ph, ppm, is it really important!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"ph" is the most important thing "IMHO", if you aint got that down man-nothing else will follow, and you`ll be fighting lock-outs and other problems all over the place dude.

There is a wealth of info here and in the old Overgrow Faq on these topics. You should do some reading up. Ph and PPM are really important.

The plants are unable to take up nutrients if the ph of the water is off. There are excellent charts that show the uptake of nutes at different ph levels. The PPM is important because you can kill your plants in a matter of hours if the nutes (PPM) is too high. If they are too low, they will probably survive, but will not thrive or produce to their full potential.

It will be worth your time and trouble to learn a little more about the ideal growing conditions and how to achieve them.

4 gallons of distilled water, 1/2 strength nutrients, the p.h. started out at 5, i raised it to 7 after some of my leafs started to turn yellow, and curl up, they seem fine now

pictures 033.JPG

pictures 022.JPG

Ok - i'll start out with a sample chart but know that every grower fine tunes and watches the plants and adjusts accordingly. Some growers double these recommendations, others may halve them or use no nutes at all.

That said - here are some guidelines to get you started:
Week 1 - PPM: 0
Week 2 - PPM: 0-300
Week 3 - PPM: 3-500
Week 4 - PPM: 5-700
Week 5 - PPM: 7-900
Week 6 - PPM: 9-1000
SWITCH TO 12/12 LIGHTING AND BLOOM NUTES (this is just an example you don't have to switch to 12/12 now)
Week 7 - PPM: 3-400 (note the drop after switching nutrients)
Week 8 - PPM: 4-500
Week 9 - PPM: 5-600
Week 10 - PPM: 6-700
Week 11 - PPM: 7-800
Week 12 - PPM: 8-900
Week 13 - PPM: 9-1000
Week 14 - PPM: 10-1100
etc...

You will definitely need a PPM meter and pH meter - both are very important. A little bit of nutes goes a long way (a teaspoon or two of nutes to a gallon of water could easily be 300 PPM).

If the water is not the right pH, the plant will not be able to utilize all the available nutes and become deficient even if the PPM is high!

i run organic nutes. i was told you cant check the ppm?

This is a forum where people help each other and dont talk that kind of crap. Watch it!

(Thank you stunzeed. I've removed the quote and the origional comments. - Stoney)

Latest posts

Back