GAME ON - Vicarious Grower No More!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THCPezDispenser

Makka Pakka Smoka Doob
Reaction score
So, I got the go ahead from the wife to start a grow! Here are her rules:

1) NEEDS TO BE TOTALLY HIDDEN - We both have "handy" fathers who love doing things in the basement where all my tools are, and where my grow needs to be.

2) NO SMELL - This is big time important. If she smells it, game over. I might need some suggestions and tips on this one.

3) 1 PLANT ONLY - She doesn't want multiple plants, 1 she will tolerate. From a quantity perspective, I am hoping I will be ok because I smoke about an ounce in 2 months, so if I can get a clone going into flower as one is harvested, I think I should be ok. But that system would bring me up to 3 plants (mother>clone on deck>clone flowering), so I need to think about this more.

The seed I have – yes, ONE seed – has a bit of a story as well. It is a bagseed, and the only one that I found in ½ ounce that I recently bought. To be honest, the weed I get is usually great and I have not seen a seed in the grass I have bought in probably close to 8 years, so this was a very dramatic moment for me, especially since I found it after thinking how awesome it would be to grow my own and about a week after I joined this forum in September 2007. I have kept the seed since then, and in that time:

1) I lost it. I had it thrown in my weed box, and one day pulling out papers I flicked it out on the floor. After a lengthy search, it was recovered.

2) I froze it. During a party at my house over Christmas, I left my weed box outside on a REALLY cold night. When I recovered the box the next day, I really didn’t think it would hurt the seed as I assumed they could probably last in a freezer or something. But when I looked at it, the seed had turned half black from the brown it had been. I figured it was dead at this point.

3) I nearly roasted it - So being excited about starting my seed and praying the freezing incident didn’t kill it I put it in a baggie, wrapped in a wet paper towel and laid it on the heating duct work in the basement. Next day I checked it and the bag was nearly too hot to handle, when the furnace kicked in it got HOT. I moved it to a cooler duct further away from the furnance.

It sprouted after 48 hours :D

4) I did roast it – Once it srouted and I put it in the pot, I had it too close to the floros and the first set of true leaves totally crisped. I thought it was a goner. I moved the lights away a bit, and let time take it’s course. It basically stopped growing for a few days, then came back strong.

So let me level set here and tell you that I am completely and utterly unorganized at the moment. I have a seedling started (out in the open in violation of Rule #1), with no flowering location yet identified. I really shouldn’t have started until all the gear was in place, but hey, I’m excited, you know?

With the abuse I have given this seed, and now seedling, I have probably already shocked it into being a hermie J Time will tell.

So the moment you have been waiting for – the pictures. This little seedling, for all it has been through, is BUSHY. You can see in the pictures that it is literally growing wider than it is tall, and the nodes are on top of each other. I am currently veging it under 6x2700 lumen 32W floros, color temp 6500K. Temp is around 72, humidity is around 35-40 percent.

I am planning on using a 100 W HPS security light for flowering, this should be lots for 1 plant. No CO2 enrichment planned, however since it is in the basement in close proximity to my gas furnance CO2 in the area should be more than enough.

I will do my next update when I figure out how to meet rule #1 and find a flowering spot. Need some GREEN MOJO to make this miracle child a girl so she can help me flush out my setup! But, if fate should dictate a male, I will collect some pollen.

One question before I finish - how bad is 1 flowering plant going to smell? I know it depends on strain, so let's assume an average plant as the weed it came from though good, is not overly skunky.

Edit: Picture taken today, 13 days since it broke ground.

GEDC0177 (Medium).JPG

GEDC0178 (Medium).JPG

GEDC0179 (Medium).JPG

it may not start to smell until flowering if its not too bad. This will give you a little time to weigh your options. sounds like the hard pert is going to be getting that first female clone and mother and still keep your wife happy. I'll send ya some GREEN MOJO

Well it's definitely an indica by the looks (skunk). You can always do a ghetto filter, a fan with a dryer sheet to mask the smell, should be enough for her (well her hopefully). If she's (wife) set on one plant, convince her of just two, that way you can take a clone and by some act of God rotate the process to stay in weed, to be honest you'll be better off to start from seed each time as you need extra space, two lights, etc., etc., etc.... and by the time you're done on flower with one the other will be 100 ft high...well almost. The wife will think so...:D Good luck, you can always buy it and keep your marriage...just a thought. :fid:

I'ma Joker Midnight Toker said:
Good luck, you can always buy it and keep your marriage...just a thought. :fid:

She's cool with it, we are past this point, and I think I will get away with multiple once I explain what I need to do. She already thinks the seedling is "cute" :hubba:

Looks like your off to a great start mang. Your little lady looks very healthy. Here's some GREEN MOJO to give her a boost. ;)

Lookin great man.Most likely a fem/hermie if it was the only bean in a 1/2 O.

Just hope that stress didnt kick it into a hermie,good luck;)

mero said:
haha wouldnt want to be you :p
keep us updated! :):)

There is nothing like a challenge man, human society was built by overcoming them :)

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
Looks like your off to a great start mang. Your little lady looks very healthy. Here's some GREEN MOJO to give her a boost. ;)

Thanks TBG, I'll try not to waste your MOJO!

