Post Your Home Remedies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojosat

Bad Typists, Untie!!
Reaction score
The wifey has been laid out with a nasty summer cold for the last two days, while I of course played the good husband and waited on her hand and foot, even though it was her day to take our daughter all day today. I tried really hard not to catch it, but have been getting burning sinuses and a scratchy throat since this afternoon and now I can hear it in my voice.

I started taking Zicam every 3 hours and drinking water by the bucket since about 12:30 today, which is my usual regimine for warding off pesky colds, but it seems to be a bad one. I had some Jewish penicillin for dinner and am gonna double up on my pain meds for my back tonight so I get a good nights sleep.

Does anyone have any age old family secrets other than the ones I just listed for shaking a nasty cold quick? I have a meeting with my publisher on Tuesday and need to be at my best.:eek:

"Sweat & C", as my Grandma used to say. Get dressed as tho it is 20 degrees in your house....sweats, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt over it, socks, etc, etc and go to bed that way. Meanwhile, drink TONS of orange juice. Before you go to bed and when you get up tomorrow, take a very long hot bath. You'll be good to go by Tuesday. ;)

"emergen C"

mixed drink of vitamins...very tasty and does wonders.

my wife has horrible horrible allergies, since she started listening to me ;) they have been virtually non existant by eating raw local honey, and drinking raw local milk (god i love raw milk)

seriously raw milk (de-creamed of course) is one of the best things you can ever drink. they say it can change ur health for life just by drinking it once, and DAMN is it good

In central cal we had 19 out breaks of ecoli from pasturized and ultra pasturized milk, where as we have only had 2 from raw milk, just a good piece of info to have :aok: way more likely to contract a stomach bug from pasturized milk thats a mix of thousands of cows milks, compared to one cows raw milk.

Thanks guys. I take a 1000 milligrams a day of Vitamin C anyway. Anymore than that and your just wasting it because your body does not store it. I am kinda of a heavy sweater when I sleep anyway, but did bundle up last night. Felt awfull when I woke up this morning, but after some Zicam, I am feeling on the mend already. Zicam is the miracle cure for colds if you use it properly.

Thanks for th tips guys.. I have never heard of "emergen c" is it a uk product or is it something I can get here?

0b1kinsmokey said:
"emergen C"

mixed drink of vitamins...very tasty and does wonders.

my wife has horrible horrible allergies, since she started listening to me ;) they have been virtually non existant by eating raw local honey, and drinking raw local milk (god i love raw milk)

seriously raw milk (de-creamed of course) is one of the best things you can ever drink. they say it can change ur health for life just by drinking it once, and DAMN is it good

In central cal we had 19 out breaks of ecoli from pasturized and ultra pasturized milk, where as we have only had 2 from raw milk, just a good piece of info to have :aok: way more likely to contract a stomach bug from pasturized milk thats a mix of thousands of cows milks, compared to one cows raw milk.

We drink organic milk, but it's just too risky to drink unpastureized milk or to give to your child when you dont know exactly where it came from IMO. If we had a local source I would be all for it though.

licorice root tea with honey, and if you have chest congestion take a small towel (hand towel or the like) and sit with your face ove the hot tea and the towel over your head to keep the steam in. its a temporary fix, but being able to breathe through your nose with a nasty cold is a rare gift,IMHO :)

the tea itself will help beat the cold back a bit. (the honeys for flavor as licorice root tea tastes like monkey bottoms...not that i have any basis for comparison :p

mojosat said:
We drink organic milk, but it's just too risky to drink unpastureized milk or to give to your child when you dont know exactly where it came from IMO. If we had a local source I would be all for it though.

yea unless u know where its comming from its risky.

we have alot of dairies around here tho, and this one is famous for its organic, free range cows, and omg, that milk is frikin delicous.

i think the sale of raw milk is prohibited in uk. but they have under ground trades and stuff and dairy shows

my son has been drinking raw milk every day for 2 years now (hes 3) and my other son will be drinking it soon hes gunna be 1 soon

but ever since the economy went to sht the milk is 8 dollars a half gallon :eek:

so i dont drink it any more i save it for my boys lol. but i cant bring myself to buy anything else for them, its just too damn good for u

Goat milk is also really good for you. I lived with my grandparents during my childhood and we always drank goats milk. Tastes much better than cows milk. It's expensive to buy but one goat will supply more milk than you could drink. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

no doubt, i love goat milk

and goat cheese (licks lips)

dont even get me started on cheese :D cheese will be the death of me

Have you ever heard of a netti pot?

For kicks I bought one. Used it 1 time then put it away. Just too bizarre. But some claim it really helps them.

Heres a short vid with instructions...lol.

hxxp://www.himalayaninstitute.org/NetiPot/NetiPotInstructions.aspx

I Love my Netti Pot! :D I use it everyday. I have clear sinus always since I started using it 2 years ago.

I use to have terrible sinus infections that would last what seemed like forever and the pressure that would build in my face was unbearable at some times. My doctor would offer pills and I would accept (reluctently) and take and they would not help.

It wasnt until my 76 year old aunt told me of the netti that I finally found relief.

and personally I dont care how weird it looks while I'm using it, it works so well. any hoot I'm in my own bathroom with the door shut. it works!

it has become daily routine for me like brushing my teeth.

you should not fear this for it's natural and is actually quite soothing and healing.

netti pots are awesome. always used one, and always will.

got my wife to use that for her allergies too. clears up nasal infections great. hell clears up everything great. only with sea salt though, not regular salt (blah)

sometimes ill just fill a glass with warm water and salt then use a straw to put the water in, and just bust that up ythe nose lol. works just as good. just looks wierd ;)

as a nurse......milk for a cold is the worse thing you can drink....it makes more mucus in the nose and throat.My fav. old time remide is whisky and lemon and honey.works great.
( 1/2 QT.size jar.)
3 shots glass full of whiskey
1/2 lemon squeeze into jar
fill the jar the rest of the way with honey
shake and put in frig. until needed.
works great for cough.
take 2 table spoons at night before bed add lot of blankets on top of you and sweat it out......whiskey will let you sleep though it and help with the sweating.......You will wake up feeling alot better
hope you feel better soon

ok got a quick question. what is a netti pot?

An old English cure, get a man to wear the same socks for 5 days, day and night, when he takes them off you tie them together then tie the open ends around the persons neck and they sleep with it like that, no ive not tried it :rofl:

Slow, this is a netti pot lol

neti-pot-5.jpg

Latest posts

Back