ph down.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobshibby

Reaction score
hi all,i purchased a bottle of PH DOWN(81% PHOSPHORIC ACID) and was wondering if anyone else uses this and if so how much would i need to add to a gallon of water with a ph of 7 so i could get it down to about 5.8.i know its not an exact science on how much but could anyone give me a rough idea i.e a couple of drops,a teaspoon full.my ph tester is busted so im ordering a new one but while im waiting if someone could give me a rough idea i would really appreciate it,cheers.

5.8 ph ,are you sure you want that / I don't do hydro myself but that seems mighty acidic to me.
If you meant 6.8ph Go out and get a wardley ph test kit.
It's not as high tech as a meter but it was good enough for generations before everyone went George Jetsen.
it'll crutch you thru.

hi godtea,i am growing in soil and according to the makers of my plant (greenhouse seeds) they grow this plant (arjan's haze #2)with a ph of 5.8.

I would double check that before I commit to it
I grow in soil and anything I ever grew would have been burned to a crisp at that ph . rhododendron love an acid soil and 5.8 would be pressing the envolope for them.
The stuff we talk about here is not normally considered that acid loving
I could be wrong ,but if I were you I'd ask others on this site first
Good Luck

yeah 5.8 does seem very acidic,i might shoot for 6.5 to give myself a good average,cheers for your replies man.

I went and doubled checked , I have a green house white widow packet and it says a ph of 6.2 is optimal. 5,8 can't be right

5.8 is a good feeding PH. When i water with a 5.8 to 6.2 the plants get nutes it doesn't normally get. When i foliar feed or just water i PH at 6.7 to 7.0. Reverse osmosis. I've only been doing this 3 yrs now and i keep notes on every move i make. You do the same, so next time you can reflect on what works. PH is soooooo important. Use Reverse Osmosis too! I have a meter i paid 60 bucks for,it works great. Or go the old fasion way and get a PH kit with that dropper and i make sure the water color is a urine color. I PH balance after i add nutes. Some nutes change the the PH when added. This is what i have experienced growing in soil . But you are a senior member you should have the PH thing down. That's the most important. Good luck and im sure i didnt tell you anything you havent heard b4.

If you go to youtube and look at greenhouse seeds videos, when they use hydro, they run 5.5-5.8 ph and an EC 1.6 to 1.9 depending on species and stage of growth. And they're results are amazing

yeah almost all the plants greenhouse seeds grow have a ph range from 5.5-5.8 which is very acidic but they should know.i went out and filled a few gallons of fresh stream water and am boiling it at the momment,so i hope it has a nice ph to it when i check it later,cheers for your input guys.

For best results,maintain a pH range of 5.8 and 6.3 for Hydroponics and a range of 6.3 to 6.8 to prevent nutrient lock up and reduce stress on plants.Keep it GREEN:hubba:

i went out and filled a few gallons of fresh stream water and am boiling it at the moment
Really any natural source of water is great for plants.You do have to find the pH level.But,IMHO,you dont have to boil the water.I use lake water that has a pH of 7.Never boiled the water,But I do have a air bubbler in the water.To help put more H2o into the water.Keep it GREEN:hubba:

Latest posts

Back