Wise Man said:
Lookin great man.Most likely a fem/hermie if it was the only bean in a 1/2 O.

Just hope that stress didnt kick it into a hermie,good luck;)

That's what I am thinking too. If it is hermie, I fully plan on picking off male flowers as much as I can! Just want to try to finish a flower so I can get all the stuff set up. I think I have decided on a spot to flower, will update soon.

THCPezDispenser said:
It sprouted after 48 hours :D

I had to laugh out loud! Here's some MOJO for that bushy little thing!! Good luck...both with the plant, and your rules... :hitchair:

:rofl:

umbra said:
it may not start to smell until flowering if its not too bad. This will give you a little time to weigh your options

I gave it a strong sniff today, and nothing. All I can smell is soil so I don't have anything like I saw in KingKahuna's GJ where his young plants were danking out his garage :D

I think I will try to make an air-tight enclosure, and build some sort of active charcoal filter before the exaust fan. Hoping that will be enough. If not, I have a air purifier/ionizer I will throw in as well. I will probably do that anyway since I heard negative ions make a plant feel groovy about itself.

Edit: Might as well do this all in one post:

So I have moved forward a bit today. They were out of the 100W HPS security lights, so I picked up the 150W version. The extra capacity makes me feel warm inside. I will work on building the box over the next couple of days and update with photos when my MJ is in it's new home.

Yo man i hope its a young female, it would **** to get a male, you should try to re-negotiate with her, tell her that the males are no good to you and you need to up the ratio a bit so you have better chances, i mean while its still young - if thats not possible, i hereby bless this grow to be female :)

akirahz said:
Yo man i hope its a young female, it would **** to get a male, you should try to re-negotiate with her, tell her that the males are no good to you and you need to up the ratio a bit so you have better chances, i mean while its still young - if thats not possible, i hereby bless this grow to be female :)

She's good man, I can have one in progress and 1 in flower, she is cool with it. Rule #3 is gone. The basis behind rule #3 was she thought getting busted with more than 1 would be a big deal in Ontario, but up to 3 is apparently the same as 1? Any Canucks know for sure? I never questioned her on it :)

Yo THCPezDispenser,
WoW you got me excited for ya dude, Any bean that can go through that much stuff deserves to live, and live well. The first thing that you said that I liked was that you talked with your lady. That is cool to me, nothing better than sharing. Having your Lady involved makes her feel all warm too.
Those are some serious broad Indica leaves you got going there, almost like there is some duckfoot in there. The light sounds good, but I see a potential problem with the Inlaws. It was difficult to do, but I taught my mother inlaw that being nosey was not in her best interest. Father inlaws are different, and you might have to really come up with some good reason to kick his butt out of your basement.
Even though you did get some mojo, a little bit extra is deserved, so here is some of that famous GREEN MOJO as a thank you for the cute pics.th_GreenMojo 15.jpg

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

th_GreenMojo 15.jpg

hey dude, at least it germinated, heh, thats funny, it was obviously meant to be mang! keep it up dude, looks like a heavy sativa ya got, hope shes female!

Dc

I have started and nearly completed work on a grow box. I will be hiding it behind all the crap we have stored in the basement. It's a bit small, so I will try and have my little green lady short. Her busy growth so far is encouraging to that end, so I will probably put her into flower as soon as the box is ready.

The box dimensions are 18" x 18" x 4'. These dimensions are the result of trying to make this out of a single sheet of 4' x 8' plywood. It's a half inch thick, and thinking about it I should have gotten the thicker plywood, but oh well. I am framing it with 2"x2", so I will try and brace it up good to avoid warping. If not, next grow I will use the thicker wood and start again.

The light will be a 150W HPS, which should be way more than enough for a box that big. I have 2 case fans that will be installed, outtake on the top to remove heat, intake at the bottom to draw the CO2 that is probally sitting on the basement floor from the gas furnace. I have a quart of pure white flat paint to do the inside. I have the box on dolley wheels to move it easily, with a cord extending from it to plug it in, allowing me to keep this sucker moblie if the need arises.

Camera is out of commission, so I will get pictures as soon as that situation is rectified. In the mean time, for those interested in a similar box, here is the dimensions I had cut from the sheet of wood. It was only like 15 bucks, and they have a cutting shop in the big box stores so they can cut if for you for free and avoid the hassle of doing it yourself, and if you are like me with saws, doing a poor job of it :)

Image2.jpg

Not at all man, 1 is more than enough for what I smoke. If it doesn't work out volume wise, I will kick it up a notch, nut I think I will be ok. I am planning on reveging afterwards until I get some good genetics, and I have gibberllic acid on the way to do some self pollenation, but that is another thread sometime :)

Ok, figured out my phone camera for a quick shot. It's a little blurry, but you can see my lady's growth. She is starting to yellow just a tad and the false leaves are fading, so I am starting tomorrow with 1/4 mix of 20-20-20. Any suggestions on this? Should I use a different balance of fertilizer?

Image1.jpg

Latest posts

Back