Painted Cardboard Killing Plant????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithgrown

R.I.P. Dime Bag
Reaction score
OK guys heres the story. 2 plants 3 1/2 weeks into flower and doing great. I used black plastic to close off my grow space and of course it suxs the life oout of my lights.(i know i know why black plastic).

so on a whim i decided to spray paint sum cardboard flat white and put it around my plants to help a little. i waited till it was fullydry. prob bout 5 hours after application and stuck it in my room.

well go up this morn to check on my babies and they are drooping like they havent been watered in two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the only thing i can thinkof is the cardboard. fumes maybe????? i just dont know. i removed it and well will c if that helps.

SPRAY paint? Like from an aerosol can?:eek:

How do you think you would feel after being shut into a room for hours breathing toluene fumes? :fid:

I am sorry about this but I feel it is my duty to report you to the Society For The Protection of MJ.

Hey smith...

If you did the spraying in another area and then let them dry for hours... I really don't think there are fumes killing your babies... You've got good air exchange in your area so I really doubt if that's the case... Did you post some pics anywhere of the plants?

Did it brighten up the room? You could always go sell some blood to get a few duckies for Panda film...:eek:

Rock ON, smith!:cool:

I think it is the heat from enclosing the space and not the fumes. Better ventilation should help

thanks for all the info guys. of course i didnt paint the cardboard in my plants growroom!!! come on???? and i didnt enclose them just one side to reflect my side lighting. i have great airflow and my temps are spot on. i took out the cardboard this morning and i shine at 9 so i will check on them then.

maybe you ticked them off by changing up the decor and they revolted?

you do have air flow, right? man, my first indoor grow ever was in a card board box painted white on inside. i still have that box in my shed.:eek: ...

i had no problems similar to yours. it was one of my better grows, with some bomb wh. widow.

i don't quite understand your set up though. hmm. tell me more...

ok i habe a 400w HPS with a cool tube. one end open to the room the other hooked to my inline fan venting out. two 68w CFLs for side lighting. two wally world 8in fans bring fresh air from outside in. i have my room enclosed with black plastic. my plants r in a corner with my side lighting just on one side and my 400 up top. i just painted sum card board and slid it behind my plants to kinda reflect the side lighting a bit. it did brighten up my room but my plants were drooping this morn. maybe the paint was still giving off fumes of some sort and my plants didnt like it. but i have great air exchange so i would think that wasnt a prob. hmmmmmm

It is a little more trouble and mess, but I would recommend using water based paints as much as possible around plants as they are much less likely to give off toxins to your plants.

On the subject of using water based paint around plants, does anyone have any experience with painting interiors of ACTIVE grow rooms with good ventilation?

Of course it is absolutely vital that the plants be protected from drips, splatters or over spray! I personally would NOT use any kind of spray applicators of anything around the plants except for the insecticides, folilar sprays and other things intended to be applied directly to the surface of the plants because it is too hard to control over spray or drift.

Did you do anything else out of the norm? Any new nutes, watering more, any possibilities that you may have contaminated your room (aside from the painted cardboard)? I don't think the painted cardboard is hurting anything unless it is really hot, and getting sticky. Try to think of all the things you did that day. Try and remember if something might have either trickled into your system or something you did that was different. PICS would be great!

HazeMe

hey guys just an update. my plants have perked back up for the most part. the weekest one still looks a bit droopy but shes comming along. this is carzy!!!! i guess that spray paint was still giving off some sort of toxic fumes even hours after painting and my plants didnt like it one bit. anyone else had this prob??? i may leave the cardboard outside for a few days, let my plants fully recover and try again. or not i will probably just break down and buy sum panda film or something. anyway thanks for all them info. thats why this fourm is so great. maybe one day someone else will have the same issue and we can all clear it up real quick for them.... trial and error!!!!!!!!!

happy gowing

On the subject of using water based paint around plants, does anyone have any experience with painting interiors of ACTIVE grow rooms with good ventilation?

Of course it is absolutely vital that the plants be protected from drips, splatters or over spray! I personally would NOT use any kind of spray applicators of anything around the plants except for the insecticides, folilar sprays and other things intended to be applied directly to the surface of the plants because it is too hard to control over spray or drift.

Latest posts

Back