PH DOWN-whats better for soil? Vinegar or sulferic acid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryjanenewbie

Reaction score
I was wondering if the use of vinegar instead of sulfuric acid is better for soil grow. I used vinegar and it lowered the pH great, but the next day the pH was back up. (water was in a plastic gal bottle). What is the issue with using vinegar as pH down in soil? I understand the issue with stability, but is this a big problem in soil? Once you water the soil the water evaporates and the excess drains through the pot.

Hi,

Use distilled white vinegar.... but I do think you should consider ordering some ph up and down for ph adjustments. I do know many use vinegar though... I think maybe that HIE does...?

How are you checking your soil ph? do you have a probe meter or are you measuring runoff?

Happy Growing!:cool:

Vinegar dissapates over time, it also is a favorite of fungus gnats... Use some ph down, the real stuff it works great
hxxp://htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=49554

Im measuring the run off with a Hanna "checker" digital meter. I add 5ml of vinegar to one gal of tap water for a reading of 6.8. Water here is very hard and ph reads 7.8 prior to vinegar.

Mindz, do you grow in soil? what difference does it make if vinegar dissapates if im growing in soil?

Yes I grow in soil, and i started out using vinegar, I had PH problems the entire time I used it.. Then came the fungus gnats, it was a horrible infestation so i began reading about them.. The larva in the soil will eat your plants roots, and guess what thier favorite things in the world are? Vinegar, rotting fruit and beer!

When the vinegar dissipates you are then left with just the water that is not PH balanced so the 7.8 water you have returns to 7.8 and in turn changes the ph of your soil...

I was reading a post in the DIY section. They say that all the PH down is, is sulfuric acid dilutied with water, but with the cost of $20 per gal. and that it is stable

I started with vinegar and now use lemon juice from a bottle (store bought ) Check out my grow in my sig ! One dessrtspoon per 9 ltrs of tap water is perfecto mondo !

maryjanenewbie said:
I was reading a post in the DIY section. They say that all the PH down is, is sulfuric acid dilutied with water, but with the cost of $20 per gal. and that it is stable

Im not sure about that, I know with the my tap water that is 8.5ph I use 1/8 tsp to adjust the water down to 6.8.. I bought a quart for $10 and Ive been using it for a year... I still have 3/4 of the bottle left... Thats the least of my expenses...

If you use pure sulfuric acid you will have to use 1 drop at a time and it may be hard to adjust the water with precision... Also dont spill that stuff at all, it will eat through almost anything except plastic, including your skin!!

Johnny was a chemist's son,
But Johnny is no more.
What Johnny thought was H20 was H2SO4.​

Hi MJ,

My limited knowledge of chemistry isn't much but I do know that sulphuric acid is H2SO4... BATTERY acid! :eek: That's some nasty caustic stuff and even handling it isn't wise without protective clothing, gloves and especially eyewear... Gen Hydro's ph down has a proprietary combination of phosphoric acid, citric acid and mono ammonium phosphate but I'm sure any acid you use would adjust the ph down... even if it ate a hole in the bottom of your pot and through the floor... lol... I just don't think I'd play chemist and try to use anything but an agricultural grade adjuster. Lemon juice also 'works.' The Gen Hydro ph up is a mixture of potassium carbonate, potassium hydroxide and potassium silicate... all plant friendly items.

I dunno the size of your grow but a quart of each will last a long time and you can get both for about $15-25 depending on where you get it. Even with the shipping it won't kill the budget and a quart of each would last years in my small grow. If you grow organically Earth Juice makes a "Natural Up" and "Natural Down" that is friendly for the beneficial microbes and bacteria in your soil...

If you get the good stuff your babies will thank you...

Peace!:cool:

Latest posts

Back