problem with heat.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stas

Reaction score
I Went to my local hydroponics store the other day and finally decided to step up and buy a HPS light but i wanted to go small and just start with a 150 watt system. when i arrived i was shown the sunburst 150 watt system and was ready to buy it until he realized they were out of stock of 150 watt hps bulbs so he gave me a 250 watt system for the same price. So i could not resist the deal and said yes instantly not even thinking about the heat factor. i only have a area that is about 5 foot by 5 foot. So i got the flanges necessary and i bought a 4" inductor fan rated at 80 cfm because i thought it would be enough power for the little amount of money but i was wrong. I was just seeing what rated CFM fan would someone recommend? and Maybe even brands since i am a beginner grower and don't have to much experience with all of the equipment yet.

A 5x5 area needs about 1000 watts HPS.
Good thing you got the 250, its good for about 5.8 sq/ft. perhaps you can shrink your area.

AS for heat, how hot is it now and how are you venting it? I know you said it was a 88 cfm fan.

I think the rule of thumb is find the total area LxWxH in cubic feet and use a fan that vents out amount 2-3 times per minute.

I run a 250 watter and my house's temp stays at about 65, that light heats my grow closet to about 73 (well I have other lights but they are all air cooled, I don't run any cooling on this light) so you should be just fine with that fan cooling your light.

Yeah It was a 88 cfm fan and it did vent out the air a decent amount but the temperature was still high In the room it would not keep the room at a constant temperature it would just gradually increase to the high 90s untill the light would go off. So I went out and bought a 177cfm cyclone fan and now it keeps the temp at a constant 85 degrees. Thank you for the help in the future I want to make a more advanced setup and maybe get a higher voltage light. But it's all in due time

i run a 400hps in a smaller closet half that size with no problems even in summer,,well not since i added an input and output with comp fans and another inside :p :peace:

Yea I know your pain man. I dont have any place for ventalation in my growroom so it gets up to like 100F by the end of the day. I have a co2 and a reg so My plants have been doing okay.

It sucks Ive looked so hard for a cheap indoor airconditioner but the ones that dont need to be in a window are like $150 and Im straped for cash lately so Ill just have to wait.

Good luck with that heat problem man.

I think you'll get good results with your light and shouldn't have a problem venting enough to keep the temps down. Just remember that you will only keep the room temperature down to whatever the temperature of the air you are bringing in is. You should have a vent coming in from the bottom of the room to suck cool air in along with a vent at the top with the fan blowing out the hot air. This keeps the air circulating throughout the room also. If you have anymore problems be sure to ask, glad to see you got a decent price on your light.

Thanks everyone for the help. sorry for the delay with the reply i been having computer problems but i ended up having my temp around 80 throughout the grow and it turned out to be my first successful grow. Now i am switching my setup by putting in a input fan so that there is a constant flow of cool air and i made the room completely air tight so there is no odor escaping. I want to mess around with CO2 in the future but not really sure where to exactly start with the project

Latest posts

Back