow cabinet is in my basement. It has been hot for several weeks. The plants went crazy overnight. I have trimmed all the bad stuff off. This is only happening with the White Widow grown from feminized seeds. Each WW plant has grown differently. Some look like sticks. Others look like a Christmas tree. Most of the WW are growing terriable. The Mazar plants grown from clones are fine. I have added an air conditioner to the intake fan. This has brought the box down to the 80's. I have a 200 watt CFL and two 400 watt HPS lights going. My climate is dry and hot in the summer.

ffsta said:
Here is what I am growing in.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Gallery/showgallery.php?thumbsonly=0&perpage=25&cat=500&ppuser=16934&thumbcheck=0&page=1&sortby=&sorttime=0&way=&date=0

The first 6 pictures are from today
I am doing my first grow in a soiless mix. The next batch are vegging outside in the 100* weather with no problems. The grow cabinet is in my basement. It has been hot for several weeks. The plants went crazy overnight. I have trimmed all the bad stuff off. This is only happening with the White Widow grown from feminized seeds. Each WW plant has grown differently. Some look like sticks. Others look like a Christmas tree. Most of the WW are growing terriable. The Mazar plants grown from clones are fine. I have added an air conditioner to the intake fan. This has brought the box down to the 80's. I have a 200 watt CFL and two 400 watt HPS lights going. My climate is dry and hot in the summer.

you did a good job trimming the burn off of them, keep growing the decent ones.

The one that is golden yellow and really burned looking, i wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for it; but i would give it more nitrogen (yes, in flower) it kind of resets a plant's clock for some reason, slows actual bud growth down and will delay your flowering period a couple of weeks too, just to see if you can regrow some of the plant itself back into health. Just try feeding it like a plant in veg for a couple of weeks to see if you can repair it is what i'm trying to say. yes, in flower, in 12/12, but with the different nutes, nitrogen heavy. It does work, i have had to do it.

:eek:.:eek:.:eek:.....110º?....:eek:.:eek:.:eek:

Wow... Is your box in the attic? If not, my guess is that your ventilation is really inadequate in your grow box. It's upper 90's with sweltering humidity around here and I use a 1K hps in a cool tube and a 6 lamp, 4' T5 fixture in my 2 x 4 x 8 closet. With a 630cfm fan I'm able to pull the heat off of my grow room and exhaust it into my attic. I also use a window a/c unit to keep the bedroom where the closet is around 72º and my closet stays around 75º-77º when my inline fan is running because it pulls plenty of cool air into the closet from the bedroom through a 4" passive intake and cracks around and under the door.

What kind of fans are you using? :confused:

Peace!:cool:

ffsta said:
It has the 5 stock fans that came with the unit.
hXXp://www.bcnorthernlights.com/manuals/ProducerTech_v5.pdf

It sure looks like a nicely put together box and I can see the fans but they sure aren't handling the heat are they? I wonder if there is anyway to beef up the ventilation with stronger inline fans? Are the 400w bulbs in air cooled hoods or a cool tube? It's really hard to use 2 HID lights in that tight of a space without really strong ventilation fans to pull the heat off the lights imho.

Maybe you can call the manufacturer and see if they have any ideas for you to try. You can't be the first guy to plug in his box and see the temps go through the roof. Since the cab uses CO2 you can get away with elevated temps but over 100º isn't good...

Peace!:cool:

THERE IS ONLY ONE PANE OF GLASS SEPARATING THE LIGHTS FROM THE GROW CABINET. THE LIGHTS JUST SCREW INTO A MOGUL SOCKET. THERE ARE THREE FANS IN THE BACK TOP. ONE FOR EACH LIGHT AND ONE FOR THE BALLAST. THE ONE ON THE LEFT LOOKING INSIDE FROM THE FRONT IS THE AIR INTAKE. I HAVE AN AC UNIT RUNNING STRAIGHT INTO THE CABINET THROUGH THIS INTAKE. THE ONE ON THE RIGHT IS THE EXHAUST WITH A CARBON FILTER. I AM NOT RUNNING CO2 EVEN THOUGH IT IS SET UP FOR IT. WOULD THIS HELP MUCH? SOME PEOPLE I KNOW TOLD ME IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY.
THERE ARE SOME MODIFICATIONS I WANT TO DO WHEN THE CYCLE IS DONE.
I AM GOING TO HAVE A HVAC FRIEND BUILD A LONG EXHAUST PIPE SYSTEM FOR THE THREE EXHAUST FANS IN THE BACK WITH AN EXTRA PUSH FAN AND A PULLER AT THE OTHER END. I WANT TO USE LED'S LIGHTING. (http://www.prosourceworldwide.com/product_p/jumbo ufo 180w.htm) THESE HAVE A 90 DAY WRITTEN GUARANTEE OR YOUR MONEY BACK.
I AM BUILDING A 60 PLANT HYDROPONIC SYSTEM LIKE AERO FLO. (http://www.gchydro.com/AeroFlo+%B2%AE+60+Site+Aeroponics+System.html) MY UNIT WILL BE USING 10' TUBES WITH THE HOLES FARTHER APART AND OFFSET ON EVERY OTHER POST. THIS WILL BE GOING INTO A LARGE INSULATED ROOM THAT WILL BE TEMPERATURE CONTROLLED AND HAVE A WATER CHILLER. I WAS HOPING TO GET AT LEAST 8 OUNCES. THAT'S $3200.00 AND WILL BE ENOUGHT TO FINISH MY ROOM.

Maybe you can call the manufacturer and see if they have any ideas for you to try. You can't be the first guy to plug in his box and see the temps go through the roof. Since the cab uses CO2 you can get away with elevated temps but over 100º isn't good...

Peace!:cool:[/quote]

I called them and was told those fans are plenty big and should do the trick. I was also told to get some CO2 going as this will help with the high temps.

ffsta said:

If you are growing in soil, make sure your water dishes at bottom of pot are filled with water and your plants will be survive heat. Though heat is tolerable if the plant is kept cool with water, if the light is too close then the plant will burn and dry up.

Latest posts

Back