potassium defiency with pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MennoTheWise

Purplehorn
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a couple of plants that are nearly 6 weeks into veg and I've got a suspected potassium deficiency on one of them. There is yellowing to brown spots around the leaf edges and the leaves appear very brittle and some have lacerations on them. I remedied it yesterday by adding some molasses to my fert mix which will hopefully fix the problem. If not I was gonna try a mollases foliar spray.

I have a good rich soil so I have kept my feeding to a minimum thus far. I feed once a week with a urine based fertilizer mixed with some liquid seaweed. No chemicals all organic is my motto. This is the first nutrient problem I have experienced this grow and other than the plant affected everything else is growing fantastically!

So I was wondering if anyone could indeed confirm this is a potassium deficiency. If anyone has had this problem before I'd love you to share your thoughts.

Presuming my attempts to fix it work, how long will it take the plant to recover?

Will the brown spots turn green again?

I think I've tackled this problem early as only one or two leaves appear affected.

P.S. The weird looking barriers around my plants base are oats and copper. Serious slug problems recently

(Just wanna say thanks to Hippy in advance as you'll probably rush to my aid as speedily as ever :D

K1(2).jpg

K2(2).jpg

Well the problem doesn't seem to be escalating. Thanks for the help...

It looks mild to me. I would increase the nutes a little but there are so many variables out doors that it could be a number of things. Necrotic or brown spots typically don't return to the green they once had. The browning usually means those isolated areas are dead. Discoloration can return to normal however. With the slugs I use Sluggo if your measures are not enough- it's great stuff and works well although reapplication is necesary. Best of luck............

Thanks for the response jman. It took about a week but I finally got one!

I thought the problem was a potassium def so I amended with some molasses which seemed to work. In hindsight it was only the bottom set of leaves that was affected (not cotelydons) and I heard somewhere that is not uncommon for them to die off anyways. Is this true?

Howdy Menno, I don't worry about bottom leaf or two. I've found that they usually have funny looking spots/edges. I have a theory that they are sort of a buffer for they plant...soaking up extra elements and giving up a few of the mobile ones if needed...causing weird looking things to happen to them.

Thanks Budders! It's good to learn these things. I'm glad I didn't take any more drastic action which is always the temptation. Like I said things are looking pretty good for the moment.

In fact the plant in question rocketed up in the last week! Maybe the molasses did something after all!

That's a good theory Budders. Lower leaves do frequently get culled out as the plant grows. They naturally become less productive because the plant concentrates it's food production in leaves under more direct sun light.

As far as the molassas it takes a few days and sometimes weeks to fully break down into usable and absorbable sugars. Best of luck, sounds like things are on the way.........

MennoTheWise said:
Well the problem doesn't seem to be escalating. Thanks for the help...

Hello Menno :)

The sick section is a popular section, if your post is getting no replies its best to :bump: it back to the top now and again because lots of posts are added in this section and yours can get buried deep very quickly ;)

Glad to hear the plant seems to be doing well :aok:

:peace:

Latest posts

Back