PH question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STW

Reaction score
I have been adjusting my well water (PH 8.3) down to 6.2 with vinegar.

Many say vinegar works fine, but I just tested my runoff and it tested at 8.4?

I use organic soil..........plants are less then 3 weeks and I have not used any nutes...I would be grateful for any input...

Thanks

Test your well water and dont alter it, then test the run off, this will show you if your soil is altering the PH, if this is the case, you need to change your soil.

I've found vinegar to be a temporary fix. It seems to stop working, or allows ph to drift right back to where it was previously.
I've used abscorbic acid (pure vitamin C) as a substitute for commercial ph down products in soil grows, where it was absolutely nexessary.
Dolomite lime added to you soil mix "before" planting will help buffer the ph AND provides magnesium...
8.4 is HIGH.. exceptionally high IMO.
I would "guess" with the ph, that it is going to be pretty high in mineral contaminates, too. (hard water)
Which can have varied effects on your nutients and their uptake/utilization.

Thanks guys....

I tested water before and after with no vinegar and it was stable. So Hick, I believe you are correct and it is drifting back up. Yes I do have slighty hard water.

What helps with the mineral contaminates on a regular basis?

You guys have been a great help. As a new grower I see there is a lot to learn!

also where does one get abscorbic acid?

I think I got mine at a healfood joint.. in powdered form. and "experiment" before you apply it. It don't take much..;)
as far as mineral contnt.. too much of some things can lock out other things..
too high calcium can lock out magnesium.. ect.

Reactions: STW
Lots of it on ebay and also in health shops.

Ascorbic acid.

:peace:

Reactions: STW
ooops.. thank you for the spelling correction HIE. Will probably make his search much more fruitfull.. :p

You really need to check the ppms of your water if you are using well water. An RO system will take out the dissolved solids, but does little for the pH.

Latest posts

Back